Grants:Project/Rapid/Vishwanatha Badikana/Kannada Wikipedia Education Program Conference and Training
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Knowledge sharing among WEP stakeholders and to the newcomers
- Train new editors from the faculties where WEP is not going now, but want to start
- Create awareness and make them to know the benefits of WEP among faculties and students
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- There will be a conference followed by a training program. Wikipedia in Education Program (WEP) using Kannada Wikipedia as pedagogy platform is going in Karnataka since 2013. The colleges and institutions where these programs ae going on are Christ University Bengaluru, St Aloysius College Mangaluru, S D M College Ujire and Alvas College Moodabidire. Wikipedia Students Association (WSA) is functioning at Alvas College Moodabidire. Many other colleges and educational institutions have shown interest in starting WEP and WSA activities at their places. A two-day program is planned which involves a knowledge sharing conference followed by a training workshop. First day will be the conference in which faculty and students from the institutions wherein WEP and WSA are currently going on will present papers and share their learnings. Faculties participating from other colleges and institutions where no WEP or WSA is going on now, but are interested in starting at their places will be observers for this conference. Many faculties and students from colleges from nearby places also will be attending the conference on first day to get an understating of WEP. Second day will be a training workshop involving the faculties from other institutions wo are interested in starting WEP and WSA at their institutions.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Faculties and students from colleges and institutions will be informed by-
- Sending mails to colleges and institutions
- Phone calls
- Kannada Wikipedia community who is interested in volunteering will be informed by-
- Event page
- Village pump
- Mailing lists
- Social media like Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter and local news papers
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- At the end of the project, faculties from the colleges and institutions where WEP & WSA are going currently, will be benefited by the sharing of knowledge by peers. What went well, what did not go well, what are the lessons learnt at each institute will be shared among others. The faculties will be better informed with this knowledge in fine tuning and improving the programs at their institutions in the coming academic years. We are also planning to create a draft handbook on Kannada WEP which might help those who wants to start WEP at their places.
- The participants will be kept in touch after event though email, social media like Facebook and Whatsapp groups, created especially for this purpose. Series of editathons are planned in the next academic year starting in July 2019 in those colleges and institutions where WEP and WSA programs are planned to start afresh. The faculties from these institutions who are participants in this program will be leading the editathons there. A fresh grant application is planned for this activity in the second half of next year.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants – 100
- Number of faculties as delegates where WEP & WSA are going on now - 4
- Number of students as delegates where WEP & WSA are going on now - 8
- Number of faculties from institutions where WEP is not going on now, but interested in starting - 40
- Number of students as pariticipent of the Conference where WEP is not going on now, but interested in Participation - 48
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Karavali Wikimedians User Group (KWUG) is collaborating with 3 of the 4 institutions where WEP and WSA are going on now, mentioned above. This program is designed and run mainly by the members of KWUG. The grantee is one of the founding members of KWUG. He will be supported by other active members of KWUG. St Aloysius College, Mangaluru, where WEP is currently going on and the grantee is working as Professor Kannada, will be a major sponsor of this program. They will be providing the auditorium and the PC lab to conduct the training.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Our financial grant needs are tabulated below-
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost INR||Notes|
|1||Resource Person||Transportation||2 people 1 locations (Bangalore)||2||3,000||6,000||Transportation for 2 people to 1 locations(Estimating 2 Resource Person from outsiders with 3,000 as TA)|
|2||Delegates||Transportation||9 people 4 locations||9||3,000||27,000||Transportation for 9 people to 4 locations(Bangalore 3, Tumakur2, Belgaum 2, Shivamogga 2)(Estimating 9 outsiders with 3,000 as TA)|
