Hablon User Group
This page is kept for historical interest. It documents a non-recognized group whose application for recognition was not approved, or has not applied for recognition.
To find the list of active Wikimedia affiliates, visit the Affiliates Portal.
Group of community volunteers
Despite the Affiliation Committee's decision to decline our application for recognition as an affiliate, we still continue to be an active community of Wikimedians.
Recognition as an affiliate is actually NOT required for volunteer groups to do certain activities that promote and improve Wikipedia and its sister projects. It is "an optional extra step with connected benefits" such as to avail certain grants and to unlock more diverse project opportunities.We started this page not because it is a requirement for application but to document our commitment to free knowledge through Wikimedia projects so we are keeping this meta page for continuity of our history.
Hablon User Group of Wikimedians in the Philippines or simply Hablon User Group (HUG) is a community of Filipino Wikimedians dedicated to promote free knowledge by improving Wikimedia projects through various activities such as, but not limited to, fora, learning sessions and edit-a-thons. It is based in Manila and Tacloban City in the Philippines.
Hablon is a Bisaya word which means either "weaver" or "something woven". Bisaya is the second among the languages in the Philippines that most Filipinos speak. Filipinos, especially indigenous Filipinos, are weavers.  As Filipino weavers use fibers and threads to illustrate the culture of the Philippines in their textiles, HUG strives to interlace small bits of information to form knowledge and to make these knowledge accessible to everyone through Wikimedia projects.
The three Wikimedians who spearhead Hablon User Group (HUG) are members of the Wikimedia Philippines (WMPH) when it was still recognized as a Wikimedia Chapter in the Philippines. As members, while the two of them have been part of the Open Web Day project of the Wikimedia Philippines and the Mozilla Philippines and the other one has been coordinating fora and edit-a-thons under an independent Wikimedia community recognized by the Wikimedia Philippines which is the Sinirangan Bisaya Wikimedia Community (SBWC), they collaborated on most of activities of SBWC particularly the 1st and 2nd Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thons.
Despite the derecognition of WMPH in 2017, the three Wikimedians continue to participate and conduct fora, learning sessions and edit-a-thons either with SBWC or with other similar organizations.
Who we areEdit
To be more effective in promoting free knowledge by reaching out to other organizations and institutions to be partners, the three Wikimedians decided to form the Hablon User Group of Wikimedians in the Philippines or simply the Hablon User Group.
The Hablon User Group is not an affiliate of the Wikimedia Foundation but is a community of volunteers for the Wikimedia movement.
The purpose of Hablon User Group is to promote free knowledge by improving Wikimedia projects through activities and projects in partnership with like-minded individuals, organizations, institutions, the Wikimedia Foundation and other Wikimedia communities.
Specifically, this group aims to:
- Inform the public about the Wikimedia movement and its projects by participating and conducting meet-ups, fora, conferences and other activities;
- Encourage individuals, organizations, educational institutions and government units to contribute to Wikimedia projects by reaching out to them through meet-ups, fora, conferences, learning sessions and other activities;
- Improve Wikimedia projects by adding content and editing existing information by conducting learning sessions, edit-a-thons and other activities;
- Support the Wikimedia Foundation by promoting and participating in its projects, activities and other undertakings;
- Reach out to other Wikimedia communities by supporting, promoting and participating in their projects and activities as well as collaborating with them by exchanging ideas and good practices.
What we doEdit
The activities in which these Wikimedians participated in, organized and conducted are as follows:
- a.^ UPVTC = University of the Philippines Visayas Tacloban College;
- b.^ SBWC = Sinirangan Bisaya Wikimedia Community;
- c.^ WMPH = Wikimedia Philippines;
- d.^ PHILACI = Philippine Association of Court Interpreters;
- e.^ AGIO = Association of Government Information Officers of Eastern Visayas Region;
- f.^ CPU = Computer Professionals' Union;
- g.^ MAWF = Maharlika Artists and Writers Federation;
- h.^ NPC-Tac = National Press Club - Tacloban;
- i.^ JCI = Junior Chamber International, Philippines;
- j.^ PSHS-EV = Philippine Science High School Eastern Visayas Campus;
- k.^ PhilWiki Community = Philippine Wikimedia Community User Group;
- l.^ Conference reports of HUG representatives can be read here and here
- m.^ WMF = Wikimedia Foundation
- n.^ Report on conference participation can be read here
- o.^ Organized by 170+Talaytayan MLE and endorsed by UNESCO Bangkok
- p.^ Organized and sponsored by Wikimedia Indonesia and Wikimedia Foundation and held in Bali, Indonesia in 2018
- q.^ Organized by and held at the Agusan del Sur State College of Agriculture and Technology;
- r.^ The Aboriginal Education World is a bimonthly periodical of the Center for Aboriginal Languages, Cultures and eDucation, Center for Aboriginal Studies, National Chengchi University in Taipei City in Taiwan
Interested in joiningEdit
Please indicate below if you are interested in joining us. For questions or anything that you wish to discuss about the user group, please post it at the talk page.
- Nepomocen, Jezza (2018-07-12). "Innovation can save hablon industry in Iloilo". Iloilo Metropolitan Times. - Meaning of hablon in Hiligaynon language.
- Binisaya.com - Meaning of hablon in Cebuano language.
- diksyonaryowaray.blogspot.com - Meaning of hablon in Waray language.
- Albert, Jose Ramon G. (2013-08-30). "Many Voices, One Nation: The Philippine Languages and Dialects in Figures". Philippine Statistics Authority. Archived from the original on 2018-08-13.
- "Weaving the Philippines Local textures and fabrics". The Manila Times. 2014-07-02.
- Nazareno, Eileen (2015-08-05). "A Virtual Pool of Free Knowledge on Eastern Visayas". The Freeman. Archived from the original on 2015-08-05 – via The Philippine Star. - (A news article about the 2nd Waray Wikipedia Edit-a-thon.)
- Nazareno-Ballesteros, Eileen (2015-12-01). "Regional assembly of court interpreters: Leyte governor, Palo mayor outline need for human resources improvement". The Freeman. Archived from the original on 2015-12-12 – via The Philippine Star. - (A news article about the regional assembly of PHILACI and the participation of Wikimedia and SBWC at their event.)