Lingua Libre SignIt add-on for Firefox is a demonstrator project which allows you to translate a (French) word into (French) sign language videos on any web page. When you read a text and come across a word you don't know, select that word, click on the SignIt icon: the sign in LSF and the definition of the word in French will appear on a window.
|Lingua Libre SignIt add-on enhances your webpages to learn sign languages.|
|Website||SignIt Firefox Add-on|
|Supported by||Wikimédia France, URFIST Occitanie.|
|WM France||Adélaïde Calais WMFr|
Rémy Gerbet WMFr
|Main||0x010C (creation), Yug (current)|
Lingua Libre SignIt aims to increase awareness and mastery of signed languages among the general public.
We believe signed languages have general benefits for everyone. The general public can easily gain the ability to communicate on longer distances, through glass windows, in overwhelmingly noisy environments. It would be more inclusive for signers, non-verbal toddlers (see baby sign language), and provide an important safety-net against hearing loss which affects nearly all our elders, some adults and children. We believe universal and transgenerational designs helps individuals and society to be more resilient, inclusive, peaceful and efficient.
In 2022 Edit
- SignIt browser extension working well on Firefox, portable to other browsers.
- Translating the user interface of the extension into 30+ major contact languages and Wikimedia languages, including:
- Germanic languages:
German (de: Deutsch)
English (en: English)
Norwegian Bokmål (nb: norsk bokmål)
Swedish (sv: svenska)
- Celtic languages:
Breton (br: brezhoneg)
- Italic languages:
Spanish (es: español)
French (fr: français)
Italian (it: italiano)
Lombard (lmo: lombard)
Portuguese (pt: português)
Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br: português do Brasil)
Sicilian (scn: sicilianu)
- Finno-Ugrian languages:
Finnish (fi: suomi)
- Balto-Slavic languages:
Macedonian (mk: македонски)
Russian (ru: русский)
Slovenian (sl: slovenščina)
Ukrainian (uk: українська)
- Turkic languages:
Kazakh (kk-cyrl: қазақша)
Karachay-Balkar (krc: къарачай-малкъар)
Turkish (tr: Türkçe)
- Indo-Iranian languages:
Angika (anp: अंगिका)
Bangla (bn: বাংলা)
Persian (fa: فارسی)
Hindi (hi: हिन्दी)
Western Punjabi (pnb: پنجابی)
- Semitic languages:
Arabic (ar: العربية)
Hebrew (he: עברית)
- Bantoid languages:
Swahili (sw: Kiswahili)
- Austronesian languages:
Indonesian (id: Bahasa Indonesia)
Tagalog (tl: Tagalog)
- Eastern Asian languages:
Japanese (ja: 日本語)
Korean (ko: 한국어)
Simplified Chinese (zh-hans: 中文（简体）)
Traditional Chinese (zh-hant: 中文（繁體）)
- Auxiliary languages:
Interlingua (ia: interlingua)
In 2023 Edit
- Fix last technical bugs [Help wanted]:
- T312554 – Sign language video recordings appear as audio on Commons.
- T316097 – Firefox: Sign language video recording stuck on first word forever.
- T316104 – RecordWizard always default to audio recording even if user's default language is signed.
- T97539 – UploadStash: Cannot serve a file larger than 1,048,576 bytes.
- French Sign Language demonstrate the viability and speed of video recording via Lingua Libre video recording studio.
- Doing... Call for volunteer contributors, see below.
Most needed skills Edit
- Fluent signer(s), willing share is point of view on this nascent project, video record hours. Our tool will allow native signers to record around 200+ words per hour, adding them to the Wikimedia Commons' database and SignIt. A decent dictionary >3000 words can be built in just 10 hours. Those activists are the most valuable resource.
- Web and JS developers, willing to code, discuss, improve the extension.
- Language or country-specific project manager, willing to set up and organize with sign language activists some low cost video recording sessions.
Project phases and stakeholders Edit
- Phase 0 (pre-launch, by the initial team):
- We create a rapid video recording system.
- We create a demonstrator with LSF.
- We insure recording chain's integrity.
- (ongoing) We raise project awareness.
- (ongoing) We demonstrate community's interest.
- (starting) We plan outreach to the general public.
- Phase 1 (production): The deaf community leads content creation via Lingua Libre's video recorder.
- Phase 2 (consumption): The general public consumes contents, increase awareness, learn sign languages basics via extension, wiktionaries and others.
- Phase 3 (benefits): The whole community harvest fruits, with a more bilingual and deaf-inclusive societies.
The word “poisson” (fish) in French Sign language.
See also Edit
Current logos Edit
logo with text
For end users Edit
- Lingua Libre SignIt for Firefox — a browser extension to click words in browser and show sign language videos generated via Lingualibre.
For content creators Edit
- Minimal Sign Language Studio guidelines
- Lingualibre.org audio and video recording studio — online tool to record words, once you specify a sign language, you can record videos of signed word at 400 per hour. They will be automatically available to SignIt.
Development and internationalization Edit
Periodic reports Edit
- "Translating:Lingua Libre SignIt - translatewiki.net". translatewiki.net. Retrieved 2022-09-16.