Wiki Movement Brazil User Group/Report/2017/Simple APG
2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017 • 2018 • 2019 • 2020 • 2021 • 2022 • 2023
• • • • •
Program and learning story in final reportEdit
The Wikimedia Community User Group Brasil has led a large, wide campaign that integrates a GLAM initiative with the Museu Paulista and an education program to improve content on art and politics in Brazil with a specific focus on accessibility. This campaign has had support from the Research, Innovation and Dissemination Center for Neuromathematics and Faculdade Cásper Líbero.
Among other tasks, students involved in the campaign were asked to create audible versions of paintings from key Brazilian museums, especially the Museu Paulista. 143 audio files were created --one per student, roughly-- with support from the Museu Paulista education team and professors at Faculdade Cásper Líbero. All audio files are linked to the associated painting on Wikidata and are now part of the WikiProject sum of all paintings in Brazil --audio files have also been widely used on Wikipedia in Portuguese.
Read a report on Wikimedia Outreach, at the GLAM Newsletter: Can you hear this GLAM?.
This initiative was also featured on the media: link 01, link 02 and link 03.
- Entry examples
- Batalha dos Guararapes (Victor Meirelles)
- Alfredo Ellis Jr.
- Benedito Calixto
- Independência ou Morte (Pedro Américo)
- Fazenda Santa Genebra
- José Wasth Rodrigues
- Adrian Henri Vital van Emelen
- Georgina de Albuquerque
- Maria Quitéria
- Fundação de São Vicente (Benedito Calixto)
- O Último Tamoio
- Batalha de Campo Grande (Pedro Américo)
A full list of assigned entries is available on Wikipedia in Portuguese.
Students were also free to work on other entries pertaining to culture and art.
- Social impact
As part of the project, audible versions of paintings that were produced in the joint GLAM-Edu effort were played in a special session at an NGO that works with students with visual impairment, Laramara.
The goal of this review section was to test how useful audio files were. Brazilian Wikimedians were involved, particularly helping Laramara students fill out assessment sheets. Around thirty people were involved in this section.
Results of this assessment section will inform new rounds of education programs. Moreover, a work group of Laramara professionals and Wikimedians was created to devise strategies to improve accessibility on Wikipedia in Portuguese.
Students have also taken part of a photo walk at the Museu Paulista gardens, coordinated by the education team of the museum.
- Output features
- 151 editors enrolled (143 new editors)
- 788 articles edited
- 44 articles created (no article was eliminated)
- 939K added in 5,410 edits
- 216 Commons uploads (use rate: ~100%)
- 1.13M article views
Independência ou Morte, Pedro Américo.
Fundação de São Vicente, Benedito Calixto.
Más notícias, Rodolfo Amoedo.
Negros no fundo do porão, Johann Rugendas.
Program story in mid-point reportEdit
Faculdade Cásper Líbero junior undergraduates in Social Communications have created and substantially improved entries on museums in the Greater São Paulo on Wikipedia in Portuguese. In this program, they have also taken pictures of museums they have written on. This is to date one of the largest education programs that was ever set up in Brazil.
Read a report on Wikimedia Outreach, at the Education Newsletter:
- Output features
- 143 editors enrolled (136 new editors)
- 368 articles edited
- 31 articles created (no article was eliminated)
- 2,449,783 bytes added in 5,162 edits
- 1,104 Commons uploads (use rate: ~50%)
- 1.03M article views
Museu Paulista GLAM initiativeEdit
The Museu Paulista of the University of São Paulo (commonly known as Museu do Ipiranga) is one of the largest and best known Brazilian museums.
