WikiClassics User Group
WikiClassics User Group (WCS) is a group of users who focus their activities on classical culture, firstly (but not only) ancient Greece and ancient Rome, on Wikimedia projects.
The WikiClassics UG acts as a multi-faceted project whose main aim is to improve the quality and the amount of information about classical antiquity on Wikimedia platforms.
As most of its topics are related to sources, artworks and cultural heritage that is nowadays intrinsically scattered among various cultures and countries, a simple project might not be enough and a transnational perspective is needed, with special long-term focus also on social activities in real life.
The main activities of WikiClassics include:
- increasing cooperation between wikimedia platforms and offering support to less developed language communities;
- discussing about the quality of current encyclopedia articles (Wikipedias), texts (Wikisources), media files (Commons) and data (Wikidata), with focus on critical areas;
- looking for reliable and up-to-date sources, also in collaboration with The Wikipedia Library;
- supporting open-access bibliometry platforms in the field and creation fo articles of relevant researchers;
- supporting the correct use of Latin and Greek in multilingual namespaces, such as structured commons and wikidata;
- improving the literacy about OpenStreetMap for archeological sites;
- improving connectivity aspects realted to categorization, orphan articles, disambiguation pages;
- supporting diffusion of analytical tools on WikiProjects;
- rationalizing guidelines and know-how about copyright of ancient artifacts;
- rationalizing mass messages about its topics and interested user lists;
- creating events and meetings to raise awareness and to involve more scholars;
- coordinating social media channels;
- create and summarize materials for educational activities specifically for this field;
- supporting GLAM activities related to classical culture with a pool of multilingual users in order to maximize their impact;
- coordinating with local chapters and other thematical user groups.
Classicists - a coordination project for improving the coverage of classical scholars across all wikis.
WikiProjects on local wikisEdit
Full table here
|Antiquity or Ancient history||W||W||W||W||W||W|
To do listsEdit
Lists of tasks to do (transaltions, creations) in various projects
- Translations from English Wikipedia
For any information add a new section on the discussion page, or subscribe to the mailing list (TBC)
Contacts declared to WMFEdit
|User||Languages||Main projects & official roles||Interests & Experiences|
|Epìdosis||it-N, en-3, fr-2, de-1||Italian Wikipedia, Wikidata||Ancient literature and history, main focuses are biographies of ancient Greek authors, ancient Greek literary works, events of ancient Greek history|
|Alexmar983||it-N, en-4, fr-4, de-3, es-3, nl-2, eo-2||Italian and English Wikipedia, Wikidata, Commons, Italian Wikisource ...||I am mostly interested in cross-wiki coordination, the role of Wikisource, Structured Data, cultural heritage on Wikidata (and Wiki Loves Monuments) and scientific research in archaeology|
|Camelia.boban||ro-N, it-5, en-2, fr-1||Italian and Romanian Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata, Wikiquote, Wikibooks||interested in many things (one is Greek and Roman mythology), I created WikiDonne project in Italian Wikipedia, Feminism Portal and Italian Wikibooks and co-founded WikiDonne User Group.|
|OrbiliusMagister||it-N, en-3, vec-2||Italian and Latin Wikisource||I am mostly interested in Ancient Greek and Latin language and Literature. I created a wikiproject about Italian translation of classics|
|FocalPoint||el-N, en-5, fr-4, it-2||el-wikipedia, el-wiktionary, wikidata, commons, el-wikisource||Interested in completing and connecting info in all Wikimedia projects|
|Ilbuonme||it-N, en-5, de-1|
|Christelle Molinié||fr-N, en-1||French Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata||Mostly interested in the documentation of museum's archeological collections on Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata and the opening of professional practices to collaborative resources.|
|Mizardellorsa||it-N||la-Wikisource||encyclicae, Acta eruditorum|
|Tursclan||it-N, en-4, fr-3, de-2, es-1, pt-1||it_wikipedia, en_wikipedia, fr_wkipedia, Wikidata||Mostly interested in Etruscology and pre-Roman Italy.|
|SurdusVII||it-5, en-N, es-3, fr-3, de-1|
|Marcus Cyron||de-N, en-2, ru-1||German Wikipedia, Commons (Admin), Wikidata; OTRS agent; WMDE board member||History (Project Roman Consuls) & Archaeology, main focusses are pottery (Project CVA Germany/Project Kerameikos/Ceramics project), museums, history & reception of classics, biographies of classicists and archaeologists (Project decased classicists/Project living classicists/Project Travel Grants DAI) & ancient artists, artisans, craftsmans (My Opus magnum: Ancient potters and vase painters)|
Former "Wikipedian in Residence" at the German Archaeological Institute; Kulturbotschafter ("Wikimedia culture ambassador"); Co-Organizer of Conferences "Wikipedia trifft Altertum" ("Wikipedia meets the ancient world", 2011) and "Wikidata trifft Archäologie" ("Wikidata meets archaeology", 2013); Wikimedia contact for Deutsches Archäologisches Institut, Antikensammlung Berlin, Antikenmuseum der Universität Heidelberg, Antikensammlung Erlangen, Antikensammlung der Universität Göttingen, Münzkabinett Berlin, Museum August Kestner, Alamannenmuseum Ellwangen, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Ur- und Frühgeschichte, Museums and the Internet
|Gts-tg||el-N, en-5, fr-3, ru-3, is-3, it-2||Greek Wikipedia, Ancient Greek incubator, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata||Interested in language and writing overall; classical tradition; Hellenistic states. I can contribute with article writing, research, and software development + DBPedia based datasets.
