Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Categories/Allow multiple entries within each category
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Allow multiple entries within each category
- Problem: Sometimes, multiple entries within a category would be useful. For instance, on the French wiktionary there is a listing of French verbs that includes both the infinitive form (e.g. aimer) and a pronominal form (s’aimer). But which sort key should be given to the pronominal form? Equally valid arguments apply for a « aimer s » key and a « saimer » key. Ideally, the entry would appear twice in the category, under those two keys. There are other examples, such as proper nouns beginning with a definite article (e.g. Le Mans should be categorised under « Mans Le » and « Le Mans »).
- Proposed solution: Possibly add to the wiki software a magic word that can be used to specify a second (third, fourth, etc.) entry in a category’s index. Other wikicode approaches may be possible.
- Who would benefit: Wiktionaries, other wiki projects.
- More comments: This could be merged with the proposal for Context-dependent sort keys, depending on the technical solution chosen.
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: Urhixidur (talk) 20:36, 14 January 2022 (UTC)
- I would make a different entry as the modified form (as a redirect or otherwise) and then add the category to that page. Why don't you do that? --Izno (talk) 02:08, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
- That wouldn't work at all for some projects. The Wiktionary, for instance, explicitly bans redirects. Urhixidur (talk) 14:58, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support —The Editor's Apprentice (talk) 19:44, 28 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support In Wiktionary, there can be multi-language entries, and it will help the categorization. Thingofme (talk) 11:09, 30 January 2022 (UTC)
- Support Urhixidur (talk) 16:06, 3 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Ciao • Bestoernesto • ✉ 03:08, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support --Luan (discussão) 14:25, 6 February 2022 (UTC)
- Support Svetovid (talk) 22:01, 6 February 2022 (UTC)