|Main page||Budget||Kannada||Odia||Marathi||Telugu||Bridging Gender Gap||Global Engagement||Skill Building|
CIS-A2K has been working with Wikimedians from the Kannada Community from 2012 and has always been thankful for their support, timely feedback and interventions regarding the health of the community. CIS-A2K, under its revamped work strategy, introduced the 'Program Associate' position during the last plan period in order to work closely with the community. For many reasons(lack of communication, the absence of trust among community members, etc.), this arrangement did not prove to be useful and CIS-A2K had to discontinue the role of Program Associate for Kannada language Wikimedia projects.
The discontinuation of the services of program staff did result in a dip in the total number of activities conducted for/by the Kannada community. However, the Kannada community on its own has been extremely active and has anchored diverse events such as edit-a-thons, photo-walks, gender gap bridging initiatives among others. It must also be noted that few active users of the Kannada community hailing from the coastal region of Karnataka have come together and formed a User Group for further outreach and community strengthening initiatives.
CIS-A2K looks forward to working with the Karavali Wikimedian User Group during the upcoming proposal year as it would be able to collaborate with Wikimedians from four languages (Kannada, Tulu, Konkani, and Malayalam). This opportunity provides CIS-A2K a chance to bridge idea platforms across Indic language communities and enable multilingual collaborative projects.
As explained above, due to the conflict that has arisen between the community members and Program Staff of A2K, many activities were rescheduled or canceled. This has definitely positively affected the growth of Kannada Wikimedia projects. To understand and to recover from the setback, A2K team decided to do a community consultation. A2K team circulated a questionnaire comprising of 11 questions framed in Kannada (the English version of these questions can be found here). The questions sought the opinion of active Kannada community members on topics ranging from the utilization of resources (financial and non-financial), conflict resolution, evaluation, learning methodologies and innovative practices. A2K team members also reached out to the community members by requesting a face-to-face meeting to discuss these issues and conduct the consultation.
The work plan for Kannada Wikimedia activities has been drafted after taking into consideration the feedback, suggestions, and criticism offered by the community members.
The current work plan for the Kannada Wikimedia projects has been drafted keeping in mind three factors:
- Fractured relationship with community members: Due to a series of unfortunate events, Kannada community members had a disagreement with the A2K designated Community Advocate. These differences could not be sorted out easily and after the removal of CA A2K's intervention in Kannada community has come down drastically. This work plan primarily aims to restore the earlier camaraderie and collaborative trust that existed.
A2K intends to support the newly formed Karavali Wikimedians Group in all aspects of their operation and would provide necessary help related to policy guidelines, admin activities, logistics and resources as and when required. A2K's effort is towards making this user group sustainable will contribute to a stable and focused Wikimedia movement in the Coastal region of Karnataka and may well become a best practice for other user groups.
- Repeated requests for Skill Building initiatives: A2K considers these requests a healthy sign, indicative of the progress of the community. By requesting advance technical training sessions, Kannada and Tulu Wikimedians are emerging as strong leaders for their communities. A2K has also received requests for localizing and conducting need-based mini Train-The-Trainer and MediaWiki Training sessions. In our proposed work plan, focus will be given to conducting skill development activities at all levels.
- Monitoring the quality of WEP initiative: It has been brought to A2K's notice that students taking part in the WEP initiative have often vandalised the landing page of Kannada Wikipedia and Kannada Wikisource. While the ever-vigilant community members have reverted the edits, it is a challenge and an unnecessary risk for the community members. The A2K team has devised a strategy to monitor the activities of student Wikipedians more closely to prevent such mishaps. The A2K team will be offering internships to committed and interested student Wikimedians to continue working with Wikimedia projects after the WEP engagement is over. During the internships, these student Wikimedians will ensure the quality of the content that shall be made live. The A2K team is also working towards increasing the Campus Ambassador to Students ratio for better communication and speedy troubleshooting.
CIS-A2K will be working with the Kannada community members to strengthen the existing activities that we have initiated during the last program period. As a strategy, A2K team will work in the following areas to increase reach and contribute to global metrics:
- Skill Building Initiatives
- WEP Initiatives
- GLAM related activities
- Activities that will contribute to the Global movement and best practices.
Supporting Community leadership
Skill Building Initiatives
Wikipedia Education Program(WEP)
Content Enrichment Activities
GLAM Related Activities
Along with the above-mentioned activities, A2K would also be taking active part in the global GLAM events such as WLM, WLE and WLF and providing necessary support to Kannada Wikimedia community members.
Collaborating and Contributing with Global Best Practices: As a new initiative A2K has charted a Global Engagement plan and Kannada community will also be taking part in this initiative.
Global Metrics targetsEdit
|Value Of bytes deleted||45,000|
|Metric||Skill-developement initiatives||Wikipedia Education programme(WEP)||Content Enrichment Activities||GLAM Related Activities|
|Supporting Community leadership||Skill Building Initiatives|
|Value of bytes deleted||45,000|
CIS-A2K team would like to establish that the Community Advocate hired to implement Kannada Wikimedia project work plan shall be directly reporting to the Kannada community regarding all activities, initiatives, and programs. It would be the responsibility of the A2K team to provide necessary support (financial, nonfinancial, logistics, institutional support among others)to the Community Advocate in order to make these events successful and for them to have a long-term impact for the community members.
CIS-A2K would be requesting a senior community member from the Kannada Wikimedia Projects to supervise the activities of the Kannada Community Advocate. In addition to a quarterly audit of the CA's work, she/he is expected to submit a monthly report on the Village Pump for the benefit of the community.
CIS-A2K team would also like to support activities that will be conducted by the Karavali Wikimedians User Group.
- Gaining the trust of the Kannada community
- Appointing a Community Advocate
- Lack of volunteer base, movement resources, and conducive environment for Wikimedia-related activities across Karnataka