Some wiki activity:
|Geraki||el-N, en-3||Greek Wikipedia, Greek Wikisource, Commons, Wikidata||Wiki Loves Monuments, data for monuments and mythology in Wikidata, texts in Wikisource|
|Sp!ros||el-N, en-5, it-5, fr-2||Wikidata, Greek Wikipedia, Italian Wikipedia, English Wikipedia, Commons, Wikicite||Interested in ontologies, vocabularies, monuments, and museums|
|DerHexer||de-N, en-3, grc-3, la-3, es-1||Administrator on Meta, Commons, German and English Wikipedia; Steward; OTRS agent; WMDE employee||Greek language, literature, history, mythology, philosophy, natural science; Latin language literature + Roman history; Ancient archaeology; lexicography, palaeography, and codicology;; de:WP:Redaktion Altertum, de:Wikipedia:Wikipedia trifft Altertum, formerly de:Portal:Latein|
|Ijon||he-N, en-5, grc-3, la-3, fr-1, de-1, uk-1, yi-1,arc-1||Hebrew Wikipedia, Wikidata, Commons||Ancient Greek literature, history|
|Sir Henry||fr-N, en-4, de-2||French wikipedia||Late Roman Empire/early Byzantine Empire, but with a general interest in the whole time span since ancient Greece|
|Eunostos||fr-N, en-3, grc-3, lat-3, es-1||French wikipedia, Commons, French Wikiquote||Greek mythology, ancient Greece and Rome, mythological studies|
|T8616||fr-N, en-4||English Wikipedia, Commons||Mostly Roman Republic (prosopography), and numismatics.|
|Rena||pt-N, en-5, fr-2, es-2, de-1, el-2, la-2||Portuguese Wikipedia, Commons||Greek, Rome and Byzantine Empire in general (and all themes rellated to them like Islamic, Mesopotamian, Egyptian, German, Celtic, Iberian History, etc.)|
|Taketa||NL-N, en-4||Dutch Wikipedia|
|4nn1l2||fa-N, en-3, ar-1||Persian Wikipedia, Commons||Ancient Greek history and philosophy, Roman history|
|DerMaxdorfer||de-N, en-3, fr-2, la-2, grc-1||German Wikipedia, Commons||Escpecially ancient Roman history, epigraphy and prosopography|
|DarwIn||pt-n, en-4, es-3, fr-2, gl-2||Portuguese Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata||Mostly Ancient Roman history related to Portugal, Spain and the Magreb|
|Prof.Lippold||pt-n, en-3, es-3, fr-2, it-2||Portuguese Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons||Mostly Ancient Roman history related to Portugal, Spain and the Magreb...|
|Richard Nevell||en-N||English Wikipedia, Wikidata||Medieval archaeologist by training with an interest in Roman Britain, especially Pevensey. I'm also interested in Wikidata to map how publications link to each other on certain topics, such as Roman archaeology.|
|Hartmann Linge||de-n, en-3, it-1, la-1, nl-1||German Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons||Roman Empire, Roman military history, history and archaeology of the Roman provinces, history and archaeology of the Roman limites; museums and biographies of scholars related to these topics ...|
German Wikipedia project "Roman limes"
|Xenophôn||en-3, fr-N||French Wikipedia, Commons, Wikisource||Ancient Greek history|
|Csisc||ar-N, fr-N, en-4, it-2, de-1, mt-1||French Wikipedia, Wikidata||Enhancing the coverage of Roman Empire on Wikidata|
|Pradigue||fr-N, en-2,||French Wikipedia, Commons||Roman Empire, phoenician and punic world, Carthage, North Africa, Afghanistan|
|Pompilos||es-N, fr-3, ca-3, en-2, el-1||Spanish Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata||Greek ancient writers, etymology of Spanish vocabulary|
|Kaizenify||Yo-N, en-4, fr-1||Yoruba and English Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata||Enhancing the coverage of Yoruba religion across all wikimedia projects and curating black artifacts.|
|Millars||es-N, ca-N, en-3, fr-3, it-3, pt-3, de-1||Spanish and Catalan Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, etc.||History, Arts, Cultural heritage. Current History student|
