Please make sure to log in to Wikimedia Meta before creating your Proposal. If your submission is selected, we will contact your Wikipedia account so make sure your Username is correct.
- Title of the submission
Participation of students of St Aloysius College Mangaluru in Wikipedia in Education Program - Experiences
- Your Username (For the submission author)
Vishwanatha Badikana, Asstt Porf, Kannada Dept, St Aloysius College (Autonomous), Mangaluru - 575003 [[User:Vishwanatha Badikana, Asstt Porf, Kannada Dept, St Aloysius College (Autonomous), Mangaluru - 575003|(Link)]]
- Type of presentation
- Abstract (in about 300 words)
St Aloysius College (SAC) at Mangaluru, Dakshina Kannada District of coastal Karnataka is competing 137 years of service to the society. College has many ongoing courses, both in UG and PG, with many branches including the famous Kannada department which had scholars like late Muliya Thimmappaya. This department has special projects for regular and optional Kannada students from last two years which include-
- Providing opportunities to learn use of Kannada in technology which helps the student to have all round developments
- Opportunities to be involved in research activities along with studies
Kannada Wikipedia workshop St Aloysius College Mangaluru
In the year 2007, St Aloysius College became an autonomous institute under University of Mangalore which brought in the credit based system. As per this system, it is mandatory for the students to write two dissertations for each subject of study per semester. As per this system, it was decided that Kannada students will write two articles per semester in Kannada Wikipedia. Initially, some select students were asked to write in Wikipedia. Then the executives from The Centre for Internet & Society (CIS), Bangalore, recognized our work, visited us, and decided to do this activity in a more systematic way. The management, Principal and Registrar of the college realised the importance and benefits of the program and signed a MoU with CIS to run the Wikipedia in Education Program (WEP) at SAC. The program has been designed as follows, for Kannada students of UG courses-
- 1st Semester students will create their accounts in Kannada Wikipedia and create their userpages.
- 2nd Semester students will create articles in their respective sandboxes
- 3rd Semester students will publish the articles which are present in their sandboxes, in Kannada Wikipedia, only after improvements and approval from the faculty, if the articles is found suited to be made live in Wikipedia
- In 4th Semester, students were asked to write articles based on their subject of study, which are of better standard as per the good article criteria of Wikipedia. Students are encouraged to become and continue as Wikipedians
In UG courses, the students did not have the opportunity to go out with knowledge of technology along with their degrees. This has been made possible now by the introduction of WEP at SAC. The program is going on from last two years with these outcomes-
- Digital literacy of Kannada in technology is growing in students.
- Students learn the first step towards digital literacy, ie., entering Kannada in computers. They can type easily in Kannada.
- Students learn how to collect information from various sources and also translating information into Kannada from other languages.
- Development of research mentality among students
- Taking Kannada to global levels
- Creating knowledge content in Kannada thereby helping the growth of Kannada language
More information will be provided with data during the presentation at the conference.
Interested attendees and commentsEdit
- Gopala Krishna A (talk) 12:13, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
- --Pavanaja (talk) 15:01, 21 July 2016 (UTC)
- Tighe Flanagan (WMF) (talk) 20:28, 28 July 2016 (UTC)