Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand
Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand is a Wikimedia user group of Wikimedians who are interested in organising and participating in outreach activities in New Zealand.
|Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand|
|Approval date||17 December 2019|
|Official language(s)||English, Māori|
There was an attempt to create a local chapter around 2006. One of the goals of this group is to renew a discussion about creating a chapter in the future. Before we can make a chapter, we need to have run a User Group with a range of well-documented activities for a couple of years, so this is the first step.
The user group was formally recognised by the Wikimedia Foundation on 17 December 2019.
Our mission and goalsEdit
- Represent the Wikimedia Foundation’s mission in New Zealand: to empower and engage people to collect and develop educational content under a free license, so it can be shared and reused freely for any purpose
- Represent the New Zealand contributors to Wikimedia projects
- Provide qualified support for our own members and public
- Streamline the activities of individual members and institutions into the same group
- Empower members and support their activities
- Develop and maintain long-lasting relationships with New Zealand institutions that share the same or similar goals: universities, museums, libraries, and archives
The Wikimedia Foundation has asked the User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand to identify which of the movement's strategy recommendations are our priorities for implementation in 2021 and what ideas from the Movement Strategy recommendations respond to our needs and will have an impact in the movement. The aim of prioritization is to create an 18-month implementation plan to take some of the initiatives forward starting in 2021. The 10 recommendations are described here
The attendees of the Aotearoa New Zealand Online Meetup 4 decided on
- Improve User Experience
- Invest in Skills and Leadership Development
- Provide for Safety and Inclusion.
2021 conference / training / GLAM outreach and inclusion eventsEdit
In October 2020 the User group started work on developing a forward program of weekend events for 2021. The organising committee are:
There are three WikiCon weekends being planned for 2021. The locations are Hokitika in 19-21 March, Auckland in 16-18 July and Wellington in November. For further information please see the WikiCon pages.
- West Coast WikiCon Delivered
- Auckland WikiCon 17–18 July 2021 Registration is now LIVE This is the link to register for the event https://auckland-wikicon-2021.lilregie.com/
- Wellington WikiCon 26-28 November 2021 In planning
- 2020.10.15 First meeting held.
- 2020.11.19 Second meeting held
- 2020.12.03 Third meeting held
- 2021.01.19 Fourth meeting held
- 2021.02.15 Fifth meeting to be held
- 2021.03.01 meeting held
- 2021.03.15 meeting held
- 2021.03.25 meeting held
- 2021.04.29 meeting held
Rolling Meeting Notes and action points (Google docs): https://docs.google.com/document/d/15CbPZIxDz-zfx53g2okZ9okBDfYGGIjcaIGfmdEHmSo/edit?usp=sharing
Wikipedia Rapid grant funding application for Auckland WikiCon: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/MurielMary/Auckland_Museum_Editathon -
Planning document (Google docs) for West Coast WikiCon: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1agm1PwoyHpdu_DGBzt6O7jYrUIdUqnvAJDDgdWA6aes/edit?usp=sharing
Wikipedia Rapid grant funding application for West Coast WikiCon: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/MurielMary/Aotearoa_New_Zealand_Wikipedia_20_Event
Draft InternetNZ grant application text: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Om6EtOAj2kXw8xd6LGWV1l6EM4D2dE8FNSRPtYLCKGI/edit?usp=sharing
Future plans and projectsEdit
- Consolidate our communication channels into an email database.
- An email database has been collated by Giantflightlessbirds. Please contact Giantflightlessbirds to be added to this mailing list to receive a regular User Group newsletter.Einebillion (talk) 02:38, 6 December 2020 (UTC)
- A 15 minute timeslot at the Aotearoa Online Meetup has been reserved to discuss User Group business.Einebillion (talk) 02:38, 6 December 2020 (UTC)
- Keep organising editathons in Wellington, monthly meetings in Christchurch and provide support for our Auckland editors to start regular meetings in our biggest city.
- In Christchurch, we’d like to reach out to the public and invite new contributors to our monthly meetings where we’d like to provide them all the support they need.
- Apply for funding from Wikimedia Foundation that would allow us to cover our running costs including traveling to different cities for appropriate events like book festivals and library conferences where we’d like to promote Wikimedia's projects and WMF mission in New Zealand.
- Organise Wiki Loves Monuments 2020 in partnership with Heritage New Zealand.
