Wikimania 2015 bids/Cape Town
Our idea: Vision • Venue • Budget • Self Evaluation
Our city: Cape Town • Accommodation • Diversity
Your story: Join our team • Holiday options
Cape Town is a major centre for culture, design and education. It is the second-most populous city in South Africa and the provincial capital and primary city of the Western Cape. The city is famous for its harbour as well as its natural setting in the Cape floral kingdom, including such well-known landmarks as Table Mountain and Cape Point. Cape Town is also Africa's most popular tourist destination.
We have selected the world-class Cape Town International Convention Centre as our venue. The CTICC's high-tech facilities and numerous breakout rooms are ideal for a conference such as ours.
We support the vision of Wikimania as an opportunity to bridge divides, starting with the first-ever Wikimania in sub-Saharan Africa. We invite you to participate in our effort to bring Wikimedia to South Africa, and to bring South Africa to Wikimedia.
Our plan identifies three separate budget scenarios, representing different attendance figures and levels of fundraising. We have conducted a SWOT analysis to identify different opportunities and risks so that we may determine ahead of time how to mitigate them.
- Country: South Africa
- City proposed: Cape Town
- Proposed venue: Cape Town International Convention Centre / University of Cape Town
- Proposed dates:
- CTICC: 28 July 2015 – 2 August 2015
- UCT: 7 July 2015 – 12 July 2015
- Contact: Douglas Scott (Discott) douglas.i.scottgmailcom (Bid Leader)
- Twitter: @WikimaniaCapeT
- ↑ "Community Survey, 2007: Basic Results Municipalities" (PDF). Statistics South Africa. Retrieved 23 March 2008.
- ↑ "Why Cape Town is one of the Best Tourist and Expat Destinations".