Grants:PEG/Esperanto kaj Libera Scio/Projects 2015-2016
- 1 Goal
- 2 Plan
- 3 Resources and risks
- 4 Budget
- 5 Discussion
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful (2–3 sentences).
The project’s goal is to increase the awareness of Esperanto speakers about Wikimedia projects and libre knowledge principles; to increase the awareness of Esperanto organisations about the synergy effects of incorporating the use of Wikimedia projects into their activities; to recruit new editors from within the Esperanto community and to develop the skills of current editors.
- Talks, presentations and trainings during various meetings with the purpose of informing, promoting and teaching about various multilingual wiki projects (all Esperanto speakers are at least bilingual, often multilingual or polyglots), their principles and significance
- There are already confirmed lectures and training, some requested and many planned - events holding the session includes World Congress of Esperanto (UK), International Youth Congress of Esperanto (IJK), Summer Esperanto-Study (SES), Youth E-Week (JES), national meetings etc.
- Collaboration with (especially Esperanto-related) organisations about QRpedia (particularly museums) and digitalisation and release of libre materials (archives, libraries)
- We already have a preliminary agreement about QRpedia with the Esperanto museum in Svitavy (Czech Republic).
- Printing of general information materials (leaflets about Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, overview of all wiki projects and our WUG ELiSo)
- Printing of outreach materials (pens, note books, stickers…)
- Article translating contest on Esperanto Wikipedia (2015)
- It's main goal is to introduce users to Content Translation, increase its usage and improve if functionality. As Esperanto Wikipedia is one of 8 firsts Wikipedias with this feature, we are glad to provide feedback in this pioneering time.
- Article writing contest on Esperanto Wikipedia (2016)
mostly concentrated about Wikipedias (both in Esperanto and in another languages) and Commons; some activities are directed to general Wikimedia movement or more wiki projects
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
Most activities will be focused to increase participation and quality.
- Participation - Active promotion of participation, both general and focused, will be done. This includes actions helping to make the "first step", via personal trainings and an article writing contest. Requests and colabouration proposals from Esperanto organisations from past show that there is interest of wider Esperanto community which wasn't satisfied yet. (Despite of high proportion of editors per speaker)
- Quality - The planned activities are generally oriented for providing more quality content, both in short term point of view (like the article writing contest) and middle and long term point of view (like lectures, trainings and outreach materials) and for making current content better or refactored.
Our activities touch also Reach and Credibility priorities.
- Reach - Some activities, like QRpedia and presentations of non-Wikipedia projects, will be done to increase actual reach.
- Credibility - Non-editors in general are not aware about the workflow in wikis, and their possibilities to evaluate quality is corresponding. Often they are limited to the image of "anyone can add anything" but don't know, that "anyone can correct everything". Quality control is often question during presentations and trainings and in such case we have possibility to clarify the affair, resulting in more understanding and trust.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Presentations, talks and trainings
- Promotion of Wikimedia projects at the two biggest annual gatherings of the Esperanto community – the World Congress of Esperanto and the International Youth Congress of Esperanto – at least one appearance at each of the events in both project years.
- at least 25 other Esperanto meetings during which Wikimedia projects will be presented
- at least 15 practical trainings about Wikimedia projects
- Collaboration with partners
- at least 2 institutions newly using QRpedia
- at least 5 organisations newly freeing their content
- Information and outreach materials
- Printing of general and outreach information materials and their dissemination during talks, presentations and trainings, partners meetings etc.
- Wikipedia article translating contest (2015)
- at least 20 participants
- at least 5 new contributors
- at least 40 articles translated
- cumulative change at least 400 KB
- creation and test of system for tracking of problematic parts in machine translator (especially missing words) provided by Content Translation extension (this should be done in advance with help of Language Engineering Team and the contest should boost its usage and efficiency)
- reported at least 2 bugs about Content Translation extension (but it is probable that many of newborn illnesses will be fixed in the time of the contest and we would be happy of that)
- usage of Content Translation in Esperanto Wikipedia in 2 months after end of the contest at least 2 times higher than in 2 months before the contest
- Wikipedia article writing contest (2016)
- at least 35 participants
- at least 5 new contributors
- at least 75 articles edited
- cumulative change at least 700 KB
About differences between the 2 Wikipedia contests: The estimates are based on the Esperanto Wikipedia contest in 2010. The translating contest need additional actions to be done and skills to be learned (compared to traditional article writing contest) and there are many unknown conditions related to Content Translation extension (as it is quite new feature) so our estimates are lower. Also the goal of the contests are different.
