Executive Directors Group
Who we areEdit
We are Executive Directors (EDs) of Wikimedia organizations who are here to share our experiences and learn from each other.
Specifically we work together to:
- Share our learning and build capacity within the Wikimedia movement and our communities.
- Provide support to new members and affiliates by mentoring and sharing best practices with the aim of building a more diverse movement.
- Build networks of mutual cooperation, support and trust.
- Design bilateral or multilateral projects to foster cooperation between Wikimedia chapters and communities.
- Work in a coordinated manner for the development and growth of the global Wikimedia movement.
How do we workEdit
We apply several methods to keep our group active and ensure work effectiveness:
- We hold one hour online meetings every 6 weeks, which we take turns in hosting, based on a collectively developed agenda.
- Face to face meetings: We try to meet at least once a year – often around international conferences such as Wikimedia Summit or Wikimania – to discuss more strategic issues, share best practices and common challenges, work on our capacity building and address key movement issues.
- We have a mailing list, which we use to discuss questions and share information in between the calls and meetings.
How we can helpEdit
- Sharing best practices and processes, as well as hurdles and failures
- Helping to build governance structures, particularly for affiliates with paid staff
- Supporting the development of effective operational structures and policies
- Supporting recruitment of affiliate staff, particularly new Executive Directors
- Mentoring new staff
- Helping to set up and build organisations
- Designing programs, activities and impact
- Conflict resolution and mediation
- Building networks of cooperation
- Fundraising strategies
- Leadership development
Who are we?Edit
Wikimedia Argentina – Anna Torres Adell
Wikimedia Armenia – Gayane Vardanyan
Art+Feminism - Kira Wisniewski
Wikimedia Austria – Claudia Garád
Wikimedia Czech Republic – Klára Joklová
Wikimedia France – Remy Gerbet
Wikimedia Germany – Abraham Taherivand
Wikimedia Israel – Michal Lester
Wikimedia Netherlands – Sandra Rientjes
Wikimedia Norway – Astrid Carlsen
Wikimedia Sweden – John Andersson
Wikimedia Switzerland – Jenny Ebermann
Wikimedia UK – Lucy Crompton Reid
Who can joinEdit
Anyone who works as an Executive Director in an affiliate of the Wikimedia movement. If this position does not exist within the organization, any paid staff who exercises similar responsibilities, such as managing staff, grants/budgets and programs.
How to contact or joinEdit
You can reach out to us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org