This Wikimedia Foundation grant has a fiscal sponsor. Wikimedia Canada administered the grant on behalf of the grantee.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals, as needed.
- Establish an equipment loaning program for contributors in the Ottawa-Gatineau area.
- Provide the means to produce high-quality pictures of the monuments, buildings, parks and events in the National Capital Region.
- Engage with photography groups at both the University of Ottawa and Carleton University and educate them on how to contribute to Commons
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content gaps will you be filling with the equipment?
There are quite a few articles lacking pictures altogether or where a limited range of low/mid-quality coverage is available. The National Capital Region is also host to several ceremonies and events. Unfortunately Ottawa/Gatineau Canada 150 events (for the 150th anniversary of Confederation in 2017) have poor coverage and only 8 files are in the commons category for Canada 150 in Ottawa. As we are also host to several international delegations, we could populate Commons with several images to compliment articles on Canadian foreign relations.
2. What activities will you organize in the next 6 months to create content and use it on Wikimedia projects?
Through collaboration with the WikiClub, we are generating a running list of topics which are completely lacking coverage and those with poor-quality coverage. We will also maintain a list of upcoming events for which coverage is desired.
3. How will the equipment be shared/tracked/cared for by members of your community?
The equipment will be available to members in good standing of the Ottawa-Gatineau WikiClub. Members will be able to request use of the equipment with a basic outline of what they intend to cover so there is no duplication of efforts. There will also be a tracking page with different locations in the city and the topics for which more coverage is needed. Members will then be able to check off the topics they were able to obtain images for and provide a link to the respective images/categories where they can be found on Commons.
We will also use the equipment to cover the WikiClub's events and activities.
4. How long will the equipment be used, and by whom?
As per the above section, it will be available to member in good standing of the Ottawa-Gatineau WikiClub. With due care the equipment will last between 5-10 years.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
There is a list being compiled here with topics/events which are in need of coverage.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of photos uploaded: 600 over the next 6 months
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 150 (25%)
- Number of articles created/improved: 50
We will also require that a tracking tag (similar to this one) to all images uploaded with equipment provided by the Ottawa-Gatineau WikiClub.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
I will be responsible for managing the program for the WikiClub and ensuring the safe storage of equipment.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list each expense and include a total amount.
- Nikon D7200 Camera Bundle $1,490 CAD (available on Amazon.ca) including:
- Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens
- Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Lens
- 64GB High Speed Class 10 Memory Card (2)
- Replacement Li-ion Battery Pack (2)
- Dual Battery Charger
- Opteka 67" MP100 Aluminum Monopod
- Padded Carrying Case
- Opteka X-GRIP Professional Action Stabilizing Handle
- Opteka 2.2x High Definition II Telephoto Lens
- Opteka 0.43x High Definition II Wide Angle Lens
- UV Ultra Violet Filter
- Professional 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV-CPL-FLD)
- Opteka VL5 LED Video Light
- Professional Sling SLR Backpack
- High Speed SD/SDHC/Micro SD Reader/Writer
- Flower Tulip Lens Hood
- Opteka Neoprene Padded Dual Grip/Wrist Strap
- Lens Cleaning Pen
- Small Mini Tabletop Tripod
- Lens Cleaning Kit
- Cleaning Cloth
- Albott 70 Inch Aluminum Tripod with Bag ($48.99 CAD on Amazon.ca)
- Comment: As of November 28, that specific tripod now appears to be unavailable. If it doesn't become available again I propose obtaining another tripod of similar quality and price.
- Taxes : $163.90 CAD
Total: $1,702.88 CAD (~$1,340.23 USD)
members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I support this request. There is a real knowledge gap in photographic content about that region on Commons. Futhermore, it is not mentioned in the grant request, but the National Capital Region is also home of several national museums of Canada which collaborations could be established to develop content for Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia. I volunteer to help establish those partnerships. Amqui (talk) 17:33, 23 November 2017 (UTC)
- Support. The WikiClub of the Capital of Canada needs photographic equipment to improve the photographic presence of eligible subjects in Wikipedia. Ottawa is home to several Canadian GLAMs and this equipment is vital to Wikipedia's iconographic development in Canada. I strongly support this grant. Benoit Rochon (talk) 03:42, 26 November 2017 (UTC)
- Sounds reasonable. Steinsplitter (talk) 19:23, 26 November 2017 (UTC)
- This'll help the community, reasonable request. Regards, Krishna Chaitanya Velaga (talk — mail) 05:46, 1 December 2017 (UTC)