Requests for new languages/Wikinews Min Dong Chinese
|←main page||Request for a new language edition: Wikinews Min Dong Chinese|
- The community needs to develop an active test project; it must remain active until approval (automated statistics, recent changes). It is generally considered active if the analysis lists at least three active, not-grayed-out editors listed in the sections for the previous few months.
- The community needs to complete required MediaWiki interface translations in that language (about localization, translatewiki, check completion).
- The community needs to discuss and complete the settings table below:
|What||Value||Example / Explanation|
|Language code||cdo (SIL, Glottolog)||A valid ISO 639-1 or 639-3 language code, like "fr", "de", "nso", ...|
|Language name||Eastern Min||Language name in English|
|Language name||Bàng-uâ / 平話||Language name in your language. This will appear in the language list on Special:Preferences, in the interwiki sidebar on other wikis, ...|
|Language Wikidata item||Q36455 - item has currently the following values:
||Item about the language at Wikidata. It would normally include the Wikimedia language code, name of the language, etc. Please complete at Wikidata if needed.|
|Directionality||LTR||Is the language written from left to right (LTR) or from right to left (RTL)?|
|Project name||Mì-gĭ Sĭng-ùng / 維基新聞||"Wikinews" in your language|
|Project namespace||Wikinews||usually the same as the project name|
|Project talk namespace||Wikinews talk||"Wikinews talk" (the discussion namespace of the project namespace)|
|Enable uploads||yes||Default is "no". Preferably, files should be uploaded to Commons.|
If you want, you can enable local file uploading, either by any user ("yes") or by administrators only ("admin").
Notes: (1) This setting can be changed afterwards. The setting can only be "yes" or "admin" at approval if the test creates an Exemption Doctrine Policy (EDP) first. (2) Files on Commons can be used on all Wikis. (3) Uploading fair-use images is not allowed on Commons (more info). (4) Localisation to your language may be insufficient on Commons.
|Project logo||File:Wikinews-logo-cdo.png||This needs to be an SVG image (instructions for logo creation).|
|Default project timezone||Asia/Shanghai||"Continent/City", e.g. "Europe/Brussels" or "America/Mexico City" (see list of valid timezones)|
|Additional namespaces||"Hani", "Hani talk", "Latn", "Latn talk"||For example, a Wikisource would need "Page", "Page talk", "Index", "Index talk", "Author", "Author talk".|
|Additional settings||1. Split Min Dong (cdo) translations;
2. Add monolingual language code cdo-hani.
|Anything else that should be set|
I am here to apply for the establishment of the Eastern Min language edition of Wikinews.
The Eastern Min language has 10 million native speakers in the world, distributed across Mainland China, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Argentina and other places. The representative dialect of Eastern Min language is Fuzhou dialect.
Eastern Min has a long written history. The language has two writing systems, Chinese characters and Roman alphabet. There are some works written in this language:
- the scripts of Min opera;
- the Bible ("Séng-gĭng" and "福州土腔聖經"), the Creed, poetries used to praising the God and the Three Character Classic;
- textbooks (such as "Hua hok gi li", a chemistry textbook);
- literary works — Lin Guangtian (林光天) created Colloquial Writings in Foochow "榕腔白話文" and "榕腔白話詩", and Chen Tianchi (陳天尺) created the "閩腔聲律啟蒙".
The history of Eastern Min newspapers is almost at the same time as the Written Vernacular Chinese newspapers. There are some Eastern Min newspapers:
Wikinews Eastern Min is also written in this language. Wikinews Eastern Min was tried to operate for more than half a year. So far, we have produced 173 articles, of which 104 are written in Chinese characters and 69 are written in Roman alphabet (i.e. Foochow Romanized). The news covers a wide range of topics, including politics, economics, society, military, transportation, culture, education, academia, entertainment, sports, weather forecasting, astronomy, technology, disasters, obituaries, and so on.
