Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20/Transition/Discuss/Manage Internal Knowledge
Facilitate a culture of documentation edit
Facilitate a culture of documentation to become integral to Wikimedia’s work and evaluation and as an outcome in itself, by resourcing its creation in key areas, such as capacity building, advocacy, partnerships, and technology.
Establish a movement wide knowledge base edit
Establish a knowledge-base system with access to all Movement learning assets.
- Design the knowledge-base to be user-friendly, participatory, functional, multilingual, and searchable to store all the internal knowledge resources of the Movement so contributors can be aware of what exists and where to find it.
- Create clear documentation regarding infrastructure development and scalability to transparently engage more Movement stakeholders.
- Encourage the creation of metadata for every piece of internal knowledge to support its findability through search tools.
Encourage the growth and maintenance of this knowledge-base following these practices:
- Encourage sprints with focused scope to avoid cost and time overruns.
- Adapt content, training, and learning to local contexts and involve diverse communities to ensure knowledge is accessible and available in multiple forms.
- Provide dedicated staff to assist with content curation, discoverability, quality assurance, user support, and to facilitate peer-to-peer matchmaking.
- Support the creation of reports to measure and evaluate the Movement’s progress accurately, thus creating better awareness and setting informed priorities.