Community Wishlist Survey 2019/Mobile and apps/Make copy/paste functions easier tablets and phones
The survey has concluded. Here are the results!
- Problem: it’s quite a pain to copy/paste on iPads/tablets and phones. Most of the time, you have to scroll through everything to select and copy them, and it’s quite painful especially if they’re modules. This technique takes longer and sometimes causes the devices to freeze and the browsers to crash. It would be amazing to have a button that would automatically select and copy the content of the templates/modules installed by default.
- Who would benefit: everyone who uses phones and tablets to contribute
- Proposed solution: add a button that automatically selects and copies the content of the mentioned pages.
- More comments: There is a a Mobile Copying and Pasting discussion topic at MediaWiki, created by Whatamidoing (WMF).
- Phabricator tickets:
- Proposer: ▸ épine talk♬ 10:44, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
@Épine: Could you please explain why you have to copy and paste the content of a page so often on tablets or phones? I'd love to understand better the underlying problem to solve. --AKlapper (WMF) (talk) 00:48, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
- @AKlapper (WMF): when moving modules and templates to smaller wikis, it is necessary to copy from the source obviously. I contribute to multiple projects and the issue is site-wide.--▸ épine talk♬ 08:49, 5 November 2018 (UTC)
- Obviously this is a problem faced by mobile users, and yes I am typing this using my phone. FYI, I written DYKs using phone. Copying can be a hassle, especially for major editing of articles or even AFD where sometimes multiple articles are nominated with the same reason but not bundled together and the interface really makes it a chore to copy your rationale multiple time. However, I don't think this is a site issue but rather hardware issue, your mobile phone OS does play a role in the ease of copy and paste. My 2 cents.--Cohaf (talk) 19:36, 16 November 2018 (UTC)
The main problem I have is with scrolling while editing. Sometimes the whole page scrolls instead of only the edit box, which makes editing frustrating! Sometimes I have to switch to desktop view just to complete an edit. Erzahler (talk) 23:55, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Liuxinyu970226 (talk) 09:13, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support ديفيد عادل وهبة خليل 2 (talk) 10:48, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support JogiAsad (talk) 18:21, 17 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Мурад 97 (talk) 11:28, 18 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support I support this. The mobile apps should match functionality of the desktop version. Simonjon (talk) 09:59, 19 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Novak Watchmen (talk) 01:45, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Tris T7 (talk) 02:32, 21 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support See my comment in previous session. User:ErzahlerErzahler (talk) 23:58, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support not sure of this as i didn't use tablets before, but i agree copy paste needs to be easy :) Gryllida 07:18, 23 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support I think mobile copy-and-paste can be improved in a number of ways, but this will help. FeRDNYC (talk) 05:43, 25 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support PMG (talk) 17:06, 26 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Linguistical (talk) 13:55, 27 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Daniel Case (talk) 18:10, 28 November 2018 (UTC)
- Support Ldorfman (talk) 20:26, 29 November 2018 (UTC)