In addition to the text, Wikinews Eastern Min also values multimedia. This is an era of reading pictures. Pictures can bring a lot of information to readers. Most of the news that has been produced has photos and videos of the news scenes. Wikinews Eastern Min also has a companion Audio Wikinews Project, which is intended to provide convenience for the visually impaired, as well as to record Eastern Min Language. We also make news programs.
So far, we have 10 registered volunteers involved in Wikinews Eastern Min. Many enthusiastic friends also provided photos and videos to Wikinews Eastern Min, but they did not register their own accounts on the Incubator. With the support of everyone, we are able to produce original reports of news events happening in many places of the world. We have 56 original reports up to now (36 are written in Chinese characters and 20 are written in Foochow Romanized). The locations of these events are not limited to Eastern Min, but include Taiwan, Malaysia, and so on.
The volunteers of Wikinews Eastern Min run social media accounts called "閩東維基" ("閩東" means Eastern Min and "維基" means Wiki). The social media platforms include Weibo, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube and Bilibili. Through social media, volunteers promote the content of Eastern Min Wikipedia and Wikinews, and attracted more people to participate in Wikimedia projects.
The volunteer community that drives Wikinews Eastern Min has been actively contributing to this project for over 8 months, and is committed to maintain this project in the long term. - I am Davidzdh. 04:35, 12 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support I am a Fuzhou person. I usually speak Min Dong Chinese. It carries the culture of my hometown. I hope that it can have an independent news website. Through the website, we can use the Internet to spread our mother tongue, to create a tribute tradition and to protect the culture in good faith. This will attract more people to pay attention to Min Dong Chinese. It is very meaningful.—Cyclohexane233 (talk) 05:18, 12 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support Eastern Min (be it Fuzhou dialect or other variants) was a primary language for serious news programmes on radio stations in Fuzhou. Since 1980s, due to governmental efforts to promote Mandarin as the official language in Fuzhou (and throughout China), Eastern Min has been losing its status in formal occasions. Nevertheless, Eastern Min is still being actively spoken by the residents in Fuzhou as well as in diaspora communities worldwide, and many are volunteering to safeguard this treasure language. In terms of language revitalisation, the establishment of an Eastern Min version of Wikinews will be a significant step forward in regaining the domains of usage that have been lost to Mandarin. Given that the volunteer community that drives cdo.wikipedia.org has been working so actively on the sandbox version of Wikinews Min Dong Chinese, I believe it would be fair and meaningful to award and encourage such grassroots efforts by making Eastern Min an official Wikinews language. Ztl8702 (talk) 09:29, 12 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support Eastern Min Language is native to the eastern part of Fujian Province, PRC as well as to Taiwan and some immigrant population in the US. It is mainly spoken by Fuzhou, capital of FJ province, thus possesing predominant influence among local community, though it has to face the challenge of recent language (of so-called dialects) policy carried out by the government, which promoted the Mandarin Chinese as the sole language of whole China. Nevertheless, as the former language used by local media and the spoken language used in family, Eastern Min Language is still attracting notability in several occasions, mainly in those things linked with culture and daily life. So as a former language used in news broadcasting and the indispensible local tongue, it could be beneficial to both the language protecting efforts and local culture promotion work. --Y814756748 (talk) 10:00, 12 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support. My native language in Min Dong Chinese language, which is a language native to people from Eastern Min, namely Fuzhou and Ningde. As a regional language, Min Dong language strictly restricted on Chinese media, because of the Chinese language policy, known as the "promotion of Putonghua". Therefore, having a formal Min Dong Wikinews website is a vital action to let native Min Dong speakers have a place to read news in our own languages. As a result, several months ago, we started the Min Dong Wikinews project on Wikimedia Incubator. The project runs pretty smoothly and