Grants:IdeaLab/Wikipedia African Academy
What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
the project objective is to increase the number of contributors and wikimedia actvities in the African country, Wikimedia and develop new communities and new user groups, after a new research from the Oxford Internet Institute said that There are More Wikipedia Editors from the Netherlands than All of Africa , we need to increase activity and active users in African country by educating active community members in new african country where wikipedia activity is so low
The conference is designed to create a forum for Africa-based Wikipedians to participate in meaningful discussion about, and create a collective strategy to, advocate and expand contributions to Wikimedia, Wikipedia and the open movement across Africa. The conference will assist in strengthening existing and burgeoning Wikimedia communities, will provide tools and skills to encourage the growth of new communities, and will address long-standing online and continental community issues towards consistent participation across the continent.
What is your solution?Edit
The proposed solution is to organize training about wikimedia projects for 14 university aenseignants or University student from 7 African countries where wikipedia activities is very low, after the traiing will follow and assist participante to hold event his country and reach his goals
- Training program
The training program will be about all activity and course about wikipedia and wikimedia project, the program will include:
- Presentation about wikimedia project and wikimedia Foundation
- Wikipedia and Wikimedia Projects editing
- Wikimedia commons uploding photo
- Wikipedia Education program
- Wiki Loves Event ( Wiki loves Monuments, Wiki Loves Earth and Wiki Loves Africa )
- The Open Movement and its impact in Africa,
- Working with partners to extract citable content
- Leveraging networks to build community and aggregate content,
- Using Wikimedia tools, e.g. GLAM tools, Wikimetrics and Wiki Data,
- Event planning, marketing and communication for engagement, Project planning, grants, accountability and budgets, and Tracking and metric tools and evaluation.
- And meeting to discuss new activity and project in Africa with all user groups and chapters
- And others activities
Delegates will be drawn from the following countries: Mauritania, Sudan, Djibouti, Comoros, Eritrea, South Sudan, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, The Gambia ,Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Liberia, Mozambique, Niger, São Tomé and Príncipe, Seychelles ,Sierra Leone, Somalia
- Monitoring of participants
After the training, participants will be monitored and supported for the realization of projects fixed during Academy
- Eligibility to participate
The participante should be:
- A student or university aenseignants from anb african country
- Involved in civil society
- Participation in non-Wikimedia free knowledge, free software, collaborative or educational initiatives
- Ready to organise wikimedia event in his country
- Has some knowledge about wikimedia
- Has an advanced knowledge of English.
All trainers will be from Africa wikimedia affiliation, as well this event will be an opportunity to organise meetups with active user groups and chapters in Africa.
The number of trainers is 15
From 19 to 24 December 2016
Tunisia, Tunis National Centre for Training of Trainers in Education Carthage- TUNISIA.
Wikipedia African Academy aims to strengthen the Wikimedia movement in Africa by providing a platform that allows for fledgling, and established, Wikipedians and Wikimedian communities across Africa to interact, share experiences, develop bonds and create continental networks for a sustainable future for new and existing chapters. Its focus is to produce direct, Africa-based answers and solutions to the WMF and chapters on implementing the movement’s strategic goals. It is designed to proactively support the Wikimedia movement within the developing world/Third World or often referred to as the ‘Global South’. Transfer community leadership and building skills, as well as share and adapt toolkits and event templates to encourage and activate community engagement and sustained contribution across Africa. Our specific goals for the conference are to:
- Have a maximum of 26 conference delegates:
- 14 new active wikipedians in ten african country not involved in wikimedia project
- 12 conference from Africaine Wikimedia affiliation
- 3 month after the event 10 activity about wikipedia in wikimedia activity on this african country (Wikipedia workshops, photo walk, wiki loves event , GLAM activity etc)
- 3 month after the event 4 new eduction program on this african country
- 3 month after the event, 5 new grants request to increase activity
- 5 month after the event, 5 new users group will be created
- Identify areas of discussion for next year's Activiteis in Africa.
- 1 Project idea
- 2 Project goals
- 3 Plan
- 4 Resources and risks
- 5 Budget
- 6 Get Involved
- 7 Community notification
- 8 References
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
Resources and risksEdit
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
|Item||Quantity||Unit price in TND||Total in TND||Total in USD||Notes|
|Accomodation + breakfast + lunch: ( @65 TND/night per person for 5 nights)||50||325||16250||7 987,87|
|Opening ceremony dinner @40 TND per person.||50||35||1750||860,23|
|Social Event @35 TND per person.||50||35||1750||860,23|
|"Printed T-shirts, for the conference participants||55||20||1100||540,72|
|Communication costs (Documentation , banners, etc.)||1||500||500||245,78|
|Conference documentation & stickers & badges||55||10||550||270,36|
|Project Management||5||1700||8500||4 178,27||Two project manager working for five months, about 6 hours a day|
|Incidental costs & contingencies||1||3000||3000||1 474,68|
|Total||80 300||39 472|
Total cost of projectEdit
80 300 TND/ 39 472 USD
Total amount requestedEdit
80 300 TND/ 39 472 USD Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program.
Additional sources of revenueEdit
No Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
About the idea creatorEdit
I'm Mounir Touzri, a Tunisian living in Tunis. I obtained a Diploma of Industrial Engineering from National Engineering School of Tunis at the Carthage University. I am a member of organizations such as the Junior Chamber International and wikimedia TN user group. I took part of the team of wikimania Monastir 2015 , after that I join the wikimedia TN user group to organized wikiarabia 2015, wiki loves earth 2015 in Tunisia and many other events.
- Community organizer As a member of Wikimedia Tunisia User Group, it will a great opportunity to be a part of the organization community. Hamed Gamaoun (talk) 13:09, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
- Volunteer I'm Alain DATAGNI, trainer and coodrinateur 3d printAfricaEducative project at WoeLab in Togo. I think it will be good to developp the project also in Togo and francophone countries in general. But in the meantime , I'll be happy to participate in the project develop here in Togo
- Researcher Inspiring people to share and accurate their knowledges by disseminating the ways Wikimedia foundation itself can improve their academic and social interaction, and how to participate in Wikimedia foundation by giving their contributes. First aim goes to the countries where Wikimedia foundation access is free, by propagating this information. Dorivaldo de C. M. dos Santos (talk) 23:23, 14 March 2016 (UTC)
- Volunteer This is a great idea. I am working on Afripedia project and I think this can help african contributor to do more BamLifa (talk) 09:32, 19 March 2016 (UTC)
- This is indeed a problem that needs solving, and the proposed solution here is a good first step. Maunus (talk) 16:53, 5 March 2016 (UTC)
- This is a good project that help the African Community to get in touch with all Wikimedia Projects Hamed Gamaoun (talk) 13:05, 8 March 2016 (UTC)
- This could be a good first step to start addressing the issue of countries where we basically have no wikimedians... Anthere (talk)
- African participation and coverage is one of the big under-invested frontiers of our volunteer community, really support this well designed effort, Sadads (talk) 14:29, 9 March 2016 (UTC)
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?