Grants talk:PEG/WM ZA/Joburgpedia 2015/Report
Report Submission Extension Request.Edit
Although I have already started our report writing but we still are waiting for supporting documents from participating partners to make a satisfying, adequate and storytelling report. I'm already late on our report submission and I do understand the seriousness and repercussion of late report submission but I'm writing in request to extend the submission of our Joburgpedia 2015 Report to this Saturday the 14 November 2015 if you will permit us to do so. Bobbyshabangu (talk) 20:52, 11 November 2015 (UTC)
Congratulations on the completion of your collaboration with Conhill Edu - it is exciting that you were able to work with 31 new editors who created 6 articles, and that 2 participants are still editing! Below are some of the points
- We are glad to hear you were able to host additional events to fit the schedules of all teams - you might consider only hosting training events for teachers/mentors so that it is easier to schedule.
- You note that training volunteer mentors wasn’t as effective as you had hoped, because after two training sessions they were not experienced enough to answer student questions. We are glad that you were able to support both mentors and students. In your next proposal, it will be important to explain how you will change your approach to mentorship to ensure that students are able to get the support they need. You might consider asking people who participated last year to help support the program in the future.
- It is great to hear that working with Conhill Edu was good for introductions/access to schools and that they were able to support you with staff time and funding. This kind of in-kind donation is so valuable to our movement!
- You learned that many participants do not have laptops or internet so likely not editing outside of contest - in our discussion today you mentioned that in the future you will focus primarily on training teachers and university students, as they are more likely to have the skills and access to resources necessary to edit after the program has ended. Working with an organization that can provide access to internet, computers and reference materials on the weekend may help younger students participate.
- In the budget table you show that you spent $2,086.79 of the $3,373.67 in PEG funds you received from WMF - you should have $1,286.88 left from the grant. Is there something missing from the budget table?
Thank you for all of your hard work on this project, and for discussing your results and future plans with us today. We look forward to seeing how you incorporate the lessons you have learned and the ideas we discussed into your new plan. --KHarold (WMF) (talk) 01:22, 6 April 2016 (UTC)
- Noting that WMZA is currently going through a third-party accounting review to resolve some outstanding discrepancies. No funds will be returned to WMF at this time. Alex Wang (WMF) (talk) 19:12, 26 April 2016 (UTC)