Grants:Project/Rapid/Tulu Wikipedia Anniversary Program and editathon at Sri Ramakrishna Pre-University College Mangaluru
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Socialize with community members
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Enhance awareness about Tulu Wikipedia among general public
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Active editors from our user group want to have a monthly meetup for a variety of reasons. Each month the meetup will have a particular focus that will be determined on our mailing list and social media discussion platform. Some of the topics we will focus on will be, planning projects for the coming year, doing a workshop on how to use Wikidata or other projects, or taking a tour of a museum or monument and maybe doing a training on conflict management. We also want to host the monthly meetups so that our community has a chance to socialize offline. We find that meeting offline for social events helps us collaborate better on Wiki projects.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We will inform the community by multiple ways-
- Event page in Karavali Wikimedians User Group, Tulu Wikipedia and Kannada Wikipedia
- Social media - Twitter, Facebook and Whatsapp groups
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will use mailing list and social media to followup with the participants after the event. We have been doing this regularly after every event and have got remarkable results by doing so.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Since there are just about 2 weeks for the event, WMF may need more time to transfer the money to India. Also many WMF staff are busy in Wikimania 2017. Hence just a line of confirmation or approval of the request will be highly appreciated. We can spend now and claim reimbursements since there is not much time now. But an approval is a must to do that.
Our user group has been organizing meetings and events for the last year. However, with better planning and more resources, we hope to provide regular training, editing, and social activities to support our growing communities. Regular events will help build a sense of community and meet the needs of our more experienced editors.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 12 (throughout the year. We will apply for Simple Annual Grant separately)
- Number of participants - 25
- Number of people who will help organize meetings: 5
- Number of new editors - 15
- Number of of articles created or improved - 20
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) - 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We currently have 4 Wikimedians who are very active in organizing off-wiki activities and planning the agenda for the meetups. We would like to to recruit at least 1-2 more Wikimedians to help spread the work around.
- --Pavanaja (talk) - he will lead and guide the editathon and stage program
- --Vishwanatha Badikana (talk) - will help the new editors and guide them and also with logistics
- --Kishorekumarrai (ಚರ್ಚೆ) - will help in logistics
- --Dhanalakshmi .K. T (talk) - will guide the new editors with Wiki markup.
We regularly get support from the management of Shri Ramakrishna P.U. College, Mangaluru, for our activities. They provide the venue for stage program as well as computer lab with Internet connection for editathons.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Here is the detailed budget for the program-
|Item Details||Nos||Cost (in )||Description|
|Accommodation||4||18,000||4 Persons 2 days accommodation|
|Transport||1000 * 8||8,000||4 persons travel|
|Local Transport & Food||750 * 8||6,000||Local Travel & Food for 4 persons for 2 days|
|Food||25||15,000||Lunch and Snacks for Participants per head 300 per day|
|High Tea(Snacks)||100||10,000||for participants for anniversary program|
|Banners||4||2,400||per banner 600|
|T-Shirts||100||20,000||per T-Shirt 200, All Participants|
|Certificate||100||1,000||per Certificate 10, mainly for students and teaching faculty|
|Stickers||10||600||per sticker Sheet 60|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Karavali Wikimedians are working well for Tulu Wikipedia as well as Kannada Wikipedia. They have conducted many successful events so far. I endorse this grant. --GOPALAKRISHNA (TALK) 06:48, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- Support Regards, ManasaRao (talk — mail)
- Support Karavali Wikimedians are doing good work to improve Kannada, Tulu and Konkani Wikipedias and organized many events successfully. They even support WikiWomen/Mangaluru. I endorse this grant. --Dhanalakshmi .K. T (talk) 12:18, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- Support Tulu is a Dravidian language. Tulu is one of the Pancha Dravidian language. About 30 lakh people speak Tulu. Tulu Wikipedia was live on August 6. 2016 as India's 23rd language. Since it was made live Karavali Wikimedians Mangalore User Group have conducted Several workshops and editathons. Tulu language is not get administrative status, but it is a pleasure to have academy status in the state of Karnataka, India. Tulu language is taught at Mangalore University as an optional language paper. 22 languages in India are recognized by the Constitution. Tulu is eligible to join the eighth schedule. The Wikimedia Foundation is proud to assist more work in this language. Congratulations to all the Karavali Wikimedians Mangalore User Group who have lead this group. I endorse to this grant.--Vishwanatha Badikana (talk) 13:22, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- Support Patronage required for this energetic Tulu community. They are going to implement creative ideas like Wiki library in Mangaluru(Coastal City Of Karnataka, India). Thumbs up --BHARATHESHA ALASANDEMAJALU (talk) 16:38, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- Support Karavali Wikimedians Mangalore have conducted Several workshop in Tulu Wikipedia, costal karnataka. If must usefull grant in karavali wikimedians. --Lokesha kunchadka (talk) 16:55, 10 August 2017 (UTC)
- Support Good initiative to enhance the community relations. Regards, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talk — mail) 13:29, 11 August 2017 (UTC)
- Support Tulu Wikimedians have displayed the same kind of enthusiasm that was visible a year ago when the project was made live. This event is extremely important to rejuvenate the community members and for them to take pride in the amazing project that they have built. I strongly support the event and the grant request. Lahariyaniyathi (talk) 06:27, 12 August 2017 (UTC)
- Support This event helps in energiging Tulu Wikipedia Community more. --Pavan santhosh.s (talk) 06:54, 15 August 2017 (UTC)