includes plenty of pieces of news. However, that is not enough. What we prefer is a formal version of Min Dong Wikinews, in order to attract more visitors and editors to read and write news in Min Dong language. So, please let us start a formal version of Min Dong Wikinews. --Yejianfei (talk) 14:43, 12 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support --夢蝶葬花 （留言 / Leave a message） 10:04, 13 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support I am from Fuzhou(Foochow) and my mother tongue is Min Dong Chinese(I often call it Foochowese). We have 10 million people speak it. Not only in China but also in other parts of the world have Min Dong Chinese native speakers. We hope that we can spread our voices. Now we have cdo Wikipedia and we try our best to do it. So, I am sure that Wikinews Min Dong Chinese will be better. Please agree us start a formal version of Min Dong Wikinews and believe our abilities. Thanks! --Easusq (talk) 3:50, 18 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support Min Dong Chinese is really widely used in my hometown, Fuzhou, and some other cities. Though most of us mainly learn Mandarin in schools, there're still many people using Min Dong Chinese in their daily life. And there're also some people who are really interested in Min Dong Chinese and studying about it, because it is not only a language, but also a large magic box containing our culture. So an independent Min Dong Chinese Wikinews would be really fine. Leono cxevalido (talk) 05:07, 18 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support Min Dong Chinese was the first language of the residents of Fuzhou many years ago. However there is only less residents who speak Min Dong Chinese in their daily life now. Absolutely it is a kind of dying language, so we hope that we can have an independent website to keep it. And the website can leave imformation to the later generations, which will help them to understand this language.--Làng muōi sĭng(talk) 6:02, 18 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support As a native speaker who live in Fuzhou. I deeply love my mother tongue. Min Dong Chinese is a very charming language which has a long history and unique pronunciation. Although there are nearly 10 million users, from the current situation, Min Dong Chinese still needs our protection. By writing and spreading Eastern Min version of Wikinews, we can make more people come into contact with Chinese characters (especially used for Min Dong Chinese) as well as Foochow Romanized. This is really meaningful for language protection. I believe that with the help of volunteers of Eastern Min version of Wikinews, Min Dong Chinese can be spreaded more widely and be protected better. I really hope to see a formal Eastern Min version of Wikinews.叶修齐 (talk) 15:43, 18 August 2018 (UTC)
- Support There is now a vibrant online Fuzhou (Foochow) community that will definitely make this new project a great success. --GnuDoyng (talk) 03:41, 1 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support Well...Actually I'm not a native of Fujian,and just saw this page by accident while I was viewing one of my friends'(User:Cyclohexane233) contributions on Meta.And actually I can't speak Min Dong Chinese (For fluency,cdo-0,absolutely),however,I think their work should be endorsed.I have seen some of their posts on social medias like Weibo and Qzone (a well-known Chinese social media platform like Facebook),and to be honest,their work are brilliant.Not only do them post some local news and dynamics about Fuzhou and Fujian,but also attempt to promote their mother tongue on social medias.And currently,the situation of those dialects in China are quite critical.Even for me,a native of Shanxi,can not speak Jin Chinese,the Chinese dialect in our area very fluently.And in my opinion,it'll be beneficial for the promotion of Min Dong Chinese if this project can be opened successfully.Thanks and regards,--Alneth (talk) 16:51, 1 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support There's nothing to oppose, so why not support? --Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 23:53, 7 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support. —— Eric Liu（Talk） 09:34, 25 June 2021 (UTC)
- "福州方言". 福建省图书馆 (Fujian Provincial Library). 海上丝绸之路福建段专题资源库 (Thematic Resource Library of Maritime Silk Road, Fujian Section). 2017-10-28. Retrieved 2018-08-12.
- 郭晓黎 (2006-03-22). "福州话其实“呀哦” 不少年轻人在学它". 东南快报. 新浪新闻. Retrieved 2018-08-12.
- 赖晨 (2014-08-11). "清代用福州话写诗的举人". 福州市文联 (Fuzhou Federation of Literary and Art Circles). 福州新闻网. Retrieved 2018-08-12.
- 福建省档案馆 (Fujian Provincial Archives) (2010). 老新闻图像：福建晚清民国报纸刊头集萃. Fuzhou: 福建人民出版社 (Fujian People's Publishing House). p. 4.