Wikipedians of North Caucasus User Group
|English · русский|
Wikipedians of North Caucasus User Group (Russian Группа участников-википедистов Северного Кавказа, Chechen Къилбаседа Кавказан Википеди декъашхойн тоба, Ossetian Цӕгат Кавказы Википеди архайджыты къорд, Lezgi Кеферпатан Къавкъаздин Википедиядин уртахрин группа) is a group of people interested in Wikimedia projects in the languages of the North Caucasus and topics related to the people, culture and community of this region.
There are 10 Wikipedia editions in the languages of the North Caucasus, another 12 projects are developed in the Wikimedia Incubator. The largest edition is the Chechen Wikipedia (more than 220 thousand articles). However, most of the Wikipedia editions in the region have 1-2 thousand articles, as well as a small number of participants. In order to attract new users, develop new Wikipedia editions in the languages of indigenous peoples, and increase the knowledge about the North Caucasus in all languages of the world, we decided to register this group.
Our group is primarily dedicated to supporting and developing indigenous languages in the North Caucasian Federal District of the Russian Federation. We are also open to supporting projects in other geographically, culturally and historically close regions - for example, in Kalmykia and Adygea.
- Promotion of Wikipedia editions in the languages of the North Caucasus;
- Promotion of topics related to the North Caucasian languages, culture and communities in the wiki projects in different languages;
- Engagement of new people into the Wikimedia movement, especially in the regions of the North Caucasus;
- Cooperating with local authorities, organizations and individuals to receive grants and other materials to promote free knowledge.
- Organizing wikimeetups, regional seminars, wiki-clubs etc.;
- Promoting Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects within North Caucasian region;
- Organizing article and photo contests and thematic weeks;
- Joining projects organized and promoted by Wikimedia RU (Wikimedia chapter in Russia) and Wikimedia Foundation (first goal is to take part in CEE Spring 2020).
Read here about our history.
- November 2018 - May 2019 - for the first time, authors of Chechen and Lezgi Wikipedia editions participated in an international competition on twin cities organized by Wikimedia RU in 2018—2019.
- March - During the Wikimedia Summit in Berlin, a decision to organize the international competition Wiki Loves Caucasus was made.
- 17 August - Mehman Ibragimov (Mehman97) (Wikimedia Georgia User Group), one of the global organizers, and Soul Train (Wikimedia RU member), regional organizer at North Caucasus, made reports on Wiki Loves Caucasus 2019 contest at Community Growth space of Wikimania 2019 in Stockholm.
- 28-29 September 2019 - Participation in the Russian WikiConference-2019 in Moscow. Soul Train: reports on preparation of Wiki Loves Caucasus contest and on the current situation in Russian regional Wikipedia editions (YouTube).
- Done 7 October – 7 November 2019 - Participation in the Wiki Loves Caucasus 2019 international contest (online).
- Russia (North Caucasus) ranked second in terms of the number of articles created about this country (after Azerbaijan).
- Participants from the Ossetian Wikipedia wrote 13 articles, participants from the Chechen and Lezgi Wikipedia created 30 articles each. This was the first international article contest for them.
- 10 October - 4,000 articles were created in the Lezgi Wikipedia (during the WLC contest).
- 11-13 October 2019 - Participation in the Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2019 (Belgrade, Serbia). On 12 October, Soul Train (as an additional participant from Wikimedia RU) made a report on the organization of the Wiki Loves Caucasus 2019 article contest.
- 23 October, 2019 - Wikipedians of North Caucasus User Group officially recognized by the Affiliations Committee (Resolution)
- 27 October, 2019 - Viatcheslav Ivanov made a report on the creation of the Wikipedians of North Caucasus User Group at the 13th Language Festival in St. Petersburg (Section "Wikiprojects as an important tool for preserving the languages of the peoples of Russia")
- Done 8-10 November, 2019 - Organization and conduct of the first Wiki-meetup in Chechen Republic (National Library of the Chechen Republic, Grozny, Chechnya). Report for students and teachers of the Chechen State University on the upcoming competition for writing articles about outstanding graduates and mentors. Press release about the events that took place in Grozny on 8-10 November 2019 at WMRU site (in Russian).
- First issue of the Booklet of Wikipedians of North Caucasus User Group has been prepared (in Russian).
- Done 26 November, 2019 - A workshop “Ossetian language and the Internet: problems and development tools” was held in Vladikavkaz, North Ossetia–Alania. Among the topics: social network VK, MediaWiki content management system interface, content of the Ossetian Wikipedia, other wiki-projects such as Wikinews etc. Amikeco was one of the organizers. Here is the report and interview with Viatcheslav Ivanov on the "Iryston TV" channel (11:26 - 26:01). Another article at Kavkaz.Realii. Another article at Osnova news site. Meeting report.
Plan of eventsEdit
- Done 1 December, 2019 - Soul Train made a presentation “Wiki projects as a tool for preserving the languages of the peoples of Russia” at the 14th Moscow International Festival of Languages. Photo.
- 1-31 December 2019 - Wikipedians of North Caucasus UG will be co-organizer of Russian part of the 3rd edition of Bridges across Cultures international contest (together with Wikimedia Russia and Wikimedians of Bashkortostan UG). Authors from the Lezgi and Chechen Wikipedia (as well as Russian and Bashkir) will take part in the contest.
Criteria for joining the groupEdit
Any user, regardless of his language, can join the user group if he shares the goals of the Wikimedia Movement (promoting of free knowledge) and has an interest in the North Caucasian-related theme. Please contact our membership team by email or using their talk page of any Wikimedia project in which these users are active.
- Soul Train Russian, English, Spanish, Portuguese (Russian WP — home project, sysop in Lezgi WP and Bashkir WP)
- Amikeco Russian, Esperanto, Ossetic, English (sysop in Ossetian WP)
- Takhirgeran Umar Chechen, Russian, English (sysop in Chechen WP)
- User from Dag Lezghian, Russian, German, English (sysop in Lezgi WP)
- Mugerganets Lezghian, Russian, Ukrainian, English (sysop in Lezgi WP)
Designated Contacts for Wikimedia FoundationEdit
Interested in participatingEdit
- — Soul Train (talk) 00:53, 1 September 2019 (UTC)
- --Takhirgeran Umar (talk) 20:24, 1 September 2019 (UTC)
- — Mugerganets 16:00, 2 September 2019 (UTC)
- — User from Dag (talk) 15:36, 2 September 2019 (UTC)
- — Aslan Xasiyev (talk) 16:58, 2 September 2019 (UTC)
- - Саид Мисарбиев (talk) 17:27, 3 September 2019 (UTC)
- Amikeco (talk) 21:51, 3 September 2019 (UTC)
- Urs syrx bur (talk) 06:48, 5 September 2019 (UTC)
- Mr.Fyrank (talk) 20:31, 20 September 2019 (UTC)
- --Рөстәм Нурыев (talk) 04:21, 21 September 2019 (UTC)
- Maqivi (talk) 19:17, 25 September 2019 (UTC)
- --Erzianj jurnalist (talk) 22:36, 25 October 2019 (UTC)
- Simba16 (talk) 17:05, 8 November 2019 (UTC)