Community Wishlist Survey 2021/Watchlists/Automatically add subpages in the watchlist
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
Automatically add subpages in the watchlist
- Problem: On several wiki, the archives of community discussions are structured as "Commons:Village pump/ArchiveYYYY/MM" (this is an example with Commons but this is the same idea on other projects and languages). Not talking about archives, some community discussions are stuctured this way: "Wiktionnaire:Questions_techniques/MM_YYYY" which means there is a new page to watch each month. This leads to the creation of such list.
- Who would benefit: every contributor who watch community discussion pages that use subpages. It will allow to see a change in an archived discussion.
- Proposed solution: Mediawiki should offer a new button next to the "Watch this page" button. This new button would be "Watch this page and all subpages". Clicking on such button, if a contributor chooses to watch Wiki:XXX, then all subpages are automatically added to the watchlist Wiki:XXXX/aaa, Wiki:XXXX/bbb, Wiki:XXXX/cccc, ... When one subpage is created, it is automatically added to the watchlist of user who watch this main page.
- More comments: I think one should allow users to be able to remove subpages individually from their watchlists. For exemple, if one watches Wiki:XXXX, then Wiki:XXXX/aaa and Wiki:XXXX/bbbb are automatically added to the watchlist. Yet, one should be able to remove manually Wiki:XXXX/aaa.
- It appears that Extension:WatchSubpages has been developed for this purpose but it is not deployed on any wiki because it needs to pass several reviews. The developer, Prod started the review process but did not finish it. So I think an official support by the MediaWiki developers is a way to see this extension alive.
- Phabricator tickets: tag/mediawiki-extensions-watchsubpages
- Proposer: Pamputt (talk) 20:12, 20 November 2020 (UTC)
- Yes, this would be useful! HeartGlow30797 (talk) 14:39, 22 November 2020 (UTC)
- Support Jo-Jo Eumerus (talk, contributions) 18:39, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Stryn (talk) 20:40, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support YFdyh000 (talk) 22:30, 8 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support * Pppery * it has begun 02:12, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support ✍ Janwo Disk./de:wp 03:01, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support // Lollipoplollipoplollipop :: talk 03:04, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Samwalton9 (talk) 09:54, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Sgd. —Hasley 12:50, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Excellent proposal so that subpages of the main are also on your watchlist. WikiFer msg 16:42, 9 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 20:47, 10 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support James Martindale (talk) 17:50, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support KasciJ (talk) 18:09, 11 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Hazard-SJ (talk) 04:33, 13 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Golmore (talk) 10:51, 13 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support —— Eric Liu（留言．百科用戶頁） 11:57, 14 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Doggy54321 (talk) 17:14, 14 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Pinage404 (talk) 22:39, 14 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support, but only as an option (pop-up asking about it). I generally have no interest whatsoever in watchlisting talk page archives, sandboxes, etc., nor do many other editors. — SMcCandlish ☺ ☏ ¢ >ʌⱷ҅ᴥⱷʌ< 08:30, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support — Draceane talkcontrib. 13:51, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support SeGiba (talk) 18:02, 15 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support Ahmadtalk 04:39, 21 December 2020 (UTC)