Wikisource Community User Group/Wikimedia Summit 2019
This vote is now closed.
By 13 supports against 11, Gurlal Maan is selected to represent the user group at the Summit.
This page is to select the representative of the Wikisource Community User Group to Wikimedia Summit 2019 in Berlin, 29 March–2 April 2019 (also known as "Wikimedia Conference" or "Chapters Meeting"). The Wikisource Community User Group is allowed to one representative (given that the condition of eligibility are met).
- Submit and discuss with candidates: December 1 to December 7, 2018
- Vote on proposals: December 8 to December 14, 2018
- Results: December 15, 2018
Everyone is welcome to be candidate, but they should have very good knowledge of the Wikisource Community and being able to travel to the Summit (availability, passport, visa, etc.).
I am proposing the name of @Jayantanth: to represent Wikisource User Group in Wikimedia Summit. He is one of the most experienced Wikimedia volunteer in India, a former Wikimedia India president and a dedicated Bengali Wikisourcer. He is not only building Bengali Wikisource from the scratch, but also, as a part of CIS-A2K, simultaneously building the capacity of other Indic Wikisource projects, the most recent examples being, two workshops for newly built Punjabi Wikisource project. He has also planned and organized Indic Wikisource Community Consultation 2018 last week, where representatives of all Indic Wikisource communities were called to participate and chalk-out future roadmap in the spirit of language equity. I hope, he will confirm from his side to agree with this proposal. -- Bodhisattwa (talk) 12:37, 30 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support VIGNERON * discut. 15:23, 8 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Ankry (talk) 16:59, 8 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Alex brollo (talk) 22:44, 8 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support He is also assisting Hindi Community in bringing Wikisouce community out of incubation. Secondly, as a former President of the National Chapter in India he has expertise on working with different languages. --Abhinav619 (talk) 15:54, 9 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support - εΔω 14:55, 10 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support. We need to pick only one representative, someone experienced is probably better. If we were able to send two people, having one experienced and one promising people would have been the way to go. Tpt (talk) 12:08, 13 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support. As nominator. I completely agree with Tpt. -- Bodhisattwa (talk) 16:24, 13 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Strong Support. --Ranjithsiji (talk) 12:21, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support --Ambadyanands (talk) 12:28, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Suyash Dwivedi (talk) 16:41, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Sankoswal (talk) 07:27, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
Punjabi Wikisource is a emerging project that came into existence as a separate domain in April 2017 becoming the youngest Indic Wikisource. Currently, it is a focused project of Punjabi Wikimedians and CIS-A2K.
I am working on Punjabi Wikisource since May 2017. I started working on Wikisource by 100Wikisource challenge when OCR wasn't working on Punjabi Wikisource and I typed and formatted one page a day for 100 days. I have been involved in bringing new books for Punjabi Wikisource by collaboration with Punjabi Sahit Academy, Ludhiana and Guerilla GLAM. I have also been involved in certain other offline activities to increase awareness of Wikisource. I have also worked extensively to engage new editors on Punjabi Wikisource by doing workshops and proofreading events.
I helped organize Wikisource Workshop for the entire Punjabi Wikisource community where Jayantanth was the resource person. I also participated in the Indic Wikisource Community Consultation 2018 as a Punjabi Wikisource representative.
What I want to learn at the Wikimedia Summit 2019 edit
If I get selected, this will be my first Wikimedia Summit and I would like to use this opportunity to take this talk more about the Proofreading events we have been doing in Punjabi and how those can be replicated in other communities similar to Wikipedia edit-a-thons. I am also interested to get engaged with the Global Wikisource community and think about ways to take the User Group forward. I am also interested in learning more about how to effectively train people to contribute to our projects which would include improving my communication skills.
After attending the summit, I would be interested in preparing good documentation to help people collaborate with GLAM institutions and also how to design Proofreading events and contests. --Gurlal Maan (talk) 18:31, 6 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support He is doing a great job! - Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 17:43, 10 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support I strongly support Gurlal Maan because he has been actively working on Punjabi Wiki source. His contribution to Punjabi wiki source is remarkable. It is because of his unconditional efforts, that we’ve initiated this project successfully. Considering the hard work that he puts in for Wikipedia, I really feel that he should be a part of team that attends Berlin Conference. His learnings can be of huge help for Punjabi Wiki source and Wikipedia.- Stalinjeet Brar (talk) 16:06, 11 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Gurlal is much interested in Wikisource project, preserving books, bringing them for public. He is helping the Punjabi community in all possible ways. The Berlin meet will be a great inspiration for him and all his community works. --Tshrinivasan (talk) 19:09, 11 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support He is doing a great job! - --TVA ARUN (talk) 09:20, 13 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support. We need to support the younger generation and build a new cadre of leadership.--Naḥum (talk) 11:26, 13 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Gurlal is doing a great job in Panjabi Wikisource. He should get this chance. -- Sangaram Keshari Senapati (talk) 12:01, 13 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Jayantanth is doing great work as Wikisource Advisor with the CIS-A2K and helping many Wikisource communities in building new capacities but I also agree with Naḥum that we should be building more leadership. I am quite sure that Gurlal will learn quickly and help us take the User Group and the larger mission forward. --Satdeep Gill (talk) 12:21, 13 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support I strongly support Gurlal Maan --BHARATHESHA ALASANDEMAJALU (talk) 16:31, 13 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support I strongly support Gurlal Maan. Because he has been actively working on Punjabi Wiki source.--கி.மூர்த்தி (talk) 16:32, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support It's good to send new people to conferences to groom new leaders. --Charan Gill (talk) 17:13, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support Gitartha.bordoloi (talk) 17:42, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support --ਨਿਸ਼ਾਨ ਸਿੰਘ ਵਿਰਦੀ (talk) 18:50, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support--Dugal harpreet (talk) 22:46, 14 December 2018 (UTC)
- Registration for the Summit closes on Monday at midnight CET, December 17, 2018.
- « Affiliates are asked to only send delegates that are well-informed in goings-on at the affiliate, able to confidently answer questions about it and share experience from their group. » per Wikimedia Summit 2019/Eligibility Criteria
- Punjabi Wikisource Awareness at Radio Akashwani Patiala 100.2 MHz (13 May 2018)
- Punjabi Wikimedians/Events/Wiki Awareness At Nakodar (18 March 2018)
- Punjabi Wikimedians/Events/Punjabi Wikisource 2nd Proofreading Event (15 September 2018)
- Punjabi Wikimedians/Events/Punjabi Wikisource 1st Proofreading Event (12 August 2018)
- Wiki Workshop/Punjabi University Patiala (29 November 2017)