Invitation to share your ideas on Wikimedia’s Innovation Idea Wall


Dear @ESEAP Hub:

Thank you for being part of our, the Innovation team at Wikimedia Deutschland's, journey in developing a new innovation format for the Movement this far (you can read more about it here:Re-imagining_UNLOCK). As we are moving along with our process, we would love to hear your ideas on how to address the challenges that you have helped us identify – challenges that are keeping us from fostering innovation in our communities.

To facilitate collaborative ideation, we have created an Innovation Idea Wall—a virtual space where you can freely scribble down your ideas whenever you find a moment of inspiration. We believe that by putting together the collective wisdom and creativity of Wikimedians like yourself, we can unlock new possibilities for innovation in our Movement.

To access the Innovation Idea Wall, simply follow this link [1]. You will be directed to our concept board, an online whiteboard, where you will find the instructions on how to get started. We assure you that the process is easy to follow along. In brief, we have formulated some questions that we invite you to brainstorm on – any idea is welcome! Your opinions matter greatly to us, as we firmly believe that Wikimedians possess the firsthand knowledge and expertise needed to identify the necessary improvements in our approach to innovation.

We look forward to watching this Idea Wall grow over the coming weeks. The idea wall will be accessible until July 3rd.

Best regards, Sissela Björk (WMDE) (talk) 15:17, 12 June 2023 (UTC)Reply

A request for help


Hello there!

It is my understanding that, among other things, this group also cares about the development of the Mongolian language on Wikimedia projects, I wanted to give you a heads-up that the Language team at the Foundation would like to chat with that community about how the next steps with the Content Translation tool could lead that Wikipedia to grow. Before we do that though, we'd like to have our message translated, in the hope that this will help people engage better with it :) So if you can help with this, please head to User:Elitre_(WMF)/Boost_initiative. I will ping you again after the message is translated and the conversation is actually happening, so hopefully you can also weigh in then. Best, --Elitre (WMF) (talk) 18:27, 13 September 2019 (UTC)Reply



I propose adding another column to {{ESEAP Hub/Header}} to accommodate ESEAP online meetings that has been ongoing since August 2020. If there's no objection, I would add it myself. dwf² (talk) 00:35, 24 December 2020 (UTC)Reply

Mailing list


Should we consider using asian-wikimedians as the official mailing list channel for ESEAP Hub? dwf² 23:14, 3 February 2021 (UTC)Reply

Invitation to join the UCoC Roundtable Discussions


You are invited to participate in the Roundtable Discussions about how to enforce the Universal Code of Conduct within the Wikimedia movement. There are two Zoom calls scheduled at 15 May and 29 May, both at 15:00-16.30 UTC. Please sign your name here if you are interested. Thank you! RamzyM (WMF) (talk) 20:59, 5 May 2021 (UTC)Reply

Invitation to join the 12 June UCoC Roundtable discussion


Dear Wikimedians: you are invited to participate in the next Roundtable discussion on the Universal Code of Conduct (UCoC). The next iteration would be held on Saturday, 12 June 2021, on 05.00-06.30 UTC (see your local time here). The forum would discuss how to enforce the Code of Conduct across Wikimedia projects and communities. Should you have any question, please direct it to Ramzy Muliawan. See you there! MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:09, 3 June 2021 (UTC)Reply

Universal Code of Conduct News – Issue 2


Universal Code of Conduct News
Issue 2, July 2021Read the full newsletter

Welcome to the second issue of Universal Code of Conduct News! This newsletter will help Wikimedians stay involved with the development of the new code and will distribute relevant news, research, and upcoming events related to the UCoC.

If you haven’t already, please remember to subscribe here if you would like to be notified about future editions of the newsletter, and also leave your username here if you’d like to be contacted to help with translations in the future.