|llywrch||en-N, de-2, la-1, ang-1||English Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, Wikisource||General history (political & social) up to about 10th century; currently creating biographies of consular (& some equestrian) Roman Imperial personages|
|HalfdanRagnarsson||en-N||English Wikipedia, Commons||Finance in antiquity, also broadly into antiquity in general, esp. late and classical|
|Z. Blace||sh-N, hr-N, en-4, de-2, ?latin-1||English Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata, Wikispore,||Studied art pedagogy (including art history) and interested in antiquity and connections of Adriatic to Mediterranean coasts|
|Jahl de Vautban||fr-N, en-3, de-2, it-2, es-1, la-1, grc-1||French Wikisource, Wikidata||Interested in the whole hellenistic history, as well as reception and traduction of ancient texts|
|Digitalphilologist||it-N, en-1, fr-2, de-2, la-1, grc-1||English Wikipedia, Wikidata||Interested in Greek and Roman history and philology, as well as in Digital Classics and Digital Humanities|
|User:So9q||en-4||Wikidata||Interested in lexemes in ancient greek and other ancient cultures that have derivations in languages I know (Swedish and Danish mostly).|
|Yamen||ar-N, fr-5, en-5, it-1, es-1, mt-1||French, Arabic, English Wikipedia, Commons, Wikidata||Phoenician and punic world, Carthage, North Africa, Roman Empire...|
The group was created a spin off of the Sapere Aude grant, when the need for a cross platform coordination emerged during local activities. The activity was originally cross-platform and the UG was created to expand the need for users coordination among different languages.
- 2018-05-14: Activity on Wikisource with the AICC, Pontedera;
- 2018-12: Participation at Romanian Centenary edit-a-thon of the anniversary of modern Romania;
- 2018-12-12: Official preliminary request for affiliation;
- 2019-02-06: first informal presence at IberoCoop (thanks to WikiDonne), looking for international contacts
- 2019-02-19: Meeting and support at the AIB event in Pontedera (Pisa) about the cataloging of the cultural heritage sites on Wikidata in Tuscany. The group will provide support for archeological sites.
- 2019-03-03: Logo contest in talk page ends. Logo declared.
- 2019-03-05: twitter account created.
- 2019-03-09: Facebook group created.
- 2019-03-14/15: Informal participation at Convegno Stelline (for Italian librarians).
- 2019-03-18: Final proposal of complete logo.
- 2019-03-28: second informal presence at WikiSummit2019, looking for more international contacts: Alexmar983 was there thanks to WikiDonne, Asaf Bartov as staff, Marcus Cyron and DerHexer as members of WMDE, Camelia Boban as AffCom. The meta page was presented to the delegates of affiliates from Estonia and Malta.
- 2019-04-14: Final formal step for recognition submitted, discussion about name
- 2019-05-08: Final formal step for recognition submitted
- 2019-05-11: Recognition by AffCom
- 2019-06: Activity at Liceo Classico Galileo Galilei in Pisa
- 2019-07-07: Twitter account reaches 100th follower
- 2019-08: Wikimania in Sweden, informal presence - page
- 2019-09: Wiki Loves Classics, first (temptative) edition!
- 2020-03-08: WikiGap in Rome and Pisa (moved on line)
- 2020-03: Wiki Loves Classics exhibition (cancelled)
- 2020-05-08: yearly report published on meta, table updated.
- 2020-07-20:quick small ceremony for one of the winner of WLC2019 in Florence.
In this page reports are listed by year. For practical reason we use one year in the filing title but the refer to a period of time going from May to May.