Grants:PEG/Satdeep Gill/Punjabi Wikimedians Community Space
- We are going to create a community space for the Community members of Punjabi Wikimedia projects where high speed internet will be available and editors can come and edit anytime. As of now there are community spaces in only a few countries like Germany, Austria, France etc. This will be the first community space in India and we hope to motivate others to do it. (Just like the formation of Maithili Wikimedians User Group after Punjabi Wikimedians got recognized.)
- We are going to have regular meetups at this community space. (At least 3 meetups in the next three months)
Expected participants per meetup: 10-15
- Punjabi Wikimedia is going to organize WikiConference India 2016 and this community space will be used for all of its Patiala meetings.
Expected participants per meeting: 5-10
- We plan to have a number in-house edit-a-thons during the coming months. Last year we requested reference books from Wikimedia India] to add references in Punjabi Wikipedia articles and we have added around 100 references as well. But we feel the potential has not been realized yet. In-house edit-a-thons by using these books will make a big impact. (At least 3 edit-a-thons in the next three months)
Expected participants per event: 5-10
- We will be organizing training workshops as well. Many Punjabi Wikimedians don't know how to use IRC, Mailing lists and various other tools. We will be teaching them all this during the workshop.(At least one training workshop in the next three months)
Expected participants per workshop: 10-15
It will be established in a Residential Colony in Patiala which is the house of two Punjabi Wikimedians (Satdeep Gill and Charan Gill). Their home is also easily accessible for other Punjabi Wikimedians who come from Patiala and Punjabi University, Patiala.
- Note: All our Patiala meetups took place in Punjabi University, Patiala and the propsoed location is only 1.2 KM away.
- Punjabi Wikimedia projects and Wikimedia Commons
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorities. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1–2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found here.
- Building infrastructure and Increasing participation: This will help in mentoring editors during meetups and in-house edit-a-thons.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used to determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG program resources for suggested measures of success.
- 3 meetups in 3 months. (10-12 editors per meetup)
- 6 edit-a-thons in 3 months (6-7 editors per edit-a-thon)
- Training editors at Community Space. (10 editors)
- No. of articles edited and improved during edit-a-thons. (20 articles per event)
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some global metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risksEdit
Team Members are experienced editors of Punjabi Wikipedia:
Punjabi Wikimedians is a recognized User Group and we have 26 members as of now. 23 out these reside in India. Around 10 out of these make more than 100 edits in a month.
Competitions and Editathons organized in the past: All these have shown results which were noted by communities all over the world.
- Punjabi Wikipedia Article Writing Competition
- Punjabi Wikipedia 13th Anniversary Edit-a-thon
- Punjabi Wikipedia International Women's Day Edit-a-thon
- Punjabi Wiki Workshop Chandigarh
We have organized some meetups without any funding and from our own pockets:
- Punjabi Community Meetup 1 February 2015
- Punjabi Community Meetup 14 March 2015
- Punjabi Community Meetup 6 June 2015
- Punjabi Community Meetup - 8 August 2015
- Meetup/Patiala/5 (25 September 2015)
- Meetup/Patiala/6 (3 January 2016) - This was funded by WMF.
- Meetup/Patiala/7 (27 february 2016)
We don't see any potential risk in the formation of community space.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|5||Infrastructure||Internet||per month||3||1500||5650||INR||1,150 Installation charges|
|6||Infrastructure||Room Rent||per month||3||3000||9000||INR||Nominal rent for covering some basic costs such as electricity, cleaning, maintenance etc.|
- Total cost of project
- 46,650 INR
- Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants program
- 46,650 INR (24,670 INR remaining from previously funded grant)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
See a description of non-financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requests for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance, if any
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talk page, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Here is a link to the summary of the meetup.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.