- The following discussion is closed. Please do not modify it.
This is a proposal for closing and/or deleting a wiki hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation. It is subject to the current closing projects policy.
The proposal is rejected and the project will be kept open.
- Explanation by the closing Langcom member: As activity started, the project will be kept open. --MF-W 11:50, 29 March 2012 (UTC)
- Type: 1 (routine proposal)
- Proposed outcome: Closure
- Proposed action regarding the content: Move to incubator
- Notice on the project: local sitenotice
- Informed Group(s):
This wiki was created in 2003
and it is too small, and as of now it has 257 articles. Almost of all of its edits are related to unflagged bots, vandalism, and countervandalism. This wiki also gets a lot of spam. I have deleted
so many in past and I am sure others did the same. I think there is no point to keep this wiki open as there are no active editors who understand the language. I believe moving this project back to incubator is the best solution for now, therefore I propose this closure. — [ Tanvir | Talk ]
10:03, 25 January 2012 (UTC)
- Here are few more examples of spam deletions carried out by others: by Trijnstel, by Hoo man, by Fr33kman, by Hercule, and by Savh. — [ Tanvir | Talk ] 10:20, 25 January 2012 (UTC)
- I will work in this wiki. Can you keep it?--Midnight Green (talk) 12:38, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
- Yes, I do!--Куниса (talk) 16:25, 2 March 2012 (UTC)
- Only administrators can keep or close proposals.--U.Steele (talk) 19:09, 6 March 2012 (UTC)
Support, evident lack of real activity. Savhñ 11:56, 29 January 2012 (UTC) Retracted vote. Savhñ 20:28, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- Support, move it to the incubator.--Underlying lk (talk) 17:26, 18 February 2012 (UTC)
- Support Move to the incubator Shaun9876 (talk) 18:58, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- It's beautiful... I think you can't vote.--U.Steele (talk) 21:27, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- Please note that this isn't a vote, but a discussion. --MF-W 12:53, 27 February 2012 (UTC)
- Hi, I am a Zulu speaker keen on reviving this wiki. In editing the page on South Africa (iRiphabliki yaseNingizimu Afrika) I found that many of the necessary template pages are missing from this wiki. For example the reflist and info box templates would be a huge help in making these pages look more authentic to a Zulu reader. I am willing to take on the responsibility of updating these articles if the templates can be provided. I'm good at Zulu translation but no good at template construction! — [ User:Oisteadman | User talk:Oisteadman ] 02:15, 9 February 2012 (UTC)
- Hi, I too am a Zulu speaker and have been making many additions to this Wikipedia since last year about many subjects: zoology, astronomy, geography, etc. And I will continue contributing for as long as this Wikipedia exists. If you need an administrator to watch over this wikipedia then I am willing to help in this way or whatever other way I can. ZuluKing 04:30, 12 February 2012 (UTC)
- I am so disappointed that we are even discussing this. I am also a Zulu speaker and a translator. I have contributed to this Wikipedia with two of my friends and I know that I speak for both of them when I say, we need this as a Zulu community and even though we do not have enough people working on this, the amount of article will increase and I too am willing to continue contributing and spreading the word about this Wikipedea. I cannot stress enough on how much this is needed. priny 01:54, 16 February 2012 (UTC)
- Hello everyone, my name is Abel Motha, I am also an active user of the isiZulu Wiki, and a contributor, speaking on behalf of the isiZulu community, please do not close it, this is a treasure of all the Zulu speaking people. As much as the Internet is a a broad thing and tool to use Zulu speakers struggle to find information needed in their languages. Hence when they have the isiZulu wikipedia their lives will become much easier, time after time I do commit myself to give some contributions to this site, in order to keep it alive. It will greatly help many Zulu speaking people if it remains alive. As a language practitioner I can also edit it, and check its content from time to time. Certainly we need this page. I thank you! —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Motha (talk) 17:18, 16 February 2012
- Hi, following my first comment above, I have begun updating a batch of pages - the countries of Europe. Please see my contributions page for evidence that we are competently taking control of this Wiki. I invite any other Zulu contributors and translators to join me on this first batch of articles, I've done about 7 and would love some help. — [ User:Oisteadman | User talk:Oisteadman ] 02:04, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
- Oppose Proposal is against policy: Inactivity is not a valid reason. Seb az86556 (talk) 20:20, 20 February 2012 (UTC)
- Oppose There is activity now (Oisteadman), and getting spam isn't really a reason to close a wiki (although not enough content might be, see Closing projects policy#Types_of_proposals, not sure how much is "insignificant"). This could become a valuable resource for Zulu speakers (is there any other encyclopedia in Zulu?). πr2 (t • c) 22:51, 21 February 2012 (UTC)
- Strongly oppose! It will be active, it's a matter of time. Just give it a chance. Moreover, it's the only encyclopedia in Zulu.--Midnight Green (talk) 12:35, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
- Oppose, no policy-based reason to close. Jafeluv (talk) 12:44, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
- Oppose, per Midnight Green and given high level of interest show above. Babakathy (talk) 13:23, 23 February 2012 (UTC)
- Oppose, no valid reason according to the policy, and rather active these days. Ajraddatz (Talk) 17:31, 23 February 2012 (UTC)
- Of course, I agree that this project wasn't active for a long time, but not now. I'm happy, because we induced some contributors for development of zu-wiki (however, I don't know, how long it will last). I oppose this proposal.--U.Steele (talk) 10:55, 27 February 2012 (UTC)
- I think, it was a good idea to suggest closure; so it is clear to those who can contribute in Zulu that it is vital that they do. On the other hand it should be possible that this wiki gets more technical support from the English section than other wikis as it has a special value for the black people in the RSA. --Cethegus (talk) 22:37, 27 February 2012 (UTC)
- Strongly oppose! This wiki must be saved! Because there is people, who is spoken Zulu! I ask you to give a chance this wiki!--Куниса (talk) 15:13, 29 February 2012 (UTC)
- Firmly oppose!, no valid reason not to give the Zulu speakers a chance! --Jfblanc (talk) 20:59, 3 March 2012 (UTC)
- Oppose. Inactivity is not a valid reason to shut down a project. I agree with the objections drawn out above. Tempodivalse [talk] 17:09, 8 March 2012 (UTC)
- Strongly Oppose please see my user page for many many recent contributions. Myself and others have revived this and we are writing new content daily. This wiki is not inactive. --Oisteadman (talk) 00:50, 22 March 2012 (UTC)
I am a proud contrubuter and I know two more people who would be sad to hear that this was going to be closed. I contribute when ever I can i think that it is very important that this page be saved becasue I know that the articles will increase and the spam will stop. I know that we do not have enough people working on this but the few hand we have will make a difference.
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive. Please do not modify it.