Wikimedia Conference 2017/Pre-Conference Boards Training
|WMCON 2017||Core Conference Program||Fringe Events||Registration & Participants
Governance & Leadership. Information on the Boards member training 2017Edit
With the help of experienced wikimedians and professional trainers we will discuss the following subjects:
- Board member transition. Including recruitment, the introduction period, transfer of tasks and responsibilities.
- Leadership. Concepts and ways to improve your skills.
- Strategic planning. Focus on the embedding of strategy and the application of the strategy in daily routines.
- Participatory management. Focus on the importance of relations with various stakeholders and their influence on decision making.
- Beyond bylaws. Special focus on policies and protocols. Conflict of interest.
Focus of the trainingEdit
- The objective of this fourth Boards training workshop is to support affiliates by improving the skills and competences of their board members.
- Knowledge and skills of individual board members and the quality of the board improves which will lead to better understanding of the role of the board and their responsibilities (and vice versa).
- The Board will work more effectively, which will lead to more informed decision making.
- Improved network of individual board members (e. g. closer connection between board members from different countries and trustful relationships), establishing constant cross-board relations leading towards more cooperation and knowledge sharing between boards.
The initiative for this training was taken by Tim Moritz Hector (WM Deutschland) and Frans Grijzenhout (WM Nederland). The other members of the projectboard are: Emeric Vallespi (WM France), Michael Maggs (WM UK) and Matttias Blomgren (WM Sverige), supported by Cornelius Kibelka (WM Deutschland).
Whom are we inviting / subscriptionEdit
- The subscription form is distributed on November 18, 2016. Registration closes on January 8, 2017. Contact email@example.com if you want to subscribe after this deadline.
- The training will be open for board members of Wikimedia affiliates.
Logistics / Location and costsEdit
- The training will be held in the two days preceding the Wikimedia Conference in Berlin and run parallel to the pre-conference. We will use the same venue.
- Please note that this is a separate event only preceding the Wikimedia Conference. Attending the conference does not mean access to this workshop and vice versa.
- There will be a participation fee of € 75 to cover the costs of catering. Travel costs and accomodation must be arranged by the affiliate itself (APG affiliates). For non-APG affiliates reimbursement of costs is possible.
- The presentations of the sessions will be made available on the documentation page.
- All materials developed and used for this training will be published for further use. 
- Information about previous trainings in 2014 and 2016 
- The workshop will start at 12:00 (noon) in room "Britz" at the Mercure Hotel Tempelhof Airport which is also the venue for the main conference. There will be signs guiding you to the right room.
Wednesday 29 March 2017Edit
12:00 – 13:00 introduction
- Introduction to the training
- To know each other
13:00 – 13:30 lunch
13:30 – 15:30 session 1: Board member transition
- Title: How to secure continuity in the governance of your affiliate.
- Subjects: Recruitment, the introduction period, the transfer of tasks and responsibilities.
- Form: Group discussion
- Goal: Understanding the different phases of transition.
- Trainer: Moritz Rahm (WMDE)
15:30 – 15:45 tea break
15:45 - 17:45 session 2: Strategic planning
- Title: Reap the benefits of strategic planning
- Subjects: Focus on the embedding of strategy and the application of the strategy in daily routines
- Goal: Awareness of the value of strategic planning.
- Trainer: Sandra Rientjes (WMNL)
17:45 - 18:00 closing, wrap up
Thursday 30 March 2017Edit
9:00 – 13:00 session 3 (including coffee break): Leadership
- Title: How to perform within a volunteer driven organization
- Subjects: Concepts and ways to improve your skills. What does it mean to be a leader, to guide people and design processes on a voluntary basis? How can board members fulfill this role with success? What kind of leadership competences might help, what leadership concepts are applicable for leaders who lead staff on a voluntary basis?
- Trainers: Andreas Knoth and Nicola Kriesel (Socius)
13:00 – 13:30 lunch
13:30 – 15:30 session 4: Participatory management
- Title: How to shape partnerships and involve volunteers
- Subjects: Focus on the importance of relations with various stakeholders and their influence on decision making
- Trainer: Édouard Hue (WMFR)
15:30 – 15:45 tea-break
15:45 – 17:30 session 5: Beyond bylaws
- Title: How to deal with all the formal issues that a board engages
- Subjects: Special focus on policies and protocols, including conflicts of interest.
- Form: Structured discussion
- Goal: Raise awareness for formal mechanisms that can be used by a board to engage with formal issues, including conflicts of interest
- Trainer: Lukas Mezger (WMDE)
17:30 – 18:00 closing, evaluation
This is a list of the confirmed participants.
|Sven-Erik Jonsson||Wikimedia Sverige||Treasurer and support in operational matters|
|Jarosław Błaszczak||Wikimedia Polska||Board Member|
|Brit Stakston||Wikimedia Sverige||Board Member|
|Geert van Pamel||Wikimedia Belgium||President|
|Tamás Mészöly||Wikimédia Magyarország||Executive Vice-President|
|Elena Sanz||Wikimedia España||Secretary|
|Oscar Costero||Wikimedia Venezuela||President|
|Miljan Simonović||Викимедија Србије||Board Member|
|Mark A. Hershberger||MediaWiki stakeholders||Co-founder|
|Richard Knipel||Wikimedia NYC||President|
|Robert Fernandez||Wikimedia DC||Member of the Board of Directors|
|Kelly Doyle||Wikimedia DC||Member of the Board of Directors|
|Benoit Rochon||Wikimedia Canada||President|
|Jean-Philippe Béland||Wikimedia Canada||Vice-President|
|Maksym Tsizh||Wikimedia Ukraine||Board Member|
|Saverio G. Malatesta||Wikimedia Italia||Treasurer|