|3||Participants for Local College(Each College One Professor and One Student)||Transportation||20 people 9 locations||20||500||10,000||Transportation for 20 people to 9 locations(Kasargod 2, Ujire 2, Moodabidre 4, Suratkal 2, Bantwal 2, Sullia 2, Vittal 2, Vamadapadvu 2, Punjalkatte 2, Puttur 2)(Estimating 20 outsiders with 500 as TA)|
|4||Training day||Accommodation||Per person||11||2,000||22,000||Accomodation for out station participants|
|5||Conference day||Accommodation||Per person||4||2,000||8,000||Accomodation for local participants(Ujire, Sullia) Accomodation for out station participants|
|6||Conference day||Food||per person||100||300||30,000||Food for all participants|
|7||Training day||Food||per person||40||300||12,000||Food for all participants|
|8||Banners, Pamphlets, Handouts, Photos etc.,||Miscellaneous costs||Pre-event||5,000||5,000||Miscellaneous costs|
|9a||SWAGs||SWAGs (50 T-Shirts)||per person||50||350||17,500||SWAG|
|9b||SWAGs||SWAGs (100 Pen, 100 Files, 100 Sticker)||per person||100||25||2,500||SWAG|
- Total Cost of the program - INR 1,40,000/$1946.47 USD
- Support This is a very good initiative. Activities like this need encouragement and support. I fully endorse this.--Pavanaja (talk) 01:53, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support this is very good project--Lokesha kunchadka (talk) 04:41, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support very useful and much needed project. I strongly support this initiative.--P#ranavs17
- Strong support This initiative will bring more people into Kannada Wiki. I strongly support. ramgun54
- Yes, Ramesam54 (talk) 09:38, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support very useful project. I strongly support this activity and this initiative is needed for Kannaada Wikipedia .--Ashoka KG
- Support A very impressive practically much needed project to create awareness and to share knowledge among WEP stakeholders and to the newcomers. --Ashay vb
- Strong support I strongly support this project. It's very useful and much needed Project.-Vinoda mamatharai (talk) 12:58, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- This is very useful to society. I support this initiative. Vidyu44 (talk) 14:18, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly support this programme done by my folks. This will be a very good programme to help people gain their knowledge--Anvith VB (talk) 17:02, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support Educating college lecturers and involving the institutions are very creative idea. I endorse this project --Kishorekumarrai (talk) 17:36, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support Impressive project, involving institutions and their lecturers in project sounds great. I fully endorse this--BHARATHESHA ALASANDEMAJALU (talk) 17:42, 15 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support good project. Benet G.Amanna
- Support --Rahmanuddin (talk) 06:50, 16 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support very useful project. -J. Ansari Talk 07:21, 16 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support-- An useful project.Ravi Mundkur (talk) 08:41, 16 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support It is very good project. This will really make a positive impact on the participants and the Kannada Wikipedia. These kind of programmes are must. I strongly support this program.Dhanalakshmi .K. T (talk) 12:50, 16 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support Much needed project. --Krishnakulkarni36 (talk) 16:05, 16 December 2018 (UTC)
- Strong support Vchetans (talk) 07:42, 17 December 2018 (UTC)
- SupportProject Goal is well planned. Knowledge sharing and awareness programme through conference and to start WEP traning for faculty and students is a must. I strongly support this project. Kavitha G. Kana (talk) 07:04, 20 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support I strongly support this project. --Shruthi Amin K (talk) 06:36, 18 December 2018 (UTC)
- Support--Vikas Hegde (talk) 06:56, 19 December
- Support-- an usefull project which helpfull Preetham Kundar (talk) 07:41, 19 December 2018 (UTC)support
- Support -- WEP at 1. SDM Ujire 2. St Aloysius Mangalore 3. Dr Alva's Mudabidre 4. Christ's Bangalore Very good initiative. Wishing success to this effort. my inputs on Let the community know about Project -- 1.Create a Twitter HashTag, Tweet with CIS-A2K & other related Twitter Accounts. It would help in snowballing the message & event 2. Sending targetted emails to individual Wikimedia Lists (mentioned generally as Mailing Lists in Grant Reqest) 3. It would help, having students in particular stream work on related subjects. Egː Commerce Students will write better on topics on Commerce,... WEP Effort would be mutually beneficial Mallikarjunasj (talk) 08:29, 19 December 2018 (UTC)