  • Enforcement Draft Guidelines Review - Initial meetings of the drafting committee have helped to connect and align key topics on enforcement, while highlighting prior research around existing processes and gaps within our movement. (continue reading)
  • Targets of Harassment Research - To support the drafting committee, the Wikimedia Foundation has conducted a research project focused on experiences of harassment on Wikimedia projects. (continue reading)
  • Functionaries’ Consultation - Since June, Functionaries from across the various wikis have been meeting to discuss what the future will look like in a global context with the UCoC. (continue reading)
  • Roundtable Discussions - The UCoC facilitation team once again, hosted another roundtable discussion, this time for Korean-speaking community members and participants of other ESEAP projects to discuss the enforcement of the UCoC. (continue reading)
  • Early Adoption of UCoC by Communities - Since its ratification by the Board in February 2021, situations whereby UCoC is being adopted and applied within the Wikimedia community has grown. (continue reading)
  • New Timeline for the Interim Trust & Safety Case Review Committee - The CRC was originally expected to conclude by July 1. However, with the UCoC now expected to be in development until December, the timeline for the CRC has also changed. (continue reading)
  • Wikimania - The UCoC team is planning to hold a moderated discussion featuring representatives across the movement during Wikimania 2021. It also plans to have a presence at the conference’s Community Village. (continue reading)
  • Diff blogs - Check out the most recent publications about the UCoC on Wikimedia Diff blog. (continue reading)

Should you have any question regarding the UCoC, please direct it to the Movement Strategy & Governance facilitator for the ESEAP region, RamzyM (WMF).

-- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 14:09, 14 July 2021 (UTC)Reply

Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee


Movement Strategy announces the Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee. The Call opens August 2, 2021 and closes September 1, 2021.

The Committee is expected to represent diversity in the Movement. Diversity includes gender, language, geography, and experience. This comprises participation in projects, affiliates, and the Wikimedia Foundation.

English fluency is not required to become a member. If needed, translation and interpretation support is provided. Members will receive an allowance to offset participation costs. It is US$100 every two months.

We are looking for people who have some of the following skills:

  • Know how to write collaboratively. (demonstrated experience is a plus)
  • Are ready to find compromises.
  • Focus on inclusion and diversity.
  • Have knowledge of community consultations.
  • Have intercultural communication experience.
  • Have governance or organization experience in non-profits or communities.
  • Have experience negotiating with different parties.

The Committee is expected to start with 15 people. If there are 20 or more candidates, a mixed election and selection process will happen. If there are 19 or fewer candidates, then the process of selection without election takes place.

Will you help move Wikimedia forward in this important role? Submit your candidacy starting from next week here. Please contact strategy2030 or Ramzy Muliawan, Movement Strategy and Governance facilitator for the ESEAP region, with questions.

-- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 10:39, 30 July 2021 (UTC)Reply

Delay of the 2021 WMF Board of Trustees election


Dear Wikimedians,

We are reaching out to you today regarding the 2021 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election. This election was due to open on August 4th. Due to some technical issues with SecurePoll, the election must be delayed by two weeks. This means we plan to launch the election on August 18th, which is the day after Wikimania concludes.

For information on the technical issues, you can see the Phabricator ticket.

We are truly sorry for this delay and hope that we will get back on schedule on August 18th. We are in touch with the Elections Committee and the candidates to coordinate next steps. We will update the Board election Talk page and Telegram channel as we know more.

-- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 16:07, 3 August 2021 (UTC)Reply

Voting for the WMF Board of Trustees election is now open


Voting for the 2021 Board of Trustees election is now open. Candidates from the community were asked to submit their candidacy. After a three week long Call for Candidates, there are 19 candidates for the 2021 election.

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees oversees the Wikimedia Foundation's operations. The Board wants to improve their competences and diversity as a team. They have shared the areas of expertise that they are hoping to cover with new trustees.

The Wikimedia movement has the opportunity to select candidates who have the qualities to best serve the needs of the movement for the next several years. The Board is expected to select the four most voted candidates to serve as trustees. This term starts in September and lasts for three years. Learn more about the Board of Trustees in this short video.

Vote now until August 31.

Below is some useful information about the election process.