- Participate in Wiki Loves Monuments or Wiki Loves Earth - see the project page Wiki Loves Monuments New Zealand
Further down the trackEdit
- Eventually, we'd like to create a regular chapter that would serve not only contributors from New Zealand but the whole South Pacific including Niue, Samoa, Cook Islands, Tonga or Fiji. New Zealand has strong ties with the Pacific Islands and it’s widely seen as the main center of the Southern Pacific with large Pacific Island populations living in New Zealand. We'd like our chapter to be no different. This is a big vision for us and we know we have a long way to go, but as editors who have been involved with Wikimedia’s movement for many years, we have learned that with patience and hard, consistent work we can reach our goals.
- We'd also like to reach out to users of te reo Māori and encourage the revitalisation of Wikipedia Māori
- Run and document activities for 2–3 years
- Set up a legal structure - options described here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KyR_-c02d8UfcMFvxPJkp1u4QKSHWJ2H/view?usp=sharing
- Find enough active members within the local community (we need 10, ideally 20 active members)
Annual Activity ReportsEdit
The User Group Annual Activity Reports cover the calendar year from January to December. User Group members are encouraged to contribute to the report through the reporting year. Reports must be completed annually and lodged in the Wikimedia Affiliates Data Portal page in January of each year to ensure the group can retain its User Group status.
The 2020 report is completed and was logged on 6 January 2021 in the Affiliates Data Portal
Where we meetEdit
There are regular meetings in Wellington, Christchurch, Ara Institute of Canterbury City Campus and online. There are irregular meetings in other cities across the country too.
For more information, please see the relevant pages on English Wikipedia:
How to joinEdit
Our membership is and will remain open to everyone. If you wish to join Wikimedia User Group of Aotearoa New Zealand, simply put your name in the section below. We also recommend people join our FB group where we discuss current issues around Wikimedia projects in relation to Aotearoa and share editing tools and ideas. You're welcome to come along to one of our regular meetings as well (see above).
- Podzemnik (talk) 12:34, 19 January 2019 (UTC)
- Jonathanischoice (talk) 12:56, 20 January 2019 (UTC)
- Giantflightlessbirds (talk) 20:05, 20 January 2019 (UTC)
- Ambrosia10 (talk) 23:18, 20 January 2019 (UTC)
- Kiwichris (talk) 07:09, 22 January 2019 (UTC)
- Stuartyeates (talk) 04:44, 10 February 2019 (UTC)
- Schwede66 (talk) 06:10, 30 May 2019
- Einebillion (talk) 01:39, 8 June 2019 (UTC)
- MurielMary (talk) 10:57, 1 July 2019 (UTC)
- DrThneed (talk) 11:47, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
- OhValencia (talk) 11:47, 5 July 2019 (UTC)
- Catsandthings (talk) 07:24, 23 December 2019 (UTC)
- David Nind (talk) 12:00, 21 January 2020 (UTC)
- Gadfium (talk) 17:48, 29 January 2020 (UTC)
- Ciell (talk) 17:41, 21 February 2020 (UTC) No facebook here. You can find me on Twitter, Telegram, and Wiki Tribune.
- Gertrude206 (talk) 22:54, 28 February 2020 (UTC)
- Digipres (talk) 12:12, 2 March 2020 (UTC)
- MagicPie97 (talk) 23:24, 1 March 2020 (UTC)
- Canley (talk) 06:09, 28 March 2020 (UTC)
- MargaretRDonald (talk) 05:57, 11 April 2020 (UTC)
- Marshelec (talk) 7 May 2020
- Quilt Phase (talk) 20:01, 9 May 2020 (UTC)
- Pippipip (talk) 07:46, 4 July 2020 (UTC)
- Oronsay (talk) 23:43, 4 July 2020 (UTC)
- Quixoticelixer- (talk) 06:54, 13 July 2020 (UTC)
- Noracrentiss (talk) 00:56, 9 September 2020 (UTC)
- SHISHIR DUA (talk) 06:48, 26 November 2020 (UTC)
- Slowking4 (talk) 23:09, 2 January 2021 (UTC)
- Lcmortensen (talk) 08:13, 3 January 2021 (UTC)
- Pakoire (talk) 21:09, 8 February 2021 (UTC)
- Beeswaxcandle (talk) 03:14, 11 February 2021 (UTC)
- Prosperosity (talk) 23:41, 27 February 2021 (UTC)
- Pseudopanax (talk) 09:41, 20 March 2021 (UTC)
- Julie Oystercatcher (talk) 07:29, 01 April 2021 (UTC)
- Supertrinko (talk) 21:11, 27 May 2021 (UTC)