The full uploaded collection is available on Commons and for paintings on the Wikidata project on the Sum of All Paintings.
|Objective||Mid-point outcome||Final report outcome||Comment||Reference|
|200-500 image upload||149 high-resolution image upload||364 high-resolution image upload||The museum collection is over 100,000 itens. We are continuing to work with this institution.|||
|150 articles created or improved in Portuguese||Images are used in 252 articles / 13 articles were created, 649 articles were edited on topics pertaining to this GLAM initiative||Over 900 articles were edited on topics pertaining to this GLAM initiative||Currently working on a Wikimedia blog post to share this experience.|||
|at least 150 new users registered onto the projects||151 new users registered||173 new users registered|||
|at least 70 audio files uploaded to the Commons, providing an audio description of paintings (as part of education program and outreach activity)||Not done yet||143 audio files uploaded to the Commons.||Likely the largest upload of this kind of file for paintings in the history of the projects.|||
|one edit-a-thon, to be held in September, during the celebration of the Independence of Brazil (as part of outreach activity)||Not done||As we have not received funding on time this activity had to be cancelled|
|at least 6 media pieces on the GLAM initiative||one media piece||three media pieces||As we have not received funding we were unable to develop a professional strategy for outreach. We have organically spread the word on our work.|||
José Wasth Rodrigues, Antiga Rua do Rosário (Rua XV de Novembro), Acervo do Museu Paulista
Antonio Ferrigno, A Florada, Acervo do Museu Paulista
A full list of paintings is available here.
For other types of material, mostly pictures, check the Commons category.
Museu da Educação e do BrinquedoEdit
This initiative was cancelled, as the museum is temporarily closed, as the university building where it is located has major cracks, which put the public at risk.
Final results of GLAM with the Museum of MathematicsEdit
Wikimedia in Brazil, with support from independent volunteer Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton, has completed the GLAM initiative with Matemateca, the museum of mathematics at the University of São Paulo. This GLAM encompassed both photographs and videos of the collection. It was the subject of posts on the GLAM newsletter and the Wikimedia blog.
The full uploaded collection is available on Commons.
- 322 files uploaded
- 169 files used
- 237 pages fed with images from the GLAM
- 1,661,255 file views in 2018-01
- Hall of fame results
The revolution of polyhedrons by a single axis
Brazilian National ArchivesEdit
The Brazilian National Archives is the largest of these types of institutions in Brazil. The Brazilian UG has been working with them to upload its collection, that gathers millions of relevant documents. This GLAM initiative has sparked an active Cross-wiki project in the Lusophone community to work with the collection, that currently brings together 11 members. This work was the object of a post on the GLAM Newsletter.
- 571 files uploaded
- 125 files used
- 148 pages fed with images from the GLAM
- 358,895 file views in 2018-01
- Relevant links
- Category curation on files uploaded to Wikimedia Commons;
- Site and people identification on files uploaded to Wikimedia Commons. After identification, images were cropped and individually used to illustrate entries;
- Transcription of historical documents on Wikisource;
- Content improvement on Wikipedia in Portuguese and other languages;
- Content improvement on Wikidata.
- The development of Merge2PDF, a tool to compile individual pages of a document into a single file. Compiled versions have been linked to Wikidata entries, i.e. on the entry on AI-4, and to infoboxes on Wikipedia in Portuguese, i.e. on the entry on AI-4;
- The development of a Wikidata-fed infobox to Wikipedia in Portuguese, specifically for documents and archives. This infobox contributes to integrating to Commons and Wikisource, i.e. on the entry on AI-2;
- The systematic including of cross-project tags on entries on Wikipedia in Portuguese, especially Wikisource and Wikimedia Commons, for instance at the bottom of Constituição brasileira de 1891.
First page of José Bonifácio de Andrada e Silva's will.
Censorship document of the soap opera Roque Santeiro.
Page 9 of the Brazilian Empire Constitution
Coat of arm of Antônio Joaquim da Silva Pinto.
Sugarloaf Mountain as seen from Morro da Urca, at the early 20th century.
Passport of Santos Dumont, in 1919.
Unexpected outcomes on GLAMsEdit
- Launch of a totem with a video presenting the UG GLAM initiative with the Museum of Veterinary Anatomy.
