Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand
Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand, known informally as Wikimedia Aotearoa New Zealand, Wikimedia Aotearoa, or WANZ, is a user group of Wikimedians who are interested in organising and participating in outreach activities in New Zealand.
|Wikimedia Aotearoa New Zealand|
|Approval date||17 December 2019|
|Official language(s)||English, Māori|
How to joinEdit
Our membership is open to everyone. If you wish to join Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand, simply put your name in the Members section below. We also recommend people join our FB group where we discuss current issues around Wikimedia projects in relation to Aotearoa and share editing tools and ideas. You're welcome to come along to one of our regular meetups as well.
Add your User name to the list by adding an asterisk and four tildes like this: * ~~~~
- Podzemnik (talk) 12:34, 19 January 2019 (UTC)
- Jonathanischoice (talk) 12:56, 20 January 2019 (UTC)
- Giantflightlessbirds (talk) 20:05, 20 January 2019 (UTC)
- Ambrosia10 (talk) 23:18, 20 January 2019 (UTC)
- Kiwichris (talk) 07:09, 22 January 2019 (UTC)
- Stuartyeates (talk) 04:44, 10 February 2019 (UTC)
- Schwede66 (talk) 06:10, 30 May 2019
- Einebillion (talk) 01:39, 8 June 2019 (UTC)
- MurielMary (talk) 10:57, 1 July 2019 (UTC)
- DrThneed (talk) 11:47, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
- OhValencia (talk) 11:47, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
- Catsandthings (talk) 07:24, 23 December 2019 (UTC)
- David Nind (talk) 12:00, 21 January 2020 (UTC)
- Gadfium (talk) 17:48, 29 January 2020 (UTC)
- Ciell (talk) 17:41, 21 February 2020 (UTC) No facebook here. You can find me on Twitter, Telegram, and Wiki Tribune.
- Gertrude206 (talk) 22:54, 28 February 2020 (UTC)
- Digipres (talk) 12:12, 2 March 2020 (UTC)
- MagicPie97 (talk) 23:24, 1 March 2020 (UTC)
- Canley (talk) 06:09, 28 March 2020 (UTC)
- MargaretRDonald (talk) 05:57, 11 April 2020 (UTC)
- Marshelec (talk) 7 May 2020
- Quilt Phase (talk) 20:01, 9 May 2020 (UTC)
- Pippipip (talk) 07:46, 4 July 2020 (UTC)
- Oronsay (talk) 23:43, 4 July 2020 (UTC)
- Quixoticelixer- (talk) 06:54, 13 July 2020 (UTC)
- Noracrentiss (talk) 00:56, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- SHISHIR DUA (talk) 06:48, 26 November 2020 (UTC)
- Slowking4 (talk) 23:09, 2 January 2021 (UTC)
- Lcmortensen (talk) 08:13, 3 January 2021 (UTC)
- Pakoire (talk) 21:09, 8 February 2021 (UTC)
- Beeswaxcandle (talk) 03:14, 11 February 2021 (UTC)
- Prosperosity (talk) 23:41, 27 February 2021 (UTC)
- Pseudopanax (talk) 09:41, 20 March 2021 (UTC)
- Julie Oystercatcher (talk) 07:29, 01 April 2021 (UTC)
- Supertrinko (talk) 21:11, 27 May 2021 (UTC)
- Matthewryalt (talk) 12:56, 28 August 2021 (UTC)
- Dick Bos (talk) 09:48, 4 December 2021 (UTC)
- Syddii (talk) 09:41, 26 March 2022 (UTC)
- Peter0027 (talk) 08:50, 27 March 2022 (UTC)
- Stitchbird2 (talk) 04:51, 24 June 2022 (UTC)
- Chocmilk03 (talk) 23:05, 18 July 2022 (UTC)
- Paora (talk) 01:09, 11 January 2023 (UTC)
- Dactylantha (talk) 23:46, 12 February 2023 (UTC)
- Kowhaiarewhana (talk) 03:48, 18 February 2023 (UTC)
Our Vision and MissionEdit
We are invested in the vision of the Wikimedia Foundation: Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. That’s our commitment.
Our kaupapa | mission is:
- To support the Wikimedia Foundation’s mission in New Zealand: To empower and engage people to collect and develop educational content under a free licence, so it can be shared and reused freely for any purpose
- To represent the New Zealand contributors to Wikimedia projects
- To provide qualified support to our members and the public
- To empower our members and support their activities
- To develop and maintain long-lasting supportive relationships with New Zealand institutions that share the same or similar goals
The Strategy of the Wikimedia Aotearoa New Zealand Incorporated 2022 - 2025Edit
The Committee of Wikimedia Aotearoa New Zealand have developed a strategy and incorporated feedback from members of the Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand that are New Zealanders or residents of Pacific islands without an established chapter. The final and accepted strategy can be read using this Google docs link.
