Talk:List of articles every Wikipedia should have/Expanded
Revamping "Language family" sectionEdit
I propose the following changes to the "Language family" section.
- Replace Ibero-Caucasian languages with Trans-New Guinea languages
- Ibero-Caucasian family is a proposal with limited support, and there seems little to be written on the subject. While an article on the Languages of the Caucasus would be a valuable addition to any Wikipedia, it would not come under the rubric of "Language family". I recommend replacing it with Trans-New Guinea languages, one of the largest families in the world.
- Replace Tungusic languages with Pama-Nyungan languages
- With Altaic languages on the list, the inclusion of Tungusic languages seems redundant and reflective of a Eurasian bias. I recommend replacing it with Pama-Nyungan languages instead, the largest family in Australia and one of the largest in the world. This has the additional benefit of all continents being represented on the list.
- Replace Eskimo–Aleut languages with Na-Dene languages
- The latter seems to be a better representative of North American languages, with more languages and more speakers.
- Move Quechuan languages from "Individual languages" to "Language family"
- Move Turkic languages under Altaic languages
- Done Ellpicre (talk) 09:58, 26 September 2021 (UTC)
- I think the concept of "Eskimo–Aleut languages", representing language spoken by native people around Arctic, is more important than the concept of "Altaic languages", which is not well recognized as an actual language family, thus I suggest replacement to be made there. C933103 (talk) 03:25, 12 March 2022 (UTC)
Some proposals for ArchitectureEdit
In the past, I can amend the list directly in case I have provided valid reasons, but now Dcirovic requires to have discussion before amending, so I launch the discussion here.
|1||Naqsh-e Jahan Square
|Naqsh-e Jahan Square is not in Americas. White House is a famous building in Americas but not included in the list yet.|
|2||National Congress of Brasil
|Christ the Redeemer
|National Congress of Brasil is an article about the legislative body of Brazil's federal government, not a building. Christ the Redeemer is a famous structure in Brasil but not included in the list yet.|
- I edited the National Congress of Brasil entry to refer to the building, not the legislative body. Theklan (talk) 22:51, 18 February 2022 (UTC)
- @Theklan: I do not agree with this solution. Building of National Congress of Brasil only has 9 language versions. We have tight quotas for the list, is that building really worth to reserve a seat? Or should it be given to a more notable building or structure in Americas (such as Christ the Redeemer which is also in Brasil)?
- For #1, as there is no further comments for a few months, I have amended that. --Telepo (talk) 06:13, 13 March 2022 (UTC)
- Christ the Redeemer is also a good option. BUT... the article should be about a building/structure, not for a legislative body. Whatever it is decided, National Congress of Brasil is not an option becuase is not an structure, but an organization. Theklan (talk) 10:01, 13 March 2022 (UTC)
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/antibiotic-resistance A very important article! Add please. -- Флаттершай (talk) 18:30, 17 November 2021 (UTC)
- Agree with adding this article because of "one of the biggest threats to global health, food security, and development today". As far as we have in the list both Vaccination and Vaccine, I offer to replace Vaccine with en:Antimicrobial resistance. --Movses (talk) 22:38, 29 January 2022 (UTC)
Remove Watch (d:Q178794), possibly add Wristwatch (d:Q26965868) or Pocket watch (d:Q849813)Edit
Since Wikipedia is an international and, most importantly, multilingual project, it is counter-intuitive to include concepts that don't have established terms in many world languages into the list of articles that every Wikipedia should have. This is one of such cases. A brief look at Wikidata item d:Q178794 reveals that there is no established single term for all types of personal mobile clocks in such languages as German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, or Italian. Moreover, I don't know what happens in other sectors, but in Russian Wikipedia users trying to create a new article on this concept (e.g., w:ru:Носимые часы) encounter fierce opposition due to the fact that there is no such term in Russian reliable sources (an example of such discussion: ). "An article every Wikipedia should have" that cannot be readily created in a bunch of leading languages is an oxymoron. Thus, I suggest removing Watch from the Technology list. There are already several timepiece-related items in the list, including Clock, Sundial, Hourglass and Water clock, but if we really need another item for the modern mobile personal timepiece we can replace Watch with Wristwatch (d:Q26965868, actually linked to articles in English, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Russian languages) or Pocket watch (d:Q849813, articles in all these languages plus French). Alternatively, we can include another piece of navigational machinery, such as Chronometer watch (d:Q193150, articles in 39 languages including all leading ones), or even use the vacant space for some other subsection of the Technology list. --Deinocheirus (talk) 14:10, 17 December 2021 (UTC)
+Indian literature | -Australian literatureEdit
Hello! Currently there is an article about "literature in English" (Q186579) (Q186579))) and five about national literatures in English: American, Australian, British, Canadian and Irish. But there's no article about Indian literature that seems way more important than the Australian one, that could be served by the "literature in English" article. The same should apply for +Vietnamese -Canadian. -Theklan (talk) 22:48, 18 February 2022 (UTC)
Replace "jive" with "reggaeton"Edit
The article about Jive (Q17237) exists in 34 languages, but is not relevant actually (477 daily visits). reggaeton (Q202930) exists in 50 languages (3,442 daily visits) and is one of the most succesful music genres today. I suggest switching them. -Theklan (talk) 18:09, 19 February 2022 (UTC)
Just a type of computer components layout, not the only way of placing it in computer (see Backplane, System Host Board, etc.). Not all of components, that usually placing on motherboard, always must be there. More than, most of information about motherboards consider parts of PC-compatible computer. I propose to replace it by IBM PC compatible, because this is more notable and important theme.--Tucvbif (talk) 11:20, 10 May 2022 (UTC)
Remove hemp from the listEdit
The list contains two articles: cannabis and hemp. But these are the same plant. The difference between articles is that the article hemp is about industrial use of cannabis. It doesn't seem right to have both articles in the list, since hemp is just a subsection of the cannabis article. So, I suggest to remove hemp in favor of one of the other important plats. -- Maximkaaa (talk) 06:21, 30 June 2022 (UTC)