Time-lapse video presenting the Museum of Veterinary Anatomy GLAM Initiative
General results of education programs in 2017Edit
As important as providing case reports and newsletter posts of activities --particularly education programs-- it is a priority in our movement that objective metrics are provided, so that we as a movement can establish objective criteria to assess our activities. The Brazilian user group has received with sheer interest and commitment the development of the P&E Dashboard, thus contributing for its development and launching of special features on Wikipedia in Portuguese, for instance. The overall Dashboard report of the user group is available and provides objective metrics of activities and achievements. Since the group use of the Dashboard, the report includes:
- 44 Programs
- 1441 Editors
- 7.53M Words Added
- 34.1M Article Views
- 10.4K Articles Edited
- 2.52K Articles Created
- 11.2K Commons Uploads
In the specific period of interest of this report, individual activities can be seen at the overall list of programs . At this point, there is no specific tool for disaggregating easily the data for time periods. Among education programs, these reports are highlighted:
In terms of education impact, the Brazilian community user group has become one of the largest contributors in the world in most metrics available. It has contributed vastly to practicing the motto: Wikimedia projects belong to education.
Faculdade Cásper Líbero education programEdit
Additionally to the GLAM-Edu initiative that was reported as the main program story, the Brazilian UG has also led an education program to picture all monuments in the city of São Paulo. This has been coordinated with students of Audiovisual Communications at Faculdade Cásper Líbero. So far, around 250 out of 740 monuments were taken pictures of and uploaded to both Commons and Wikidata.
There are a Commons general category and a Listeria-generated list for control.
- 69 articles created
- 188 articles edited
- 2,380 total edits
- 72 students involved
- 308K words added
- 1,931 files in category tree
- 110 pages on 3 wikis use those files
P&E Dashboard trainingEdit
The UG has led the pilot launching of new functionalities of the P&E Dashboard. In association with Sage Ross, from the Wiki Edu Foundation, the UG has been able to enable automated edits associated to programs and events on Wikipedia in Portuguese. The UG has also been in touch with the French community to have these functionalities enabled on Wikipedia in French.
The UG has been active in the report of bugs and the request of improvements on the P&E Dashboard, in direct liaison with Sage Ross. It has been a systematic user of this tool --our understanding is that reporting through P&E Dashboard should become routine practice among affiliates.
It was decided that given the current flow of updates the P&E Dashboard is currently going through and the fact that funding is not yet available this activity is postponed.
The Brazilian UG has supported actively the NeuroMat Wikipedia Initiative, to date the largest involvement of a research institute with Wikimedia projects in Brazil. This has been called in the media the Brazilian Year of Science in Wikimedia projects. This has involved five Wikimedians in residence and six student workers in 2017-2018. These positions are supported by the São Paulo Research Foundation and the University of São Paulo. The goal is with professors from some of the best universities in the country, namely University of São Paulo and UNICAMP, improve content on mathematics and biology on Wikimedia projects. Improvements are both measured in terms of quantity and quality.
Results below include general data for 2017, thus encompassing a larger period than what is considered in this particular grant.
Around 90% of featured articles on Mathematics in Wikipedia in Portuguese were created in the context of this initiative supported by the Brazilian UG. Some very high-quality media files were also uploaded.
- Results in 2017
- 1,030 articles created
- 5,040 articles edited
- 30,200 total edits
- 750 Commons uploads
- 2,300,000 words added
- Results in 2018
- 620 articles created
- 1,150 articles edited
- 19,800 total edits
- 210 Commons uploads
- 1,350,000 words added
- Gallery (time-lapsed drawn videos)
Unexpected outcomes in educationEdit
- The UG has been leading the development of a MOOC module on Wikiversity. Developed by Joalpe for courses with large cohorts and to provide interactive media features. A first course is being set up and was reported on the Education Newsletter.
- Partnership with Anisio Teixeira Institute to present Wikipedia in Education programs in two sessions.