2022/23 Top Priority: IncorporationEdit
The User group recognised that incorporation was needed to establish a formal organisation so that we can apply for and receive significant grants to recruit editors and organisers, and promote and support the development of content on Wikimedia Foundation platforms. We need funding to support our activities and increase participation by New Zealand residents and those associated with our country. User Group members created a Wikimeida Aotearoa New Zealand Establishment Working Group (WEWG), wrote a [draft constitition], and held a community meeting to approve establishing Wikimedia Aotearoa New Zealand Incorporated ("WANZ Inc") as an Incorporated Society, approve registering the incorporated society as a charitable entity, and elect a committee. The meeting was held on Thursday 17 March 2022.
The committee is:
- President Einebillion (Victoria Leachman)
- Vice-President Giantflightlessbirds (Mike Dickison)
- Treasurer Marshelec (Marshall Clark)
- Secretary Noracrentiss (Christine Richardson)
- Committee member MurielMary
- Committee member Schwede66
- Committee member Pakoire
Contact information for the Committee: secretary[at]wikimedia.nz
The WANZ Committee commit to:
- gathering 15 signatures for the application for incorporation - completed
- submitting the application to the Registrar of Incorporated Societies - completed
- The incorporation of WANZ was approved by the New Zealand Companies Office on 7 April 2022. The constitution is available as a pdf on this website.
- assembling an application for Wikimedia Foundation funding for the April 2022 round to enable the Society to provide funding for outreach activites and administration purposes - completed
- The User Group was successful in seeking a General Support grant from Wikimedia Foundation for operational funds and was allocated funds totalling $NZ 45,754.35 for 2022/23.
- applying for registration as a charity with Charities Services - completed
- The Wikimedia Aotearoa New Zealand Incorporated society was registered as a charity in New Zealand on 21 April 2022.
- establishing a bank account for the incorporated society and transferring funds - completed
- applying for an IRD number with Inland Revenue - completed
- working with WMF on next steps for organisational name change - progressing
- reviewing and endorsing a set of Standard Operating Procedures. These SOPs will cover the everyday running of WANZ including things like Role Descriptions for Committee Members, a committment to open and transparent record keeping, comms platform selection etc. - progressing
- holding an AGM in April 2023 - completed
What will be the entitlements and obligations of being a Member of WANZ Inc?Edit
Entitlements: Members of WANZ Inc can
- stand for election to the Committee
- vote at the AGM
- Members must pay an annual membership fee (determined at the AGM) in order to retain their entitlements as a member. Members can resign their membership at any time.
2022 funding applicationsEdit
Rapid Fund funding application for March 2022Edit
WANZ sought and was granted rapid grant funding to allow the new board of the incorporated society Wikimedia Aotearoa New Zealand to run an in person facilitated strategy weekend. The strategy weekend occurred on the weekend of 28/29 May 2022 and was very successful.
General Fund funding application for April 2022Edit
WANZ sought and was granted general support funding for the period June 2022 to June 2023
A mid year (due 15 Jan 2023) and end of year report (due 31 July 2023) must be drafted and submitted in the Fluxx Wikimedia Foundation Funds Portal detailing activities, metrics and budget spend. The report must refer to the activities documented in the inital application.
2023 funding applicationsEdit
General Fund funding application for April 2023Edit
WANZ is seeking general support funding for our affiliate for the period July 2023 to June 2026. This is the application page.
Annual Activity Reports, other reporting, other links to useful documentationEdit
WANZ also reports in the Wiki-GLAM newsletter and in Diff blog posts
2023 Current Annual Report in DraftEdit
The WANZ Annual Activity Reports cover the calendar year from January to December. User Group members are encouraged to contribute to the report through the reporting year. Reports must be completed annually and lodged in the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal page in January of each year to ensure the group can retain its User Group status. In 2023 there will be a discussion in the committee about aligning financial reporting with our broader activity reporting.
Past Annual ReportsEdit
Wikimedia Foundation Conferences and Events ReportsEdit
The user group also reports in the Wiki-GLAM newsletter and in Diff blog posts
- 2022/23 General Funding Application draft in Google docs
- 2022/23 General Funding Application Budget draft
- Audience Impact Model draft to detail success metrics This needs much more development to make it a useful framework and repeatable to track success and changes through multiple years.
Where we meetEdit
There are regular meetings around New Zealand including in Wellington, Christchurch, Ara Institute of Canterbury City Campus and online. There are irregular meetings in other cities across the country too.
For more information, please see the relevant pages on English Wikipedia:
Priorities updated for 2022Edit
- Consolidate our communication channels into an email database.
- An email database has been collated by Giantflightlessbirds. Please contact Giantflightlessbirds to be added to this mailing list to receive a regular User Group newsletter.Einebillion (talk) 02:38, 6 December 2020 (UTC)
- A 15 minute timeslot at the Aotearoa Online Meetup has been reserved to discuss User Group business.Einebillion (talk) 02:38, 6 December 2020 (UTC)
- Keep organising editathons in Wellington, monthly meetings in Christchurch and provide support for our Auckland editors to start regular meetings in our biggest city.
