Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. Briefly explain what you are trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- To recruit 60 new Wikibrarian editors for WikiGLAM related activities on Wikipedia and its sister’s projects.
- To create awareness among Librarians in Lagos on the relevance and impacts of WikiGLAM projects in libraries.
- To promote the use of Wikipedia and its sisters' project among Librarians in Lagos.
The changes in the grant has made it possible to broaden the training in order to accomodate more participants in one project.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings? We are doing one edithathon, Four physical training and Six online training sessions. The online session is important to help participants so that they are not blocked while working on articles and the four physical trainings broken into two batches because of the number of people to be trained, will help to accommodate more librarians in Lagos State to participate in the training.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
A notification has been sent to the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- WhatsApp groups, Facebook, Instagram
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- • A familiarization discussion was held with the Association for Women Librarians in Nigeria(AWLIN) and the Nigerian Library Association (NLA), Lagos state Chapter respectively
• As a means of creating more awareness, social media platforms will be engaged to increase participation through paid promotions to reach more Librarians in Lagos State.
• This project will be shared with University Librarians and Heads of Library department in academic libraries in Lagos State.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
- User:Odomero2711(Project Lead) I am an experienced wikibrarian, Library administrator and Head of Library Department.She has participated in several wiki projects.
- User:Bukky658(facilitator): she is an experienced wikibrarian, Librarian in training, and a fellow of the WikiAFlib Cohort 1. She has participated in series of online contests such as WPWP, WikiSDGs, WikiLoveAfrica, Wiki Activate, WikiSanta, WikiExpedition, etc.she is an experienced wikibrarian, Librarian in training, and a fellow of the WikiAFlib Cohort
- User:James Rhoda - Communication and event planner; experienced Wikimedian, member of Unilorin Wikimedia Fan club , Winner of WikiLoveSDGs and Wikidata for Media personality in Nigeria.
- User:Johnjoy12 - Co-Facilitator; experienced Wikimedian and President of Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ibadan. He has organized series of events which include WLA2021, WPWP, Photowalks and numbers of meetups.
- User:semmy1960 - Co-Facilitator, experienced Wikimedian and a Cohort of the 2022 Reading Wikipedia in classroom, Organiser of the Wikibloggers at the Lagos State University, the organiser of the WikiLagos project. She has participated in many online Wikiprojects.
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants are expected to bring their mobile phones and or Laptops computers, if not available, we support the participant with additional Laptops, along with the Data support for internet connection.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Through engagements by creating a WhatsApp group and holding Zoom meetings for online mentoring and follow-up activities with the participants.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- AFLIA has trained many Librarians but most librarians in Lagos state who were not privileged to join the online campaign still find it very hard to understand the WikiGlam concepts and how to adopt them in promoting open access to information online. This in turn will help the Librarians to bridge the knowledge gap and improve their content creation skills. We will expand the project so that more Librarians can benefit from the training
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events = 4
- Number of participants = 80
- Number of new editors =60
- Number of of articles created or improved =200
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)=20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Yaba College of Technology will be providing us with alternate power supply and their laptops in case the Librarians don't have Laptops to use
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Library Space: NGN 120,000.00 X 4days = NGN 480,000
- Food, drinks and snacks: NGN3,500.00 X 60 for 4days= NGN 840,000
- Internet support for the participants during the 4 weeks online session for participants including all Editors = 180,000
- Banner, design and flyers and poster=NGN 50,000
- Projector = 25,000x 4= NGN 100,000
- Camera for four days=NGN 80,000
- Branded T-shirts and souvenirs for participants and contigency=NGN 200,0000
- Transportation for 3 other facilitators within Lagos = NGN 22,000 x3 = 66,000
- Total= NGN 1,996,000 (USD 4,802.50)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support This project will create awareness about Wikipedia and her sister projects in Lagos Nigeria James Rhoda (talk) 20:56, 11 April 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support Lagos is one of the largest City in Nigeria with a great population of Library users to meet their information need. I believe this project will affford Librarians in Lagos State with the necessary skills on how to promote free knowledge and increase access to information online using Wikipedia and its Sisters project.Bukky658 (talk) 19:58, 12 April 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support This project will create awareness about Wikipedia and wikidata amongst Librarians in Lagos, and also equip them with the necessary skills to contribute to Wikipedia and create more items mijesty (talk)
- Strong support This project will not only create awareness about Wikipedia to librarians only but to Lagos State at large. Ogundele1 (talk) 10:55, 26 April 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support Edriiic (talk) 04:37, 4 May 2022 (UTC)