- The following discussion is preserved as an archive of a closed Meta-Wiki request. Please do not modify it.
I hereby kindly request the user rights for translation admin at Meta. As User:Gereon Kalkuhl (WMF) from March to September 2017 I made more than 3,000 translations. I started to translate pages of User Groups into German on Meta. I read the documentation of the tool and the relevant pages for Meta translation. Instead of having to apply to a translation admin every time I would like to mark pages for translation myself. I feel fit enough to do that. Thank you very much in advance, --Gereon K. (talk) 09:16, 13 November 2017 (UTC)
- Question: Could you tag some page (or previously untranslatable part of translatable page) for translation following mw:Help:Extension:Translate/Page translation example and mw:Help:Extension:Translate/Page translation administration and local Meta guidelines so that we see you understand how it works well? --Base (talk) 17:49, 13 November 2017 (UTC)
- All installation attempts of the software failed on my systems, so I retract my request for adminship. Sorry to take your time. --Gereon K. (talk) 18:34, 13 November 2017 (UTC)
- OMG :). I see that you have created User:Gereon K./LocalSettings.php. Are you trying to follow mw:Help:Extension:Translate/Installation? The extension is already installed here (see the actual configuration file for Wikimedia wikis). You will have the ability to actually make pages translatable only when you have the flag requested. But what I want you to do is to follow the two pages I have linked just until marking for translation. Thus to put translate, tvar and other tags correctly on a page you want to make translatable. This is easier to do than to explain, just try to follow the page translation example page. --Base (talk) 18:42, 13 November 2017 (UTC)
- Most help pages asked me to install a software or talked about a software that must be installed. I marked User:Gereon K./Writing Weeks for translation now. --Gereon K. (talk) 11:26, 14 November 2017 (UTC)
- @Gereon K.: the page User:Gereon K./Writing Weeks is not prepared for translation correctly. Please re-read the documentation and ask if you have any doubt. Matiia (talk) 02:19, 23 November 2017 (UTC)
- The help page said "Wrap the whole content inside <translate>...</translate> tags as shown below". This I did. Since this does not seem to be sufficient I wrapped each section now. --Gereon K. (talk) 07:29, 23 November 2017 (UTC)
- You don't need to wrap each section. If you add a new line between each section, it'll have the same effect for translation extension. The content inside translate tags is the text to be translated (the content seen by translators on Special:Translate), so it isn't always the whole page. The page used by you is only text, so in this case, it is okay. Translators see unit translation, so if we put a lot of content together, it would be tedious to translate, that's why we don't like to put too many sections together (it'd have too much text in a single unit). It would nice if you use <tvar></tvar> tags with links. Could you please tag a more complicated page (with templates, categories, etc) for translation? Matiia (talk) 03:13, 24 November 2017 (UTC)
- @Matiia: thank you for the explanations. I trust that WikiAfrica/OpenAfrica15/Programme is complex enough? --Gereon K. (talk) 20:00, 24 November 2017 (UTC)
@Gereon K.: yes, it is. It is not prepared for translation correctly, please see what a translator see when trying to translate it. Matiia (talk) 01:54, 25 November 2017 (UTC)
- @Gereon K.: any progress? it would be nice if you can fix that page. This request can't be open forever. Matiia (talk) 20:40, 1 December 2017 (UTC)
- @Matiia: Thanks for your patience. I'll upload the refurbished in a couple of hours. --Gereon K. (talk) 20:59, 1 December 2017 (UTC)
- It's getting too late her now in UTC+2. I'll finish it tomorrow. --Gereon K. (talk) 22:38, 1 December 2017 (UTC)
Not done. Knowledge about translate extension was never shown and this request can't be open forever. Feel free to open a new request when you understand how the translate extension works and have some time to answer/do what other users ask. Matiia (talk) 01:05, 6 December 2017 (UTC)
- The above request page is preserved as an archive. Please do not modify it. Comments about this page should be made in Meta:Babel or Meta:Requests for help from a sysop or bureaucrat.