Resources and risksEdit
- Team members
- Peter Baláž - experienced in promoting online projects, organising meetings,
- Ziko van Dijk - speaker, learning materials author, skills from WMNL
- Blahma - speaker, organiser, trainer, skills from WMCZ
- KuboF - speaker, organiser, skills from WMSK
- Our members
- in past organised first writing contest on Esperanto Wikipedia (link to results)
- founded or inspired founding of couple of wiki projects
- are experienced about promoting campaigns for education websites
- are connected to various Esperanto, educational and open culture organisations as well as to another Wikimedia affiliations
- participate on organising of various meetings and conferences, including the biggest Esperanto congress
- are already in active contact about collaboration with the main 2 umbrella Esperanto organisations (World Esperanto Association and World Esperanto Youth Organization)
- asked for similar travel grants during 2014: Vikivortarmanio Medellín 2014 / report (WMF TPS), JES 2014-2015 / report (WMF TPS), Arkones 2014 (WMPL)
- Difficulty in recruiting new volunteers
- many Esperanto-speakers are already active in another organisations and may not have a time for very active wikimedia work
- big diaspora of Esperanto speakers what makes harder to group concrete people for repetitive trainings
- difficulty in evaluating outreach materials impact
- Esperanto speakers are not a “general public” (which need about 7 contacts with Wikimedia to start work) but kind of enthusiastic pioneers and early adopters
- Esperanto speakers are often very willing to provide their content under free license
- Esperanto speakers usually visit meetings close to their living area, so one member can after some time of presenting and training during various meetings catch people from his / her wider area
- technical features, like VisualEditor, Wikidata and ContentTranslation, makes wiki editing more accessible
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit (EUR)||Total cost (EUR)||WMF contribution (EUR)||Other sources contribution (EUR)||Notes|
|1||Travel||speaks, presentations, seminars||1 travel of 1 person||50||150||7,500||7,500||0|
|2||Travel||meetings with partners||1 travel of 1 person||20||100||2,000||2,000||0|
|3||press||informational materials||1 leaflet||30,000||depends on amount||1,500||1,500||0||leaflets about Wikipedia, Commons and general overview|
|4||press||outreach materials||various||not applicable||not applicable||5,000||5,000||0||pens, stickers, exercise books, bags, cups|
|5||prizes||prize for article translation contest||prize and certificate for 1 person + post cost when applicable||15||various||600||450||150||various prizes like books, music CDs or gadgets, post costs|
some details (number of awarded participants, prizes from partners etc.) can change as this contest reacts to new feature (Content Translation) and we made only basic contact with external world yet
|6||"prizes"||gifts for jury members||small gift and "thank you" letter for 1 person + post costs when applicable||6||various||150||150||0||small compensation for jury member's work|
some details (jury size, prizes from partners etc.) can change as this contest reacts to new feature (Content Translation) and we made only basic contact with external world yet
|7||prizes||prize and certificate for article writing contest||prize for 1 person + post cost when applicable||15||various||600||450||150||various prizes like books, music CDs or gadgets, post costs|
some details (number of awarded participants, prizes from partners etc.) can change as we will set them accordingly to the previous contest
|8||"prizes"||gifts for jury members||small gift and "thank you" letter for 1 person, + post costs when applicable||6||various||150||150||0||small compensation for jury member's work|
some details (jury size, prizes from partners etc.) can change as we will set them accordingly to the previous contest
|9||administration||bank wire fee||1 wire||1||30||30||30||0|
Total cost of projectEdit
- 17,530 EUR
Total amount requestedEdit
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
- 17,230 EUR
Additional sources of revenueEdit
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
- prizes for competition - cost depends on agreement between organisators and partners
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- mailing lists:
- Esperanto Wikipedia:
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.