Requests for new languages/Wikivoyage Tagalog
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikivoyage Tagalog|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||tl (SIL, Ethnologue)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Tagalog||Language name in English|
|Language name||Tagalog||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q34057 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Project name||"Wikivoyage" in your language|
|Project namespace||Wikivoyage||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Usapang Wikivoyage||"Wikivoyage talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||135x135 PNG derivative from a decent SVG image (instructions)|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Manila||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example for a Wikisource which would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk"|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
|Please read the handbook for requesters for help using this template correctly.|
Tagalog is the largest language in the Philippines (24 million native speakers), and as Filipino, is the national language of the Philippines.
There was an increasing need to have a travel guide written in Tagalog as many articles in Tagalog Wikipedia were written in a promotional or marketing type of tone. Texts from those articles need to be transferred to this proposed Wikimedia Project.
Many Filipinos and expatriates who knows Tagalog travel in many places in the Philippines. This is evident in the large turnout in Wikipedia Takes Manila (January 15, 2011) and Wiki Loves Monuments (March-September 2012).
- Strong support A Wikivoyage in Tagalog will be sustainable, especially as this taps a group of potential new editors (travelers and travel bloggers) who may feel that their writing talents are better-invested in this project. In addition, this would be the first travel guide written in Tagalog (as travel guides sold in the Philippines are all in English), so it opens up more avenues for free knowledge in the Philippines. --Sky Harbor (talk) 00:43, 23 January 2013 (UTC)
- Wikimedia Philippines has too many projects to manage and promote. You have to work on encouraging, attracting more contributors first. WMPH members have increased but how many of them know how to edit or have an account? --Filipinayzd (talk) 04:10, 31 January 2013 (UTC)
- Wikimedia Philippines does not manage the projects, and I don't think community members need to be get the chapter's blessing in order to start a new project. At the same time (though completely secondary and irrelevant to the merits of this project), we are working on getting more contributors: you wouldn't have Exec8 going to Leyte and Pangasinan or myself to Bohol if that weren't the case. What makes you think otherwise? --Sky Harbor (talk) 22:59, 31 January 2013 (UTC)