- Support of UNICAMP-Profis education program on Basic Physics. Instructor was recruited in outreach activity organized by UG in March, with around 100 students.
- Establishment of a formal partnership with Wikimedia Portugal in the context of a set of activities with UAb, CIDH, LE@D and CLEPUL.
- Contacts for establishing new education programs were made with professors in Rio de Janeiro, São Caetano do Sul and Florianópolis.
A major focus for this talks to the community was what has been called Wikidata Labs. There have been in the period of interest to this period four monthly labs. These activities have been set up with NeuroMat. P&E Dashboard reports, slides and pictures are available on the official websites.
Topics that were covered on these labs include: automated infoboxes, Listeria-generated lists, identifiers and Quick Statements. Resources for the community were made available on each lab.
A feature of these events is that they have combined theoretical discussions and hands-on activities, in which shared knowledge was put into practice in the benefit of the community.
- Wikidata Lab I: official website
- Wikidata Lab II: official website
- Wikidata Lab III: official website
- Wikidata Lab IV: official website
Expected outcomes are seven edit-a-thons. Funding for these activities have been paid for out-of-pocket by UG volunteers, expecting to be reimbursed in the context of the Simple APG.
- Artes+Feminismos na Lusofonia 2018 (see Artes+Feminismos na Lusofonia 2018 on Wikipedia.pt)
- Editatona Dia do Samba (see Dia do Samba on Wikipedia.pt)
- Linguagem e Literatura I (see Linguagem_e_Literatura_I on Wikipedia.pt)
- Día de las Escritoras 2017 (see Día_de_las_Escritoras_2017 on Wikipedia.pt)
- Wiki iGEM I (see Wiki_iGEM_I on Wikipedia.pt)
- Mulher e Mídia II (see Mulher_e_Mídia_II on Wikipedia.pt)
- Núcleo de Estudos da Violência (see Núcleo_de_Estudos_da_Violência on Wikipedia.pt)
It is worth noticing Artes+Feminismos na Lusofonia 2018, which was a set of edit-a-thons connected to the Art+Feminism and Wiki Gap global campaings. These edit-a-thons were set up in partnership with Wikimedia Portugal --the first time this kind of joint activity took place in the Lusophone community. Over seven edit-a-thons were organized. Given the impact of this joint effort it was featured on the Art+Feminism Facebook page as an example of inspiring activity. Support to these activities were also provided by the Embassy of Sweden in Brazil (in setting up an event in Brasília) and the São Paulo Research Foundation.
Presentation done by João Peschanski, again at Unicamp.
A gender edit a thon, in a partnership with Frente Feminista Casperiana Lisandra
For Día de las Escritoras 2017, a Wikimedia España initiative
Education, Cultural Heritage and TourismEdit
A photo walk to explore Ilhéus. The photo walk took place on November 6 and 7, with students from Faculdade Madre Thaís. It was supported by the user group and the initiative Caminhão com Ciência.
New glances on the Paulista MuseumEdit
A photo walk to explore the history of the Paulista Museum and its neighboring gardens was organized in a partnership with Museu Paulista, NeuroMat and Faculdade Cásper Líbero, on November 11.
Internal communication outreachEdit
- Internal media
- Regular posting on UG website --2017 average: three posts per month.
- Bimonthly wiki newsletter
- Community outlets
- "Exploring Wikiversity's tools to create a MOOC", Education Newsletter, Daniel Dieb, November 2017.
- "Integrating Wikimedia projects into the Brazilian National Archives GLAM", Wikimedia GLAM newsletter, Joalpe, October 2017.
- "Your community should discuss to implement the new P&E Dashboard functionalities", Education Newsletter, Joalpe, October 2017.
- "Edit-a-thons to spread mathematics and neuroscience", Wikimedia GLAM newsletter, Wilkruvic, August 2017.
- "Vitor Mazuco and the fandom that drives his Wikipedia editing", Ruby Mizrahi and Michelle Fitzhugh-Craig, Wikimedia blog, August 2017.