Learn more about the candidates

Candidates from across the movement have submitted their candidatures. Learn about each candidate to inform your vote. The community submitted questions for the candidates to answer during the campaign. Candidates answered the list of community questions collated by the Elections Committee on Meta.


Voting for the 2021 Board of Trustees election opened on 18 August 2021 and closes on 31 August 2021. The Elections Committee chose Single Transferable Vote for the voting system. The benefit of this is voters can rank their choices in order of preference. Learn more about voting requirements, how to vote, and frequently asked questions about voting.

Please help in the selection of those people who best fit the needs of the movement at this time. Vote and spread the word so more people can vote for candidates. Those selected will help guide the Wikimedia Foundation and support the needs of the movement over the next few years.


The Elections Committee

-- MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 06:40, 18 August 2021 (UTC)Reply

Universal Code of Conduct Draft Enforcement Guidelines review still needs your ideas and opinions


Hello, this is just a reminder that the Universal Code of Conduct Draft Enforcement Guidelines are open for review and comment. The Drafting Committee will start working on revisions and improvement in less than two weeks (October 17), so it is important that you give them your ideas and opinions soon!

There is now a short, simple version of the Draft Guidelines here to make your review easier. If possible, also help translate the short version into more languages!

We will also hold one last conversation hour on October 15, 2021 03:00 and 14:00 UTC.

On behalf of the Drafting Committee, much thanks to everyone who has given ideas so far. We hope to hear from more of you - the Guidelines will be much stronger if more opinions are included.

Best regards, RamzyM (WMF) 07:28, 6 October 2021 (UTC)Reply

WMF staff, contractors, and committees


In order to allow the ESEAP Wikimedians to get in touch with WMF folks responsible for a certain ESEAP portfolio, I've added this list to reflect it. It will be updated in line with the growing number of positions specifically working with the ESEAP communities. Best, RamzyM (WMF) (talk) 09:21, 27 October 2021 (UTC)Reply

ESEAP Regional Education Meeting


Join us for the 1st ESEAP Regional Education Meeting on 27th November 2021 at 7:00 UTC.

We are using this as an opportunity to strengthen the EduWiki network, explore collaboration opportunities, and identify common practices or challenges that are faced by our community members in different regions of the world. Learn and share your projects, tools, or ideas with the education community in the ESEAP region.

We are excited to hear from these wonderful speakers:

Education activities in Indonesia - Dimas Hardijanto, Deputy Coordinator of Education Program of Wikimedia Indonesia
Education activities in Australia - Alex Lum, President of Wikimedia Australia
Education activities in Malaysia - Dody Ismoyo, Wikimedia Community User Group Malaysia
Education activities in the Philippines - Imelda Brazal, EWOC Community Specialist - ESEAP Region

Read more about this event here: ESEAP Regional Meeting You may join as a sharer by adding your own agenda or send an email to to be included in the participants list.

Thank you.


EduWiki Outreach Collaborators Community Specialists Team

MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 07:56, 23 November 2021 (UTC)Reply

Closing the comment period for the Universal Code of Conduct Enforcement Draft Guidelines


Thank you for your continued comments and ideas on the Universal Code of Conduct enforcement guidelines. Your responses have helped to build a stronger Universal Code of Conduct.

If you have not already provided your comments, now is the time as the drafting committee has been meeting to update the enforcement guidelines. The drafting committee wants to consider all comments as they make their updates. Please submit any comments by the end of November. The Committee hopes to finish its revisions before the end of the year, and the revised guidelines will be published as soon as they have been completed.

The next steps for the Universal Code of Conduct include conversations about ratification of the enforcement guidelines. There will be a conversation about ratification on Nov 29.

The Wikimedia Foundation will make recommendations to the Board of Trustees about the ratification of the guidelines in December. The recommendations will inform the next steps in the Universal Code of Conduct process.

Best, RamzyM (WMF) 08:58, 26 November 2021 (UTC)Reply

Upcoming Call for Feedback about the Board of Trustees elections

You can find this message translated into additional languages on Meta-wiki.

