Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
- Recruit new editors particularly cis and trans women and gender non-conforming individuals (underrepresented in Wikipedia), engaging them to join Wiki Editoras Lx (editors group).
- Increase skills for existing editors and offer basic skills training for new editors.
- Collectively add or improve content on women, BIPOC, queer, non-binary, and immigrant art and artists.
- Integrate this editathon in Lisbon's feminist agenda in the context of the celebration of International Women’s Day.
- Serve as a community hub for women to meet and celebrate March 08th; we will edit Wikipedia together during the day and go to the march in the evening.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Wiki Editoras Lx is organizing a single editathon on International Women’s Day (please check below -Resources- for editors group presentation). This editathon is an independent grassroots iniciative looking for finantial support from Wikimedia. Our event's Friendly Space Policies will be based on Art+Feminism's policy.
- We will work from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM, have lunch together, and then join the International Women's Day march.
- Date: Sunday, March 8, 2020
- Time: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM (We will work until 2:00 PM, have lunch together and then join the International Women's Day march)
- Location: Penhasco Arte Cooperativa - Rua Neves Ferreira 10B, 1170-070 Lisbon, Portugal
- Main facilitator: PatriHorrillo
- Curatorial specialist: Paula Guerra
- Who should attend: Priority will be given to cis and trans women and gender non-conforming individuals
- Maximum number of participants: 25 seats
- The event is free, registration is required
- To encourage mothers/parents with children to attend, this year we will make sure to provide childcare!
- Hashtag: #artandfeminism #Editatona8MLx
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Next week the organizers Contaminadas and Anita Braga will participate in Wiki Con Portugal, where they will promote this editathon and Wiki Editoras Lx's work. Besides promotion, it will be an opportunity for alliance building, specially with the gender gap round table's members on January 19th.
- The event will be promoted in the biweekly meetings of Wiki Editoras Lx group and alongside with its regular online communication.
- We will launch a social media joint promotion campaign as follows:
- The venue, Penhasco Arte Cooperativa, the three organizers and the facilitator will promote the event in their networks (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, emails and whatsapp).
- Penhasco Arte Cooperativa promotion efforts will be key, since this established artists' cooperative presents an active cultural program open to the general public, and therefore their community is a target for this Art+Feminism editathon.
- Additionally, there will be a small social media paid ads campaign (Facebook and Instagram).
- We will contact Lisbon's Feminist Festival and other important local grassroots women organizations for increased promotion. We will share information about the event with the local municipality in order to have it featured in the local magazine (Revista da Junta de Freguesia Penha de França).
- Get in touch with other local Art+Feminism organizers, such as CristinaAssunção, DarwIn, Femagap-Sofia Ponte, etc., to build community and ask for promotion collaboration.
- Please check our dashboard!
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, PatriHorrillo is the primary experienced Wikipedia editor who will be our main facilitator. The organizers of this event, Anita Braga, RitaFMatos and Contaminadas, editors who meet biweekly as Wiki Editoras Lx group to improve content on and of interest to women and to other gender non-conforming identities, started a collaboration with her last year, in the editathon carried out on May 25th, 2019, coordinated by Contaminadas. The three organizers will also work as instructors to support PatriHorrillo.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The event will be carried out at Penhasco Arte Cooperativa, where there are communal tables, chairs, extension cords, unlimited fast-speed internet, a screen and a projector. We will invite participants to bring their own laptops, power cords, and mobile phones.
- Participants who already have editing skills will have the opportunity to improve it by working with other experienced editors, as for the new editors, the three organizers-editors and the main facilitator will offer the support and basic editing skills training. Everybody will be able to add new content or at least improve content in Wikipedia during this event.
- The main written and spoken language will be Portuguese (we will be editing the Portuguese Wikipedia), however, and given the multilingual and multicultural richness of the city of Lisbon, we also welcome participants who would like to write in Spanish, English or Italian.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Sending participants a post-event assessment questionnaire and inviting them to join our biweelky editors group, Wiki Editoras Lx.
- Inviting them to join our Whatsapp group and other Social media groups.
- Sending them future e-mails with next editathon/special events' information.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is our first Art + Feminism editathon and the first time our editors group apply for funds. This finantial support will leverage our collaboration with the campaign, since it will allow us to recruit and offer trainning to new editors whom will help to add and improve content on women, BIPOC, queer, non-binary, and immigrant art and artists in Wikipedia.