- Established and regular meetups are occurring online and in Wellington, Christchurch and the West Coast. As at 9 April 2022 Auckland is holding it's first meeting after a COVID hiatus.
- Run and document activities for 2–3 years
- Set up a legal structure
- Options described here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KyR_-c02d8UfcMFvxPJkp1u4QKSHWJ2H/view?usp=sharing
- Members discussed the proposal to incorporate at the 2021 WikiCons and during the Aotearoa New Zealand Online meetups and agreed that incorporation and registration as a Charity was the priority for 2022.
- The advances we've made on creating an incorporated society is detailed in this section.
- Apply for funding from Wikimedia Foundation that would allow us to cover our running costs including traveling to different cities for appropriate events like book festivals and library conferences where we’d like to promote Wikimedia's projects and WMF mission in New Zealand.
- This group has successfully applied for Rapid Grant funding bids for the 2021 WikiCons and project funding bids have been submitted by individual members of this group.
- The user group is seeking administrative funding for the period June 2022 to December 2023 from the General Grant Fund. See draft application This funding is intended to pay for costs of administering and advancing the organisation and incorporation of the Wikimedia Aotearoa New Zealand incorporated society.
- Find and connect with more active members within the local community
- We'd also like to reach out to users of te reo Māori and encourage the revitalisation of Wikipedia Māori
- Eventually, we'd like to create a regular chapter that would serve not only contributors from New Zealand but the whole South Pacific including Niue, Samoa, Cook Islands, Tonga or Fiji. New Zealand has strong ties with the Pacific Islands and it’s widely seen as the main center of the Southern Pacific with large Pacific Island populations living in New Zealand. We'd like our chapter to be no different. This is a big vision for us and we know we have a long way to go, but as editors who have been involved with Wikimedia’s movement for many years, we have learned that with patience and hard, consistent work we can reach our goals.
- Wikipedia:WikiProject New Zealand on English Wikipedia
- Wikimedia User Groups Requirements
Affiliations Committee resolutionsEdit
There was an attempt to create a local chapter around 2006. One of the goals that drove the formation of this group was to renew a discussion about creating a chapter in the future. Before we can make a chapter, we need to have run a User Group with a range of well-documented activities for two years, so establishing this group was the first step.
From June 2018 to June 2019 Mike Dickison ran activities as the New Zealand Wikipedian at Large. Mike was keen to see a user group start, and created a mailing list of potential members.
A Wellington physical meetup was established which went online during the first New Zealand COVID lockdown. This resulted in more coordinated communication across New Zealand and an increase in participation in User Group activities.
The user group was formally recognised by the Wikimedia Foundation on 17 December 2019.
The Wikimedia Foundation has asked the User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand to identify which of the movement's strategy recommendations are our priorities for implementation in 2021 and what ideas from the Movement Strategy recommendations respond to our needs and will have an impact in the movement. The aim of prioritization is to create an 18-month implementation plan to take some of the initiatives forward starting in 2021. The 10 recommendations are described here
The attendees of the Aotearoa New Zealand Online Meetup 4 decided on
- Improve User Experience
- Invest in Skills and Leadership Development
- Provide for Safety and Inclusion.
2021 conference / training / GLAM outreach and inclusion eventsEdit
In October 2020 the User group started work on developing a forward program of weekend events for 2021. The organising committee are:
There are three WikiCon weekends being planned for 2021. The locations are Hokitika in 19-21 March, Auckland in 16-18 July and Wellington in November. For further information please see the WikiCon pages.
- West Coast WikiCon Delivered
- Auckland WikiCon Delivered
- Wellington WikiCon 26-28 November 2021 CANCELLED
Rolling Meeting Notes and action points (Google docs): https://docs.google.com/document/d/15CbPZIxDz-zfx53g2okZ9okBDfYGGIjcaIGfmdEHmSo/edit?usp=sharing
Wikipedia Rapid grant funding report for Auckland WikiCon: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/MurielMary/Auckland_Museum_Editathon/Report
Wikipedia Rapid grant funding application for Auckland WikiCon: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/MurielMary/Auckland_Museum_Editathon -
Planning document (Google docs) for West Coast WikiCon: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1agm1PwoyHpdu_DGBzt6O7jYrUIdUqnvAJDDgdWA6aes/edit?usp=sharing
Wikipedia Rapid grant funding application for West Coast WikiCon: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/MurielMary/Aotearoa_New_Zealand_Wikipedia_20_Event
Wikipedia Rapid grant funding application for Wellington WikiCon:
Draft InternetNZ grant application text: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Om6EtOAj2kXw8xd6LGWV1l6EM4D2dE8FNSRPtYLCKGI/edit?usp=sharing
2020 Projects and eventsEdit
- Organise Wiki Loves Monuments 2020 in partnership with Heritage New Zealand.
- Participate in Wiki Loves Monuments or Wiki Loves Earth - see the project page Wiki Loves Monuments New Zealand