Cascadia Wikimedians/2021 report
Activities and impact reportEdit
No in-person events in 2021Edit
Following the WMF Foundations COVID-19 information and COVID-19 Risk Assessment protocols, Cascadia Wikimedians decided to forgo any in-person meetings in 2021.
In 2021, as a Wikimedian community that typically would meet in person via meetups and edit-a-thons, the Cascadia Wikimedians has continued to curtail most activities due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This has dampened our activities. At least one of our most active members did contract and survive COVID-19.
We are planning an hybrid annual meeting for June 2022. We expect to resume in-person meetings for the Seattle meetup in May 2022.
- WikiConference North America 2021
- Cascadia Wikimedia participated in planning sessions since January 2021
- Cascadia Wikimedia participated in and was one of the contacts for the WNCA 2021 grand proposal, which was funded
- Peaceray prepared for and presented on four different topics at the conference.[note 1]
- Peaceray attended WikidataCon 2021
- Participated in "LibGuides: Writing Black History of the Pacific Northwest into Wikipedia - Editathon 2021". guides.library.oregonstate.edu. 2021-01-19. Archived from the original on 2021-03-29.
Inter-affiliate web conferencingEdit
- Strategic Wikimedia Affiliates Network
- Movement Charter/Affiliates by Region/North America affiliate selection workshop (North America) — a workshop to support North American affiliate participation in the Movement Charter Drafting Committee Set Up Process.
- Wikimedia Movement Strategy: Co-Creation Workshop on the concept of Hubs (November 27, 2021)
Highlighted individual on-wiki participationEdit
- Bri continues as a prolific English Wikipedia editor and of the The Signpost editors.
- Jmabel is an administrator and prolific editor on Commons.
- Peaceray continues in page patrol/anti-vandalism, welcoming, and citation improvements within English Wikipedia. In Spring 2021, Peaceray coordinated a sub-campaign that targeted living European centenarians for the Women in Europe contest | Apr-May-June 2021.
- SounderBruce continues as a prolific English Wikipedia editor. A local newspaper recently wrote about SounderBruce: "Meet Marysville’s Wikipedia workhorse". HeraldNet.com. 2022-03-20.
There has been no financial activity for the past year.
We did not hold our annual membership meeting in 2021, largely due to the fatigue due to pandemic. Instead we concentrated our efforts listed above. We are in the process of planning a membership meeting to be held online this June to elect additional board members and appoint officers. Last year's officers continue to serve in an acting capacity until our June 2022 board meeting.
- Content translation tool tutorial
- How to tie together Commons, Wikidata, and possibly Wikipedia by using :commons:Special:SuggestedTags
- How Do the Top Ten Languages in North America Fare on Their Wikipedias?
- Submissions:2021/What is the coverage of the 30 most spoken North American indigenous languages in Wikipedia?