The Board of Trustees is preparing a call for feedback about the upcoming Board Elections, from January 7 - February 10, 2022.

While details will be finalized the week before the call, we have confirmed at least two questions that will be asked during this call for feedback:

  • What is the best way to ensure fair representation of emerging communities among the Board?
  • What involvement should candidates have during the election?

While additional questions may be added, the Movement Strategy and Governance team wants to provide time for community members and affiliates to consider and prepare ideas on the confirmed questions before the call opens. We apologize for not having a complete list of questions at this time. The list of questions should only grow by one or two questions. The intention is to not overwhelm the community with requests, but provide notice and welcome feedback on these important questions.

Do you want to help organize local conversation during this Call?

Contact the Movement Strategy and Governance team on Meta, on Telegram, or via email at msg

Reach out if you have any questions or concerns. The Movement Strategy and Governance team will be minimally staffed until January 3. Please excuse any delayed response during this time. We also recognize some community members and affiliates are offline during the December holidays. We apologize if our message has reached you while you are on holiday.


Movement Strategy and Governance

RamzyM (WMF) (talk) 04:34, 27 December 2021 (UTC)Reply

Invitation to form an Analysis Committee for 2022 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election


@Canley, AINH, WhisperToMe, だ*ぜ, 無聊龍, Buszmail, Filipinayzd, Rachmat04, 이강철 (WMKR), Zawthet, Ninjastrikers, Dody Ismoyo, WAqil (WMYS), Exec8, Einebillion, Giantflightlessbirds, MurielMary, Pilarbini, Athikhun.suw, 2ndoct, Reke, Joycewikiwiki, Alphama, Iyumu, and 饅頭老師:

Dear Affiliates of the ESEAP region,

I am writing to inform you about the Affiliates involvement in the 2022 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees election and invite your participation.

This year, Wikimedia communities and affiliates will take part in selecting 2 candidates to fill the two community- and affiliate-elected seats available. To launch the process, Affiliates will vote in July 2022 to shortlist 6 candidates from the candidate pool, in which then will be voted by the community at-large. You can find more details about the process here.

Before the shortlisting vote, we are inviting you to participate in forming an Analysis Committee, which will rate the candidates based on specific criteria. This Committee will be composed of 9 representatives from Wikimedia chapters, user groups, and thematic organisations. Members of the Committee will each represent the 8 geographic regions of the Wikimedia movement and an additional group for thematic Affiliates. This, you may remember, is not dissimilar to the process that we used last year to appoint a selector for the Affiliate selection process of Movement Charter Drafting Committee. In this Meta page you can see which region/group your Affiliate will be collaborating with to select a member for the Analysis Committee.

The MSG facilitators for the ESEAP region are Vivien, Yumiko, Youngjin, and I. We are prepared to offer facilitation and support to help the collaboration and decision making process. You can reach out directly to us or by leaving a comment at the Meta talk page.

Best regards, RamzyM (WMF) (talk) 12:08, 27 April 2022 (UTC)Reply

Hubs June 2022 Global Conversations Report


Sharing the latest report published by the Movement Strategy and Governance team regarding the June 24-26 Global Hub Conversations.

You can also find key agreements, open questions, and next steps from our team's end shared on the Movement Strategy Forum. If you have any feedback, please do not hesitate to let us knowǃ VChang (WMF) (talk) 13:09, 28 July 2022 (UTC)Reply

Request to add WMGMC to the Yellow Pages in ESEAP Hub


Dear Affiliates of the ESEAP region,

I'm writing to you to make a request to add our group, Wikimedian's Group of Mainland China, to the list in Not-yet-recognized chapter in Yellow Pages of ESEAP Hub. The group was founded on 9 April 2022.

If it's OK for us to add our group directly to the list without permission, please just reply to this message to let us know.

