Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- English Wikipedia is widely known in Ghana, however just a few people know about the existence of Wikipedia in other languages and for that matter Twi Wikipedia. In view of this existing problem we seek to change this narrative by contributing to improve and document this indigenous language online. We want to enhance our presence in our communities through various projects and recruit new editors as well as engage our already existing editors. We believe this project will not only create awareness and increase content and readership, it will also help improve the skills of the new and existing volunteers in the community, particularly students of the University of Winneba and Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology.
Finally, we intend to use this workshop as an opportunity to create twi wiki clubs in these institutions to ensure sustainability.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- We will be organizing a two-day Twi Wikipedia and Wikicommons training workshop for both Winneba students at Winneba and also KNUST to equip the community with the skills they will need to be able to participate in the 3 weeks long translation work. We will train 25 participants, 10 participants at Winneba and 15 participants at KNUST.
After the workshop a competition will be held for participants to translate english wikipedia articles to Twi Wikipedia and also record audios to Wikicommons over a period of 3 weeks.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Global Open Initiative social media spaces
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- We would have translated or created about 275 articles of Ghanaian constituencies on Twi Wikipedia, and 20 political terms. Audios for these articles will also be uploaded on Wikicommons. In all, we would have translated 295 articles and uploaded 295 audio files on commons.
Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- There will be a two days workshop at Winneba and also KNUST. Day 1 will be for Twi Wikipedia training and Day 2 will be for Wikicommons training , at Winneba, 10 participants will be in a room and 15 participants will be in a room at KNUST. The project will last for a month. Our just ended project we worked on enabled us to recruit new editors. We believe this project will enable these new editors to improve on their skills through English to Twi translations.
Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
The remaining funds from the funds Global Open Initiative/Twi Wiki Translat-a-thon II will be used as part of the funds for this grant, if the grant proposal is accepted.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 25
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable): 295
- Number of words recorded and uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable):295
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): N/A
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The project will focus on translating the articles of 275 Ghanaian constituencies and 20 political terms. In all, we will be translating 295 articles
- Amoaniwaa- Apart from jury work, Amoaniwaa will be in charge of all design work(registration form, flyers and souvenirs) to promote the competition
- Warmglow- will be in charge of wikicommons training, logistics, email and calls
- Valentine- Facilitate Twi Wikipedia training, Twi Professional
- Naa2Darkoa- Compile marks and facilitate training
- Jemima2019- Compile list of articles, review jury work, build pages, other maintenance, Twi Professional.
Other Support (Provide general support to jury and facilitate trainings)
- Kindivia- Provide general support to jury and facilitate trainings.
- Mwintirew- Provide general support to communications and facilitate trainings
The prizes listed in this table are the equivalent in shopping gift cards we shall award.
Project Prize Category Ghc
|Twi Wikipedia||Highest edit count
Second highest edit count
|Wikimedia Commons||highest edit count
Second highest edit count
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|Transportation Allowance for Team members||We will organize two physical workshops each (Twi Wikipedia Training and Wikicommons training)||200||5||1000|
|Data allowance(contest participants)||We estimate for25 people to Participate in the month-long contest||80||25||2000|
|Surfline Internet for jurors and mentors||Data allowance For 3 jurors and 5 mentors who will build contest pages, correct mistakes, review and mark entries,||350||5||1,750|
|Projector||We will rent a projector for the the workshops||1000||1||1000|
(A place for the workshops)
|We will rent a place for the workshops||400||4||1600|
|Refreshment||Refreshment for the workshops||40||25||1000|
|Airtime and data allowance for prep meetings, for calls and emails to participants||200||5||1000|
|Prizes||Outlined in the above table||n/a||n/a||1000|
|Wiki souvenirs & certificate||Including flyers and certificate||n/a||n/a||600|
|Bank charges||Transfers and Reimbursement charges||n/a||n/a||200|
|Transportation||Purchase and mailings of shopping vouchers, purchase and delivery of souvenirs||n/a||n/a||200|
Please let's all help endorse this project grant.
- Strong support I support this project because it will help recruit more editors and also create more content on Twi Wikipedia.Jemima2019 (talk) 10:17, 30 September 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support This project will engage current Twi editors as well as new editors. And Increase articles in this indigenous language online.Warmglow (talk) 10:37, 30 September 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I endorse this project because it will help increase contributions in twi wikipedia and make it more lively and lovely. Joana Aboagyewaa (talk)
- Strong support I support this project because it will help both current and new editors know more about editing and translating on Twi Wikipedia and also be able to contribute to Wikimedia Commons. S A Habadah (talk) 14:39, 30 September 2021 (UTC)S A Habadah (talk) 14:38, 30 September 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongely support this project because, it will help recruit new editors and help them in their translation.AC Krah (talk) 18:42, 1 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I fully support this project.Lydiadj (talk) 21:12, 1 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I support this project because it will help increase content on Twi Wikipedia.Mbaidoo (talk) 22:54, 1 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support It helps the language to be maintained and also it's easier for people to do research in our local language.Charity00 (talk) 19:53, 2 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly support this project because,it will make researching Twi items online very easy and also help promote the Twi language worldwide.Rsaawah (talk) 21:38, 2 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support This project is very important because it’s going to help the community to train new members with the required skills and knowledge to impact new generation.Opoku Akaadom Sympathy (talk) 09:18, 4 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support .I strongly and fully support this project, it will help protect and preserve our Akan languages and it will also help researchers when it comes to research in the Akan language on the internet. Valentine Badu (talk) 09:44, 4 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly support this project.Rosy86 (talk) 15:12, 4 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I fully support this project Ella stonza (talk) 06:33, 5 October 2021 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly agree because it will help gain more and new editors and also create job opportunities for all to get something to feed home. Akosua Yeboah Richlove (talk) 21:42, 5 October 2021 (UTC)