- Additionally, this opportunity will strenghten our editors group work; the increase visibility will allow us to recruit new members, make new alliances and set the groundwork for the organization of new events, etc.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: maximum of 25 seating participants + 3 organizers/facilitators + 1 main facilitator + 2 people from the venue (childcare/food services) = 31
- Number of new editors: 20 people
- Number of articles created or improved: 25
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): ------
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Wiki Editoras Lx, the organizer of this event, is a group of Wikipedia editors (application for recognition still TBD) born out of an editathon that took place during the 2nd Lisbon's Feminist Festival, on May 25th, 2019. Since then we have been meeting regularly twice a month (Mondays), at Penhasco Arte Cooperativa, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Our group is an independently grassroots not-for-profit initiave with no resources or institutional support.
- We regularly welcome new editors (no experience is required), keeping at least 75% of cis or trans women and gender non-conforming individuals membership. We address gender inequalities in Wikipedia while improving content on and of interest to women and to other gender non-conforming identities, often focusing on global-south and BIPOC individuals.
- We are excited that PatriHorrillo, experienced wikipedia editor responsible for Wikiesfera group (Madrid, Spain), will again be our main facilitator - we started our collaboration with her last year, when we carried out our first editathon (mentioned above). As usual, Penhasco Arte Cooperativa will provide us the space, technical equipment, internet and help with the promotion of the event.
- Paula Guerra, PhD in Sociology from the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Porto (FLUP) and Associate Professor on the Department of Sociology of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities in the same university will give us curatorial support on this Art+Feminism editathon's theme -Art+Activism- and will be present during the event to give a brief introduction about it, focusing on the content to be edited.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- This edit-a-thon is an independent non-profit grassroots iniciative with no finantial or institutional support looking for funding to cover some of the event's costs:
- 1. Food expenses - Coffee/snack + lunch (including drinks) = 35 people * 14 € = 490 €
- - 25 participants
- - 3 organizers + 1 main facilitator (all editors) + 1 curatorial specialist
- - 2 venue people (childcare/food services)
- - 3 kids (in case some of the participants bring their children)
- 2. Childcare = 70 €
- 3. Social media paid ad campaign = 60 €
- 4. Wikipedia Incentive Prizes/Giveaways = 138 € (mugs, globe buttons and globe stickers from Wikipedia store and shipping)
- 5. Local transportation for both main facilitator and curatorial specialist = 50 €
- 6. Transportation for curatorial specialist (train ticket Porto<>Lisbon) = 53 €
- 7. Accomodation for main facilitator = 144 € (2 nights)
- 8. Accomodation for curatorial specialist = 65 € (1 night)
- 9. Unforseen expenses = 30 €
- TOTAL: 1.100,00 € or approx. US$ 1.225,52
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Endorsing on behalf of Art+Feminism. --Kiraface (talk) 19:10, 16 January 2020 (UTC)
- Viola-Ness (talk) 18:43, 16 January 2020 (UTC)
- It is the first time Editoras Wikipedia LX will be hosting an editathon in Lisbon and I am sure they will do a great job! Furthermore, it is always important to see more A+F editathons happening in Portuguese speaking countries and helping to spread the word about this important campaign. Museu33389 (talk) 13:51, 17 January 2020 (UTC)
- strong support I had the pleasure to meet two of the organizers in Porto last week, and I am confident they will do a fantastic job in this editathon. Anything you need from Wikimedia Portugal, do let us know. GoEThe (talk) 15:02, 21 January 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support I've had the pleasure to know Ana and Tila from Wiki Editoras Lx a few days ago, during WikiCon Portugal 2020, and was very impressed with their engagement, determination, energy - and skills and technical capacity at the Wikimedia projects, which we had the opportunity to further develop during the event. I strongly support this initiative and the Gender Gap interest group which has been forming in Lisbon, and will be delighted in coordinating with them on the Art+Fem initiatives promoted and supported by Wikimedia Portugal - Darwin Ahoy! 15:28, 21 January 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support I've met them on WikiCon Portugal and they seem full of energy to organize this event, that will, hopefully, be the first of many. Alchimista (talk) 16:12, 21 January 2020 (UTC)
- endorsed on behalf of Art + Feminism! Elenacmunoz (talk) 21:28, 31 January 2020 (UTC)
- I would like to endorse this project AthinaPetsou (talk) 22:31, 2 February 2020 (UTC)