- "Hanging around at Brazilian museums with Wikipedia", Wikimedia education newsletter, João Alexandre Peschanski, July 2017.
- "Editing to change the world: Vinicius Siqueira", Ruby Mizrahi and Samir Elsharbaty, Wikimedia blog, July 2017.
- "Pairing videos with math: Illustrating mathematical concepts in Brazil", João Alexandre Peschanski and Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton, Wikimedia blog, May 2017.
- "Preparing the future GLAM generation", Wikimedia GLAM newsletter, João Alexandre Peschanski, December 2016. (published in January, 2017)
- Non-exhaustive list of press interviews
- Um museu quase virtual. Carta Capital. August, 2017
- Conhecimento livre. Revista Cásper. January, 2017
- Quais museus brasileiros estão liberando uso de imagem de seus acervos. NEXO, February, 2017.
- Como a Wikipedia pode ser uma ferramenta educativa. NEXO, February, 2017.
Unexpected outcomes in general outreachEdit
- A talk on Connecting Wikipedia and the University at Unicamp, on of the main universities in Brazil and Latin America.
- A talk on the use of Wikimedia projects in disseminating science at Internet Society Forum.
- A talk on the use of Wikipedia in disseminating knowledge on the cultural heritage at São Paulo City Hall.
- A talk on the use of Wikipedia, in instructors training class, at Agência Nacional de Aviação Civil (ANAC, National Civil Aviation Agency of Brazil).
So far, administrative and activity expenses have been covered out-of-pocket by UG volunteers, expecting to be reimbursed when funding is made available.
|Total spending (BRL R$)|
|Snacks and beverage (edit-a-thons / community engagement)||4,615|
|Dissemination ressources (edit-a-thons / community engagement)||3,130|
|Location for events||800|
|Transportation to/from activities||715|
|Unexpected and diverse costs||376|
Full reports of the UG Wikimedia in Brazil set of activities in 2017 and 2018 are available on the 2017 report of activities and 2018 report of activities, on meta.
- ↑ P&E Dashboard report
- ↑ P&E Dashboard report
- ↑ Museum's official website
- ↑ Opening the Mathematics box in a context of widespread innumeracy, GLAM Newsletter
- ↑ Pairing videos with math: Illustrating mathematical concepts in Brazil, Wikimedia Blog
- ↑ GLAMorgan report for January 2018
- ↑ Featured itens from the GLAM with Matemateca
- ↑ Quality images from the GLAM with Matemateca
- ↑ Valued images from the GLAM with Matemateca
- ↑ Integrating Wikimedia projects into the Brazilian National Archives GLAM, GLAM Newsletter
- ↑ GLAMorgan report in January, 2018
- ↑ See our video on Commons
- ↑ See the entire category for the exhibition on Commons
- ↑ Outreach Dashboard Report
- ↑ GLAMorgan report, January 2018
- ↑ Post on Wikimedia Outreach
- ↑ Outreach Dashboard Report
- ↑ Outreach Dashboard Report
- ↑ Exploring Wikiversity's tools to create a MOOC, Education Newsletter
- ↑ Bahia na Lupa: Wikipédia Como Ferramenta de Ensino: Professores Baianos Recebem Formação
- ↑ Diga Salvador: Formação prepara professores para uso do Wikipédia em sala de aula
- ↑ Plataforma Anísio Teixeira: Uso da Wikipédia em sala de aula é tema de oficina no IAT
- ↑ File on Commons
- ↑ Outreach Dashboard
- ↑ "QS University Rankings: Latin America 2015". Top Universities. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- ↑ ASCOM. "A melhor do Brasil | UNICAMP – Universidade Estadual de Campinas". www.unicamp.br. Retrieved 2016-01-21.
- ↑ Media report on the photo walk, January 2018
- ↑ Poster file on Commons
- ↑ Presentation file on Commons
- ↑ Presentation file on Commons
- ↑ Photo example