Requests for new languages/Wikiquote Oriya
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikiquote Oriya|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||or (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Oriya||Language name in English|
|Language name||ଓଡ଼ିଆ||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q33810 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Links||,||Links to previous requests, or references to external websites or documents.|
|Project name||ଉଇକିକଥା||"Wikiquote" in your language|
|Project namespace||ଉଇକିକଥା||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||ଉଇକିକଥା_ଆଲୋଚନା||"Wikiquote talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||no||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikiquote-logo-or.png||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||IST (UTC+5:30)||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Oriya is the predominant language of Orissa (now officially known as Odisha), where Oriya speakers comprise around 83.33% of the population according to census surveys.
- Number of speakers: More than 45 million (globally) speak Oriya
- Locations spoken: Orissa, Vishakhapatnam, Hyderabad, Pondicherry, Bangalore, Chennai, Goa, Mumbai, Raipur, Jamshedpur, Baroda, Ahmedabad, New Delhi, Kolkata, Kharagpur, Guwahati.
- Oriya language has spread to the other parts of the globe such as Burma, Malaysia, Fiji, Indonesia, Java, Sumatra, the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and UAE. --Srikant Kedia 08:14, 10 September 2011 (UTC)
Arguments in favourEdit
- I am up for or.wikiquote. Please approve. -ansuman 08:41, 10 September 2011 (UTC)
- The translation work in Translatewiki ir going progressively and MediaWiki as well as extension messages will be translated very soon. So, please enable this project. ସୁଭ ପା (Subhashish Panigrahi) 17:24, 10 September 2011 (UTC)
- ODIA "Dhaga dhamali" not only bears only some good sound and enhance our speech, but also bears some internal truth. We should take a step forward to make it alive in the modern society. Suchishraba Pallai 14:32, 16 September 2011 (UTC)
- Yes, i am in favour, as oriya wikipedia is growing up, day by day.. Bhartia 13:11, 17 September 2011 (UTC)
- Odia Wiki is growing up day by day and Wikiquote will help the Odias in India and abroad to learn the pros and cons of odia literature and this also shows how ancient odia literature is.ଦୀପ୍ତିମାନ ପାଣିଗ୍ରାହୀ(Diptiman Panigrahi) 12.29, 18 September 2011 (UTC)
- Odia is a very old language with a large community using the language which has a rich history of 2000 years.Inside Odisha we find many tribal language, they all use odia script.It has it's own digits which are still in use inside the state.It is important to save the great culture of odia. So please approve this request.
- I am in favor of Wikiquote.It will help oriya Wikipedia and oriya language.please approve.--Kamalakanta777 (talk) 14:32, 9 January 2013 (UTC)
I had marked this as approved, but pulled the trigger too fast, and some issues were raised afterwards. Namely, much of the content in the Incubator seems to be poems, not quotes, and that is more fit for a Wikisource. Wikiquotes should have (relatively short) quotes by specific people or on specific topics, while much of the content here fails to meet those criteria. Please consider moving the content to Wikisource; then, if there is more activity there, the Oriya Wikisource proposal could be considered instead. Jon Harald Søby (talk) 00:23, 3 February 2013 (UTC)
- Thank You Jon, I have marked all the poems in a category which will be transfer to wikisource --Srikant Kedia 12:29, 3 February 2013 (UTC)
In this language the quotes are in the form of poem. I mean though they seem like poems they are actually quotes. In ancient odia language the quotes were in these forms only. In short "Short lines which teach moral values and ethics".--Jnanaranjan sahu (talk) 06:50, 3 February 2013 (UTC)