Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Wikidata/Freely editable input mask
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: Very often there is a need to create new Items of a similar kind, series of Items. For example a roster of team members, works by an artist or so on. This is actually only possibe, when I create for every Item from the beginning a new Item, where I have to do it alway from the beginning. This needs a relly long time. Or I have to use external helpers and concepts, so Google or Excel. Even this is time robbing.
- Who would benefit: All contributors to Wikidata, who need to create similar items in a row.
- Proposed solution: Magnus Manske already created Cradle. This is nearly exactly what is needed - problem: after the first few days there are problems with saving the new items. So here would be an input mask for ancient potters and vase painters. Here for a single piece of ancient pottery. This must be imlemented in the normal Wikidata structure. Every user must can create their own masks - as much masks they need for use and reuse.
- More comments:
- Phabricator tickets:
- I believe we need something as "create as" or "create like" having the possibility to duplicate Labels, Descriptions, and Statements from another similar entity in a controlled way without the risk of creating rubbish content. I often do this already now but completely manual, which is taking a lot of time and effort. Geert Van Pamel (WMBE) (talk) 10:56, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
- Another problem is duplicating e.g. the name of a person in all languages. The name of a person generally is language independent. When the name of a person is already entered for one language it must not be overwritten. When the name of a person is unavailable in one language it cannot be searched (in that language). Geert Van Pamel (WMBE) (talk) 10:56, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
- I had exactly the same request. The current stucture is very versatile but not always the most user-friendly nor the most efficient. At least not at the same level of what dedicated data models forms could provide. In example, for alloys, alloying elements have to be specified adding "has part" property then "Chromium" (i.e.) item and then adding the qualifier "Proportion", then adding the numerical value and then adding the unit... Seriously... With a dedicated form you just choose the element and write numerical value. When you have alloys with 10+ elements you save a trendemous amount of time. Not saying that newcomers will immediately understand how to deal with this type of form while they would have no idea on how to do it unless they find the materials project page and read everything. This type of dedicated form has the potential to greatly enhance the contributions to Wikidata by empowering current users and easing the adoption by new users. --Thibdx (talk) 23:54, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
- What is wrong with d:WD:QuickStatements? --Izno (talk) 01:44, 6 November 2018 (UTC)
- QuickStatements is an "external" tool which has its own merits, and potential risks; what we want here is something internal to the main Wikidata Web GUI, that allows to create new "similar" data items based on a chosen item profile which lists typical properties with default values. And a constraint violation technique (or warning) to prevent "mass" creation of duplicate items/statements. Geert Van Pamel (WMBE) (talk) 10:12, 8 November 2018 (UTC)
- User:Marcus Cyron, what do you mean with "after the first few days there are problems with saving the new items"?
- Hi. As I wrote, there's nothing more behind it. For two days or so, Cradle worked very well, but since then it did not safe the data. You can work on Cradle, put everything on the sheet - but in the moment you wanna safe it, it did not safe. At first it helps to go from Firefox to Chrome - but also two days later I tinh it was also not longer able to safe. And this not only for me. But what Magnus has shown it, that it definetly would work. Marcus Cyron (talk) 06:41, 9 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support HHill (talk) 21:35, 16 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 04:19, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Libcub (talk) 11:41, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support ديفيد عادل وهبة خليل 2 (talk) 11:47, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Thibdx (talk) 00:21, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Eingangskontrolle (talk) 11:31, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Beat Estermann (talk) 16:46, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Sabas88 (talk) 09:21, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Geert Van Pamel (WMBE) (talk) 13:46, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Geraki TL 13:58, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Toto256 (talk) 06:47, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Vulphere 12:53, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Ecritures (talk) 20:10, 20 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Laboramus (talk) 07:38, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Geogast (talk) 13:35, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 15:13, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Gce (talk) 17:35, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support BugWarp (talk) 22:21, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Sannita - not just another it.wiki sysop 00:36, 24 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Wuselig (talk) 11:39, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Ranjithsiji (talk) 22:27, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Gideoraielgave (talk) 17:15, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Olea (talk) 21:29, 29 November 2018 (UTC)