Our proposed theme for Wikimania 2015 is bridging divides. The ethnic, linguistic, and economic diversity of our city represents the divisions the Wikimedia community strives to overcome on an international level in its effort to create "a world in which every single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human knowledge". The will and desire to bridge these divides exists, in Cape Town, in South Africa, and in the Wikimedia community, and our goal is to make Wikimania 2015 one major milestone in bringing the Wikimedia community—and the world—closer together.
Our vision comprises three primary objectives:
- Bridging the divide between where Wikimedia outreach is conducted most frequently and where it is conducted less frequently
- Bridging the divide between where the Wikimedia projects are best established and represented and where the Wikimedia projects are less represented and less established
- Bridging the divide between the haves, who have both material wealth and knowledge, and the have-nots, those who have neither material wealth nor adequate access to knowledge
This outreach is vital for the future of the Wikimedia movement. Wikimania in Cape Town would be the first step toward addressing these issues—starting with holding the largest and most visible Wikimedia event in Africa, ever.
We recommend the following for our conference itinerary:
- Tuesday, 28 July
- Wednesday, 29 July
- Hacking days continue
- Pre-Conference Cocktail in the evening
- Thursday, 30 July
- 10:00 - 13:00: Opening Session
- 13:00 - 13:45: Lunch
- 13:45 - 18:45: Conference Sessions
- 19:30 - Opening Gala
- Friday, 31 July
- Saturday, 1 August
- 10:00 - 13:00 Conference Sessions
- 13:00 - 13:45 Lunch
- 13:45 - 16:00 Conference Sessions
- Late afternoon and evening: Pub and club crawl on Long Street
- Sunday, 2 August
- Wikimedia South Africa will provide the attendees with various entertainment and educational options, see Tours.