Requests for new languages/Wikiquote Cantonese
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikiquote Cantonese|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||yue (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Cantonese||Language name in English|
|Language name||粵文||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q9186 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||維基語錄||"Wikiquote" in your language|
|Project namespace||維基語錄||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||維基語錄討論||"Wikiquote talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikiquote-logo.svg||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||UTC||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||Anything else that should be set|
Cantonese is a great language, it had a long time of history. I, Gabriel Lee, would like to build the Cantonese version of Wikiquote for the good example in the Cantonese version of Wikipedia. Here is the test wiki, it is not finished building yet since all of the policies are missing and there is less quotes. But do not forget that the are ~100 million of Cantonese spekers all over the world. Hope you may support our request, thank you!
- Support--安可 ‧對話（中文維基百科用戶） 06:42, 19 June 2013 (UTC)
- Being a Cantonese Wikipedia user, I will surely vote for Strong support. LC (talk) 10:09, 13 August 2016 (UTC)
- support though at incubator.wikimedia, rather than as a standalone at this point of time. I also note the other Chinese language wikis at wikiquote are all in the form zh-xxx and would think that such a pattern would continue presumably be zh-yue. — billinghurst sDrewth 11:33, 13 August 2016 (UTC)
- Strong support for yue.wikiquote.org! --126.96.36.199 18:11, 28 August 2016 (UTC)
- Support As a zh-yue Wikipedia user, voting strong support for this is a must!--Matttest (talk) 09:48, 27 December 2020 (UTC)
- Support. —— Eric Liu（Talk） 09:34, 25 June 2021 (UTC)
- Oppose reason can be found at this Phabricator link.
- So you oppose creating a new wiki at yue.wikiquote.org because a wiki at zh-yue.wikipedia.org should be renamed? --MF-W 13:12, 20 April 2015 (UTC)