Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LK/Wiki Loves Earth 2020 in Sri Lanka
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Obtain very high-quality photographs of the flora, fauna, and landscapes of Sri Lanka
- Spread awareness of the local Wikimedia affiliate
- Encourage new organic contributors to Commons, as well as Sinhala, English, and Tamil Wikipedias
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- This contest will be the local segment of the global Wiki Loves Earth 2020 photo contest. As elaborated in the link, the contest will focus on natural heritage, scenic landscape, as well as the flora and fauna of Sri Lanka.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- The primary mode of publicity for this contest with be the CentralNotice banners and paid Facebook ads.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- We have an open call for volunteers to join as part of the jury. The photos will be assessed through the WLX jury tool; to be decided. Awards will be issued via courier or registered post.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- As a guide, we will create a list of landmarks/topics that require quality images. This will not be a hard criteria, but it will act as an indicator on the nature of content we are looking for.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Highlights of all our previous projects can be found in our Annual Reports of 2017, 2018, and 2019. The WLE2019 report can be found here.
- As a trial to improve efficiency, be greener, and reduce costs, we have decided not to award any physical prizes (i.e. merchandise), and only limit prizes to vouchers. We will also not host an "award ceremony"; the prizes will be posted/couriered to the addresses, as last time.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of new users: 100+
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1,000+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects 50+
- At least 20 natural sites are photographed
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The project will be organised by members of Wikimedia Community User Group Sri Lanka, led by User:Rehman. The project will be carried out by funds from this grant. Rehman is also willing to act as a funder should the project grant remittance take time for whatever reason (subject to Grants team approval).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Subject||Description||Units||Cost (LKR/රු) ||Cost (USD/$) |
|Prize - 1st||Voucher||1||50,000||272.50|
|Prize - 2nd||Voucher||1||40,000||218.00|
|Prize - 3rd||Voucher||1||35,000||190.75|
|Prize - Most uploads||Voucher||1||15,000||81.75|
|Prize - Best flora closeup||Voucher||1||15,000||81.75|
|Prize - Best fauna closeup||Voucher||1||15,000||81.75|
|Prize - Best protected landscape||Voucher||1||15,000||81.75|
|Advertising||Facebook ads||Rs. 2,500 × 8 weeks||20,000||114.60|
|Organising logistics||Certificate printing, voucher collection, etc||-||10,000||54.50|
|Courier||Distributing certificates/vouchers||Rs. 1,500 × 12||18,000||98.10|
|Certificate printing||7 winners, 5 organisers||Rs. 500 × 12||6,000||32.70|
|Incidentals (10% of total) - Bank charges, difference in actual prices, forex fluctuations, etc||23,900||130.26|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!