WikiIndaba conference 2018/Submissions/Growing a community of developers to ensure adequate technical support for projects on the continent
|This is a Closed submission for WikiIndaba conference 2018 that has already been reviewed by the members of the Program Committee.|
- Submission no. 032
- Title of the submission
- Growing a community of developers to ensure adequate technical support for projects on the continent
- Type of submission (lecture, panel, tutorial/workshop, roundtable discussion, lightning talk, birds of a feather discussion)
- Author of the submission
- Language of presentation
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Ghana, Cameroon
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Open Foundation West Africa (OFWA)
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (up to 300 words to describe your proposal)
Africa Wikimedia Developers Project (AWMD) was started to train and recruit volunteer developers to develop (on MediaWiki) for Wikimedia Foundation Projects and support the larger movement. The inaugural training took place in Accra, Ghana, with a follow-up event in Cameroon and plans are far advanced to replicate similar training in other West African countries and on the continent at large.
The project has recorded active participation from at least 6 countries with a community even though we have formally had training in only 2 countries. There is a growing interest in open source development in Africa which informs our decision to extend our training and reach for the Wikimedia Movement. It's however crucial that we share our experiences, plans and mode of partnership with present affiliates at Wiki Indaba to ensure the growth of more communities through our affiliate network and to better support technical issues in the movement from the continent.
- What will attendees take away from this session?
The participant will understand what the project stands for and what it hopes to achieve. Participants will learn about how to start a community of developers in their country and the essence of growing the developer pool for the continent.
- Theme of presentation
- Sister Projects
- For workshops and discussions, what level is the intended audience?
- Length of session (if other than 25 minutes, specify how long)
- 25 minutes
- Will you attend WikiIndaba if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Special requests
- Is this Submission a Draft or Final?
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with a hash and four tildes. (# ~~~~).