Grants:Conference/UG HI/Hindi Wiki Conference 2020
Purpose and vision
Please give a brief description of the event you are planning. What do you hope to accomplish during the event? Why is this event important for your community?
Hindi Wiki Conference 2020 would be next step towards annual Wiki conferences related to Hindi Wikipedia and it's sister projects organised by Hindi Wikimedia User Group. The primary purpose of the conference is to promote the growth of Hindi Wikipedia and its sister projects and strengthen Hindi Wikimedian Community. In this conference, Hindi Wikimedians will discuss the future goals of the Wikimedia Movement in terms of content and organizational development. Our events will include participation of institutions by organizing workshops for community growth and its capacity building. This conference will provide newcomers and experienced Wikimedians, both, a platform for learning, capacity building and sharing of experiences and ideas to address the challenges and opportunities of Hindi Wikimedia movement. This is one and only event where our community get together and discuss to shape the future of Hindi Wikimedia movement, therefore this is utmost important to us.
Please add key information to the table below. The dates, location and number of participants can be estimates and do not need to be finalized at this time.
|Proposed date(s)||21, 22 and 23 February, 2020|
|Proposed location||New Delhi|
|Number of participants||40|
|Event page||हिंदी विकिसम्मेलन 2020|
|Primary contact person||अनिरुद्ध!|
Use the results from the community engagement survey to fill in the table below. Since you cannot cover all topics or meet all needs at one event, prioritisation is important. Please rank the priority of each topic, skill, project or problem as high, medium or low. Finally, please answer the questions below the table.
What are the top issues affecting your community that need to be discussed in person?
Are there important skills that many people in your community need to learn?
Are there joint projects that need to be planned in person?
Are there other in-person activities are important for community building?
|will focus on building and sustaining partnerships, content creation, community development, conference/event planning, grant-proposals and reporting||High|
- 1. How many people did you send the survey to? How many people responded to the survey?
- We sent survey to village pump, main WhatsApp group and mailing list. We also sent survey to many users personally. About 20 users responded to the survey.
- 2. Did you see consensus around shared goals that this community wants to focus on in the next 12 months? What were the top 2 goals?
- Yes. We saw consensus around several shared goals. Top 2 goals shared by the users in the survey are-
- i) bridge the gender gap
- ii) Link all Hindi Wikimedia projects with education and learning.
- 3. Based on survey responses, what are the most important things your community should do at the conference to achieve those goals?
- To-do list for achieving those goals-
- i) To bridge the gender gap we will invite experience female Wikimedians for presentation and also arrange essential training session for potential female editors.
- ii) We will conduct pre-conference workshops at academic institutions prior to Conference and try to organize conference in an academic institution.
It is helpful to get an understanding of why this event is important to your community, and what experiences you have had in the past. Please answer the applicable questions below.
- 1. What inspired your community to begin planning this event?
- Around 500 million people of Hindi speaking world is still underrepresented on Wikimedia movement and content contributions. Only Hindi Wikipedia is somehow in little good condition but it's sister projects like Wiktionary, Wikivoyage, Wikiversity, Wikibooks etc are still inactive. The last Conference held in February 2019 in Kolkata, proved a lifeline for Hindi Wikisource project. It not only got approval from language committee within 45 days of the conference but also got enormous growth. We believe it will be among 15 best Wikisources till date at the time of its sub-domain creation and will be among top 10 till the conference. We see proposed event as an opportunity to revive inactive Hindi wiki projects, build capacity for Hindi Wikimedians, develop project leaders, grow potential individuals in areas they have little or no expertise, equip potential editors with new skills, share or discuss strategy that would work in the favor of Hindi Wikimedia community.
- 2. How does this event relate to other activities that your community is working on?
- There has been an increase in coordinated activities since the last conference. For example, the last conference participants from Hindi Wikisource have formed a strong working group and have impacted their project immensely. There effort resulted in approval of Hindi Wikisource project. As a part of building sustainable and transparent community, we reformed Hindi Wikimedians User Group who are active in offline activities like meetups and training programs. Growing Hindi Wikipedians active groups resulted in many policy forming like machine translation policy on Hindi Wikipedia, due work clearance like hundreds of irrelevant pages clearance on Wikisource and Wikipedia, patrolling and content developments activities etc.
- 3. Please list the priorities identified in the report from the last conference organized by this community. What progress have you made in those areas?
Identified priorities Progress made Growth in Wikipedia and it's sister projects Surging growth in Hindi Wikipedia and it's sister projects was one of the identified priority in the last conference and since the last conference there have been significant growth in the number of contributors, contents and Wikimedia projects. It has caused approval of Hindi Wikisource. Capacity / Skills Building This priority was reflected in participation of new contributor in conference which has been reflected significant growth of Wikipedia, Wikisource and Wikibooks. For example there has been enormous increase in the contributions on Wikisource. structured content development This priority was identified to enhance quality of Wikipedia article and sister projects content. This resulted in Wikisource and Wikipedia massive clearance of thousands of irrelevant pages and articles. It also resulted in 6 featured books on Wikisource and one featured article on Wikipedia within six month. collaboration for education programs This priority had decided after observing vast potential of coherent growth of educational institution and Wikipedia and sister projects. This priority has made it possible for participants of last conference to identify other three educational institution that could be affiliate with Hindi Wikipedia some of which are in the planning stage. For example, R.B.C. College Education project, will be kick-started soon.
