Gender gap strategy
Wikimedia's gender gap has been well-documented and increasing diversity is an area of concern for the Wikimedia movement. Our aim here is to build a collective and coherent strategy for addressing the gender gap as a movement.
This page builds on several strategic meetings:
- In July 2013, a small group of WMF staff and volunteers met in San Francisco to brainstorm and prioritize ideas for addressing the gender gap.
- In November 2013, a larger group of volunteers convened in Berlin for Diversity Conference, and generated a roundup of best practices and ideas.
- In August 2014, a Gender Gap strategy workshop was held at Wikimania. This workshop was hosted by 2 Wikipedians and 3 WMF staffers, and attended by ~40 Wikimedians. Workshop participants took the list of top ideas from both 2013 events, and prioritized them into key initiatives to focus on. This page lists the top 7 key initiatives that attendees agreed they would like to prioritize and work on.
A movement-wide gender gap strategy needs your help to improve and shape future priorities as well as execute on the initiatives that have been prioritized so far.
Ways to get involved:
- Sign up for a team and start collaborating on a project
- Sign up to lead a team and start planning and coordinating
- Add more ideas if you feel something is missing, or give feedback on existing ideas on the talk page
- Share this page with your fellow Wikimedians, friends, and colleagues!
Initiative 1: Thematic edit-a-thonsEdit
Planning page : Thematic edit-a-thons
Organize edit-a-thon series based around women-specific content and reach out to women for participation.
- User:Keilana (Emily Temple-Wood)
- Netha Hussain (talk) 18:44, 2 October 2014 (UTC)
- C.Koltzenburg (talk) (Claudia)
- add your name here!
Initiative 2: ToolkitsEdit
Planning Page: Toolkits
Better tools to talk about the gender gap.
Initiative 3: More friendly-space policiesEdit
Planning Page: Friendly spaces
Ensure there are friendly-space policies for all Wikimedia spaces and that those policies are enforced.
- add your project here!
- Kirill Lokshin
- add your name here!
Initiative 4: Gender gap grants campaignEdit
Planning Page: Gender gap grants campaign
Run an "Inspire Grants" campaign to proactively solicit grant requests addressing the gender gap.
Initiative 5: Conferences and meetupsEdit
Planning Page: Conferences and meetups
More conferences and meetings focused on diversity and women-specific issues.
- The women month- WMAR (being planed with UNESCO and other women organization. The activities will take part during March)
- Charting diversity: Working together towards diversity in Wikipedia; blogpost
- Additional Initiatives: See more initiatives that are under discussion, but de-prioritized for 2014/2015 due to lack of team leads/members.
- Gender gap strategy 2013
- Grants:IdeaLab/Inspire Grants – Gender gap campaign