Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20/Transition/Discuss/Increase the Sustainability of our Movement
Systematic approach to improve satisfaction and productivityEdit
Develop a systematic approach to improve the satisfaction and productivity of people engaged in the Movement by:
- Assessing the needs of groups and volunteers, taking into account their local contexts for effective support and recognition of efforts.
- Continuously engaging and supporting publicly diverse types of online and offline contributors.
- Comment Delay in funding means delay in execution of planned activities. --Filipinayzd (talk) 13:33, 25 November 2020 (UTC)
- Comment WP is largely engaged with people with other obligations who can not necessarily plan ahead, and flexibility in alloting funds as he needs areise is important. DGG (talk) 10:31, 14 December 2020 (UTC)
- @Filipinayzd and DGG: Thank you both for your useful feedback. Based on results from here and the Global Conversations, there's now a dedicated part of the space to discuss the highly-prioritized initiatives for global implementation in 2021-22. You're invited to continue the conversation there, if interested --Abbad (WMF) (talk) 15:39, 17 December 2020 (UTC).
Funding for underrepresented communitiesEdit
Dedicate a significantly larger amount of Movement funding to support emerging and marginalized communities and groups based on their needs, including reimbursement for staffing, operational costs, and other activities not directly related to adding, curating or editing content.
Increased awareness about the Wikimedia MovementEdit
Increase awareness about the Wikimedia Movement, its values, achievements, projects, and communities worldwide – to secure the attention, trust, and interest of knowledge consumers, volunteers, partners, and donors.
Global revenue generation policy and fundraising strategyEdit
- Create a policy applying to all Movement entities to outline rules for revenue generation and to define what may be adapted to local context and needs. This policy will balance sustainability, our mission and values, and financial independence. In accordance with this policy, we will:
- Distribute the responsibility of revenue generation across Movement entities and develop local fundraising skills to increase sustainability.
- Increase revenue and diversify revenue streams across the Movement, while ensuring funds are raised and spent in a transparent and accountable manner.
- Explore new opportunities for both revenue generation and free knowledge dissemination through partnerships and earned income.
- Comment One thing WP does not need is more money. It can not effectively spend what it already have. The movement was at is strongest and most inflential when it depended of volunteers, not paid labor. If it dfoes try to spend more money ,experience shows it is likely to spend it on initiatives hat are not in line withtthe basic intent of the movement. DGG (talk) 10:31, 14 December 2020 (UTC)
Developing enterprise-level APIEdit
Building enterprise-level APIs (with high standards of availability, throughput, and usability).
- Engage partners in the development wherever appropriate, incorporating the needs of a spectrum of small, non-commercial, and larger commercial reusers.
- Explore fees or sustainability models for enterprise-scale commercial reusers, taking care to avoid revenue dependencies or other undue external influence in product design and development.
- Develop appropriate safeguards to ensure continued free, unrestricted access for non-commercial, research, and small to moderate commercial use
Engagement of third party ecosystemsEdit
Active engagement of third party ecosystems in the development of MediaWiki technologies (e.g. Wikibase and Parsoid).
Revenue generation for the MovementEdit
- Active engagement of third party ecosystems in the development of MediaWiki technologies (e.g. Wikibase and Parsoid).
- Providing professional and consultancy services concerning MediaWiki technologies.
- Creating merchandising and making use of the Wikimedia brand.
Aligning our practices to support environmental sustainabilityEdit
While we grow and become more sustainable as a Movement, we will also align our practices to support the environmental sustainability of our planet.
- Hi, I would be interested in working on this, aligning this initiative with the Sustainability Initiative and the WMF sustainability efforts. --Gnom (talk) 16:12, 26 November 2020 (UTC)