- 4. If your community has hosted a similar conference in the past, what key lessons were learned, and what would you like to improve on?
- the last Conference was better organized and went well but it could be excellent if some issues were resolved.
|The Time||The time the organizing team had from the approval of funds to organizing this conference was very close and affected them in many ways. such as the time of receiving funds, renegotiating deals for accommodation and transportation because bookings were closed and prices of ticket shot up, caused inconvenient flight bookings because of high price, etc.||Final decisions about grants approval at least 3 months before the conference date.|
|Transfer of funds||The transfer of funds were quite delayed because of the long procedure. This affected the organizing team because accommodation and travel cost gone up.||The final fund transfer should be at least 1 month before conference date. There should be also any process for emergencies.|
|No outreach activity||There were limited or no time outside events and activities for socialization because the timetable was jam packed and we are focused only on online project content and community.||It can be added if conference held for three full days and the program designed for full half day for social outreach activity.|
- This conference will consider successful only if we met following goals
|no.||particular||present status||3 month goals||6 month goals||1 year goals||remarks|
|1||live wiki projects||2 wikipedia and wikisource||3 wikibook included||4 wiktionary included||5 wikiversity included||at least 3 editor of more than 100 edits|
|2||active female editor||2/month||5||10||15||who has more than 100 edit in a project|
|3||wikipedia new article||700/month||3000||6000||12000||article of at least 50 words|
|4||Wikipedia feature article||1 in last one year||1||2||4||article of all quality|
|5||wikisource new pages||2000/month||7500||15000||30000||page creation with ocr|
|6||Wikisource proofread pages||150/month||500||1000||2500||pages with no mistakes|
|7||wikisource transcluding book||1/month||4||8||16||books fully completed|
|8||wikibooks pages||5/month||60||120||250||this will proper chapter pages|
|9||wikibook feature book||0/month||1||2||4||completed book|
|10||Wiktionary page format correction||0/month||3000||6000||12000||page created in right wiktionary stile|
|11||wikiversity lecture||0/month||30||70||150||class lecture creation in proper way|
|12||active editor on whole Hindi wiki||1500/month||1600||1650||1700||who have at lease 1 edit in a month|
Venue and LogisticsEdit
- 1. If the venue is more than 1 hour away from a major airport or transportation hub, how will participants travel to the event venue?
- the conference venue is New Delhi, the Capital of India and the hotel where the conference will take place is within 1 hour to the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
- 2. Is the event venue within walking distance from the hotel? If not, how will people travel between the two locations?
- Most probably The event venue will be in the same hotel where the participants will be hosted. If it Will be in any academic institution participant Will given public transport passes.
- 3. Is the event venue and hotel accessible for people with physical disabilities?
- 4. Do you anticipate any challenges with using the space for the event you are planning?
Friendly space policyEdit
Please link to the friendly space policy that your community will be using for this event.
- The friendly space policy for Wikimedia Foundation events will be used for this event.
It is crucial that most participants have a minimum level of Wikimedia experience so that they can engage actively in workshops and discussions. Please answer all applicable questions below.
- 1. Please describe the target audience for this conference or event.
- The continuously Active and experienced Hindi Wikimedians, with special focus on the new and younger contributors of Hindi Wikipedia and sister projects.
- 2. If your conference has an outreach component, how will you ensure engagement with these participants after the conference, and what impact do you see them having on the projects?
- We will form working groups during the conference for any outreach project that comes up, and we will also form a "Follow-up Committee" which will coordinate these working groups through Village Pump discussions.
- 3. Are you thinking about inviting WMF staff to attend or participate in the event? If yes, please list individuals or teams who you may want to invite, or describe how you would like WMF staff to be involved in the event.
- We would like to have WMF staff members attend the event. List and how they will be involved will be developed when finalizing the program.
- 1. How many scholarships would you like to offer?
- 24 where 50% will for new participents
- 2. What expenses will the scholarship cover?
- Round-trip travel + Accommodation + meals + local tour.
- 3. How will scholarship recipients be selected?
- The recipients of the scholarship will be selected by the scholarship committee based on a clear defined and transparent criteria taking into account of The involvement of the candidate in the Wikimedia movement and Wikimedia projects and within their communities to promote Wikimedia projects.
A scholarship form will be published and shared via different communication channels ( villege pump, mailing lists, social media channels, conference page on meta and user group). Wikimedians will be invited to submit their scholarship applications.
Resources and risksEdit
Describe the resource potential for successfully executing this project and the key risks/threats.
