|Users by language
NEW: Some sections of my book on wikis and Wikipedia are translated here.
Hello, I am Ziko van Dijk (male, his/him), a German who lives in the Netherlands. Since 2003 I have a Wikipedia account, and in 2008 I joined Wikimedia Deutschland and Wikimedia Nederland. I am the co-founder of the Klexikon, a children's encyclopedia in German. My YouTube channel is called Understanding Wikis and Wikipedia.
Wikimedia movement edit
As a historian (Dr.) and Wikipedian my main topic is the history of the 19th and 20th century (Germany, the Netherlands, international relations). Besides, I try to make the Wikipedia articles easier to understand and improve the help pages. I contribute to Wikipedia in German, English, Dutch and Esperanto.
In the Wikimedia movement I am interested in education, research and outreach. From 2011 to 2014 I have been the chair of Wikimedia Nederland. On German Wikipedia I was a Mentor and I have been a member of the arbitration committee (Schiedsgericht). Currently I serve as the secretary of the Wikipedia & Education User Group. For Wikimedia Deutschland, I am an official Wikipedia-Kulturbotschafter (cultural ambassador for Wikipedia) for the years 2022-2024. This means that I connect 'GLAM's (institutions for the cultural heritage) with Wikipedians.
Besides that I am a wiki consultant who has been hired by many different kind of institutions, from schools and universities to museums and political founcations.
About my experiences at international Wikimedia conferences I reported in my travel diaries.
Before the Single User Login, I was Ziko-W at Meta Wiki, and Ziko-C at Wikimedia Commons.
I have written a German Wikibook for the self learner who wants to become a Wikipedian: „Eigene Beiträge“. In August 2010 Open Source Press published Wikipedia. Wie Sie zur freien Enzyklopädie beitragen, a text book in German. The book is now online on Wikimedia Commons.
In March 2021, my new book about wikis and Wikipedia (in German) was published.
- My website, with a list of publications
- My YouTube channel about wikis and Wikipedia (in German and English)
- My YouTube channel about the Netherlands and Germany (in German and Dutch)
- Ist das meins oder muss ich das teilen? Open Access und Copyright in den digitalen Geisteswissenschaften, Max meets LISA mit Prof. Dr. Thomas Kirchner, Dr. Ziko van Dijk und Dr. Jonathan Beck, December 2015 (German)
- Between the Brackets: a MediaWiki Podcast by Yaron Koren, September 2021
- Die Relevanz der Beteiligung, Erlanger Poetenfest mit Florian Felix Weyh, Philipp Schrögel, Ziko van Dijk, Markus Hoffmann, August 2021 (German) (the mp3 file is still online)
- Wikipedia: Weltwissen ohne Gewähr, Lange Nacht (long night radio feature) at Deutschlandfunk Kultur, February 2022