Best regards, A Chinese user (talk) 13:26, 21 August 2022 (UTC)Reply

Personal Invitation to the Open Innovation Café of Wikimedia Deutschland


Dear members of ESEAPHub,

This year we are setting out on a journey to build a new format for the Wikimedia Movement, a safe space that will foster innovation and allow members of our community to experiment with and build new ideas for Free Knowledge. This is why we would like to extend a personal invitation to you for a representative of ESEAP Hub to join our Open Innovation Café where we want to tell you all about what we are planning and how we would love you to be involved!

We are reaching out to people, affiliate representatives and Wikimedia community members who specifically indicated in some capacity that they are either working on or interested in innovation in the Wikimedia Movement and/or recommendation no. 9 “Innovate in Free Knowledge” of the Movement Strategy 2030. We will be a diverse, international group. The Café will be done in English and will be hosted by us. There is no preparation required, simply drop in as you are.

When and where will the Open Innovation Café take place? We will be running two identical open cafés, so choose the slot and time zone that suits you best:

We look forward to seeing you at the Open Innovation Café and diving deeper into this exciting, pan-Movement endeavor!

--Kannika Thaimai (WMDE) (talk) and Lucia Obst (WMDE) (talk) 14:50, 2 March 2023 (CET). Feel free to reach out to us at

Dear members of ESEAPHub, If you were not able to join the call we have set up a page on Meta-Wiki documenting our Re-Imagining UNLOCK journey. So be sure to have a look at what we are planning and join any future discussions! In short: We are setting up a new innovation format for the WIkimedia Movement, but we cannot do this on our own!
How can you get involved? We have created a quick 4-question survey (anonymous) that will help us in better understanding the needs and challenges of our Movement in innovating in Free Knowledge. This will form the basis of any new innovation format to take shape in the future. It would be wonderful if you could give us a few minutes of your time as we are grateful for any response.
Many thanks for being a part of this journey. We are also happy to keep you in the loop of any future developments, outcomes of the survey and the next Open Café! Best wishes,--Lucia Obst (WMDE) (talk) 12:19, 16 March 2023 (UTC)Reply

Personal Invitation to the Open Innovation Café volume 2 of Wikimedia Deutschland


Dear affiliates of te ESEAP region,

We asked – you delivered: After asking all our stakeholders for input through our Open Innovation Café volume 1, a survey and interviews, we have collected the research data and compiled some insightful problem statements. These cover the needs and challenges our Movement faces in innovating in Free Knowledge – quite eye-opening!

Join us at our Open Innovation Café volume 2 to hear about what we have found and how we will use these insights in building a new innovation format for the Wikimedia Movement. Maybe some insights will also be helpful in your community work as well?

When and where will the Open Innovation Café take place? We will be running two identical open cafés, so choose the slot and time zone that suits you best:

This will be done in English and is hosted by the Innovation team at Wikimedia Deutschland. There is no requirement for joining, simply drop in as you are. Looking forward to seeing you there! --Lucia Obst (WMDE) (talk) 09:34, 11 May 2023 (UTC)Reply

Pacific Islands community volunteer


Malo te ma'uli,

I am working on the 'Uvean wikipedia incubator

I would be happy to join as a volunteer and coordinate regional efforts in the Pacific islands.

Thanks! Lea.fakauvea (talk) 12:58, 18 May 2023 (UTC)Reply

Let's Connect Learning Clinic: Understanding the Movement Charter with MCDC for ESEAP region


Hello, A quick reminder that we have an important Learning Clinic coming up! Let's Connect working group and Movement Charter invite you to participate in this learning clinic on Understanding the Movement Charter with the Movement Charter Drafting Committee.

After the session, participants will be able to engage in meaningful discussions within the Wikimedia community, with additional guidance from the Movement Charter Drafting Committee.

Registration link is here. The Google calendar invitation will be sent once you register.

We look forward to seeing you! - Gorana Gomirac (VMRS) (talk) 19:29, 4 October 2023 (UTC)Reply

Return to "ESEAP Hub" page.