- Organizing team
|WMF Liaison||संजीव कुमार|
|Conference Program||संजीव कुमार |
अजीत कुमार तिवारी
|Volunteer Coordinators||नीलम |
सौरभ तिवारी 05
- Timing: Looks like there is too short a time for planning. the organizers have done most of the ground work and logistics are properly in place.
- Funding: if project approval and fund disbursement will not happened on time we might be in difficult condition. We have remaining amount from previous conference which can be used in earlier flite booking and hotel advance payment just after approval of project.
- Small volunteer base: Due to the less volunteers to aid in organizing this conference, we anticipate that timing may be an issue. We are taking assistance from other cities volunteers mostly on on line work for reducing local volunteer works.
- Event budget table
|Bill No. 1: Preliminaries and General||Qty||Rate in INR||Total (INR)||Total (US Dollars)||Remarks|
|1.1||Telecom and Internet Cost for 3 month||8||497||3,976.00||56||Telephone calls and Internet cost for LOC members for planning of the event|
|1.2||awareness meetup and contest||3||21300||63,900.00||900||Meetups in three major city and on line contest for awareness|
|1.3||Project Management (Postage cost, T&T for meetings, food during meetings, etc.)||4||1,775.00||7,100.00||100||This item will focus on every activities involve in the planning of the event eg. Periodic meeting, Control, Executing, Refreshment, Logistics etc|
|TOTAL BILL Number 1||74,976.00||1,056.00|
|Bill No. 2: Conference Days including scholarship||Qty||Rate in INR||Total (INR)||Total (US Dollars)||Remarks|
|2.1||Venue and Conference rooms||3||31,950.00||95,850.00||1350||Conference rooms/$450/ each day for 3 days|
|2.2||Lunch ( Buffet) and high tea||120||1,420.00||170,400.00||2400||Lunch ( Buffet) and high tea ($20/person) for 40 person for 3days|
|2.3||travell including Flights||24||10,011.00||240,264.00||3384||travell including Flights (Average cost) @ 141 USD/ person ( Cap)|
|2.4||Accommodation (for 3 days)||12||21,300.00||255,600.00||3600||$50 USD/participant/day, one room shair by at least 2 participent|
|2.5||Customized T-shirt, bags, Event badges etc.||40||1,065.00||42,600.00||600||T-shirt, bags, badges etc for 40 participants and volunteers|
|2.6||printing materials||1||39,050.00||39,050.00||550||pamphlet, poster, proceeding etc. printing cost|
|2.7||outreach activity||1||28,400.00||28,400.00||400||travel, food etc.|
|2.8||post conference monthly review meetups for 3 month||3||9,940.00||29,820.00||420||This item will focus on every activities involve in the post event revew and report prepration eg. Periodic meeting, Control, Executing, Refreshment, Logistics etc|
|TOTAL BILL Number 2||901,984.00||12,704.00|
|PROJECT BILL OF QUANTITIES PRICE SUMMARY PAGE||Total in Dollars (USD)|
|1||BILL NO. 1: PRELIMINARY & GENERAL||1,056.00|
|2||Bill No. 2: Conference Days including scholarship||12,704.00|
|3||INCIDENTAL COST & CONTINGENCIES||500.00|
- Total cost of event
- $14,260/ USD
- Total amount requested from the Conference and Event Grants program
- $14,260/ USD
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this event, and amounts funded
- Please confirm that you are aware that changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Do you think this project should be selected for a Conference Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Support --Muzammil (talk) 17:48, 11 September 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support --Ashok Talk 16:18, 12 September 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support -- Ahmed Nisar (talk) 05:38, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support- Yes, I believe that this event will bring new life for dead projects. It will be also useful for capacity building such as training new tools. Training of such tools of wiki project will not be possible online.नीलम (talk) 09:02, 13 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support -- this will be the Third annual hindi wiki conference in a row! Innocentbunny TALK 12:13, 15 September 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support Nilesh shukla (talk) 12:34, 15 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support -- Raju Jangid (talk) 10:26, 16 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support -- Shypoetess (talk) 10:05, 8 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support --शिखर तिवारी (talk) 12:22, 18 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support --हृषिकेश कुमार सिंह (talk) 07:59, 19 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support --Sushma Sharma (talk) 08:37, 19 September 2019 (UTC)
- Support --अजीत कुमार तिवारी (talk) 05:21, 3 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support - Much needed conference for continuity. --AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 17:30, 4 October 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support --I strongly support such initiative as it's give the chance to community members to speak, collaborate, know's what other community members are doing, scope to exchange learning and experiences.Rajeeb (talk!) 19:34, 3 October 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support --सौरभ तिवारी 05 (talk) 13:19, 12 October 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support -- निधिलता तिवारी (talk) 13:25, 12 October 2019 (UTC)
- Support Nawaraj Ghimire (talk) 10:15, 15 October 2019 (UTC)
- Strong support-- कन्हाई प्रसाद चौरसिया (talk) ११:२१, १६ फ़रवरी २०२० (UTC)