Wikimedia Foundation elections committee
The Wikimedia Foundation elections committee oversees, on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation and the Wikimedia community, elections to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
Prior to 2016, each community election for the Board and FDC resulted in the creation of a temporary elections committee. On 7 November 2015, the Board of Trustees approved the formation of a standing elections committee. The founding members of the standing committee were announced on 20 July 2016.
Board of Trustees elections
The Committee has responsibilities throughout every phase of the selection process for Community- and Affiliate-Selected Trustees, as established in Article IV, Section 3(C) in the Foundation Bylaws, including:
- Timeline – Work with staff to determine and communicate election timeline specifics, based on target end date set by the Board.
- Candidacy – Working with staff and in consultation with the Board, design the process for collecting and reviewing candidate declarations.
- Outreach – Work with staff to reach the various Wikimedia communities with information about the election, including * voting and the call for candidates.
- Volunteers – Determine whether additional volunteers are needed to assist with election administration, and work with staff to recruit and coordinate those volunteers.
- Communications – Review communications about the election drafted by staff and collaborate in determining when communications should be issued by the Committee, by staff, or by the Board.
- Evaluation – Assist in reviewing candidates based on criteria set by the Board.
- Campaigning – Set and enforce rules regarding how candidates can campaign, and oversee the process of asking candidates to answer campaign questions.
- Voting – Determine the voting method and voter eligibility criteria, and work with staff to determine the voting platform and review voter eligibility requests.
- Results – Review and announce vote results.
The Committee, staff, and the Board shall collaborate to create a more granular division of responsibilities, as needed. If necessary, the Board shall be the final arbiter of questions or disputes regarding roles and responsibilities. All aspects of the trustee selection process are subject to the Board’s authority, as defined by applicable law, by the Foundation Bylaws, and by other governing documents.
The Board may enlist the advice and assistance of the Committee regarding Wikimedia elections for other positions, or other movement-wide votes.
Members and advisors serve terms of two years and are appointed by the Board Governance Committee, in consultation with sitting members of the Committee and their advisors.
The committee consists of eight community volunteers alongside advisors from the Wikimedia Foundation. The 2022-23 Elections Committee had their terms extended in May 2022. Their terms expire on 31 March 2023.
|Name||Languages||Location (time zone)||Term ends|
|AbhiSuryawanshi||en, hi, mr, pa, bn, bho, ur, kok||Various timezones||March 31, 2023|
|Carlojoseph14||tl, en-5, es-1, ceb-1||Philippines (UTC+8)||March 31, 2023|
|HakanIST||tr, en-4, az-3, es-2, de-1||Turkey (UTC+3)||March 31, 2023|
|KTC, Committee Chair||en-N, yue-N||London, England (UTC+1)||March 31, 2023|
|Mardetanha||az-N, fa-N, en-3, tr-2, ar-1, bqi-1, crh-1, glk-1, mzn-1, tk-1||Zanjan, Iran (UTC+4:30)||March 31, 2023|
|Masssly||en-3, ha-2, ak-1, dag-N||Accra, Ghana (UTC±0)||March 31, 2023|
|Matanya||en, he||Israel (UTC+2)||March 31, 2023|
|Ruslik0||en-3, ru-5||Moscow, Russia (UTC+3)||March 31, 2023|
- Board liaison
- Supporting staff
At least two staff members are appointed by the Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director to support the committee and additional advisors (staff or volunteer) can be appointed by the election committee depending on their needs with the support of the Board Governance Committee.