Grants:APG/Proposals/2016-2017 round 2/The Centre for Internet and Society/Proposal form
If you need to review the edit instructions you will find them in the edit intro.
- Use this form if you are eligible to submit a proposal in the current round, to request funding in the current round.
- This form must be published on Meta by the proposal submission date for each round to be considered, and no changes may be made after the submission date without staff approval.
- This form complements your organization's annual plan, detailed budget, and strategic plan. It won't be considered complete without a detailed budget and strategic plan.
- Organizations may apply for a funding period that does not exactly match their fiscal years. Follow the instructions carefully to understand what time period each question refers to.
- Refer to the framework, guidance from the Board, and the FDC's recommendations before using this form, so you have an understanding of the Annual Plan Grants process.
- Please Email FDCSupport@Wikimedia.org with questions about using the form.
A few terms used in the form:
FDC proposal form terms Wikimedia terms Learning & Evaluation terms
- 1. In order to support community review, please provide a brief description of your organization's work in the upcoming funding period.
In keeping with our mission to catalyze the growth of Indic Wikimedia communities, CIS-A2K puts forward a proposal having holistically incorporated the suggestions of the communities and the movement strategy of the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF). This proposal has been shaped by the feedback received during staff assessment of last year's proposal plan and FDC suggestions. This year, we plan to expand on our flagship programs such as Train-The-Trainer and MediaWiki Training (Wiki Technical Training) that aim to groom community and technical leadership across Indic Wikimedia communities. We endeavour to take a pan-Indian approach this year that brings Indic Wikimedians together. A2K believes that such an intervention of ideas and knowledge exchange platforms is the next big idea that Indian Wikimedia communities should be investing in. It would be our attempt to kick-start these activities in our Focus and non- Focus Language Areas with efficient follow-up mechanisms.
The A2K Request page is a one all-inclusive support structure that caters to all the needs of the communities and attempts to share the idea/program and learnings amongst the other Indic communities. In extensive consultations with community members, we have acknowledged the scope we hold for improvement of our work with each passing year. Even as we leverage our unique position in the free knowledge movement to enable global knowledge transfer, provide robust technical support and expand the footprint of the free knowledge movement in Indian language Wikipedias, we focus the core of our work as always at the community level through:
Content Enrichment Activities
|Skill Building Activities
A2K team in alignment to the WMF vision and our strategic plan will be engaging in the following verticals (in alphabetical order):
These verticals of work will contribute towards Content Enrichment Activities, Skill Building Initiatives, Institutional partnerships and WEP Initiatives and GLAM activities that are described in detail in the proposal plan.
- 2. Name, fiscal year, and funding period.
- Legal name of organization: The Centre for Internet and Society
- Organization's fiscal year: 1 April – 31 March
- 12-month funding period requested: 1 July 2017 – 30 June 2018
- Currency requested: Indian Rupees (INR)
- Name of primary contact: Tanveer Hasan
- 3. Amount requested.
|Total expenses for the upcoming year||12,454,000||186,810|
|APG funding requested for the upcoming year||12,000.000||180,000|
|Amount of funding received from WMF for the current year||10,500,000||153,148.07|
- 4. How does your organization know what community members and contributors to online projects need or want? Does your organization conduct needs assessments or consult the contributors and volunteers most involved with its work?
- CIS-A2K strongly believes in the value of the Wikimedia movement that the community is "the biggest asset". CIS-A2K regularly conducts need-assessment surveys and provides special attention towards the suggestions and feedback of the community members. CIS-A2K conducts both online and offline surveys and tries to stay in constant touch with the community. In order to actively engage with the community members, CIS-A2K regularly responds to the feedback and concerns put forth by the community members.
- CIS-A2K has appointed Community Advocates for its Focus Language Areas in order to keep a finger on the pulse of the community and pay due attention to the specific requirements of the community. In addition to understanding the needs of the community, they are tasked with the responsibility of strategizing how best to address these concerns. They then propose the potential solutions on the Village Pump of the respective language Wikipedias for gathering consensus on the same. CIS-A2K attempts to incorporate and accommodate the suggestions of the community members. This is not only to ensure the democratization of the process but also to involve the community members at every step of the planning and implementation process.
- CIS-A2K also maintains a Requests page which actively encourages individuals and communities to request support for projects and communities related to Indic language Wikimedia. In order to bring about tangible impact of the needs of the community members, this year, we aim to narrow down on the specific technical needs of the community with the creation of a Technical Requests page. This page is dedicated to addressing the technical requests of the Indic language communities throughout the year. CIS-A2K hopes that a page devoted to addressing technical challenges would enable the speedy fixing of bugs, unresolved errors and other problems that are faced by the communities. In addition to this, our Global Engagement initiative for this year proposes a Wikmedia Deutschland inspired Technical Wishes session at our flagship MediaWiki Training event where community members would get to directly interact with technical experts from international Wikimedia chapters and affiliates.
- 5. Please provide a link to your organization's strategic plan, and a link to your separate annual plans for the current and upcoming funding periods if you have them.
Completed fiscal year Current year Upcoming year Annual plan (including budget) July 2015 to June 2016 plan July 2016 to June 2017 plan July 2017 to June 2018 Community discussion around annual plan See here See here See here Annual report (including financial report) See here Not required. Not required. Strategic plan CIS-A2K/Work plan July 2015 - June 2016 July 2016 to June 2017 plan CIS-A2K/Strategic plan June 2016 - July 2018
Financials: current yearEdit
The purpose of this section is to give the FDC an idea of how your organization is receiving funds and spending funds toward your current plan. Your current funding period is the funding period now in progress (e.g. 1 January 2016 to 31 December 2016 for most organizations).
Financials for the current funding period Revenues or expenses Planned (budgeted) Actual, until one month before the proposal due date Projected Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Currency requested US dollars Revenues (from all sources) 6,272,045
INR 10,700,000 
Programs: upcoming year's annual planEdit
This section is about your organization's programs. A program is a defined set of activities that share the same objectives and a similar theory of change. Please share the general goal of each program, and then list the specific objectives that the program will meet. Please do not include information about your organization's operating activities in this section. You may provide information about activities like administration, staff and board training, fundraising, governance, and internal IT in another section or in a supplementary document, but please do not include these activities here as programs.
- 1. For each program, and overall
- Include targets for each of the three shared measures for each program, and overall. If one or more of these required metrics are not relevant to any of your programs, please consult your program officer.
- Also choose at least two grantee-defined metrics to highlight in this section, and include targets for each of these grantee-defined metrics for each program, and overall. (Other program-specific metrics may be included in your program objectives, in the detailed program sections below.)
- Participants: The number of people who attend your events, programs or activities, either in person or virtually. This definition does not include people organizing activities, social media followers, donors, or others not participating directly.
- Newly registered: The number of participants that create new accounts on a Wikimedia project. These include users who register up to two weeks before the start of the event.
- Content pages: A content page is an article on Wikipedia, an item on Wikidata, a content page on Wikisource, an entry on Wiktionary, and a media file on Commons, etc. This metric captures the total number of content pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects.
1. Footprint Tracker: A2K team would like to track the number of outreach events (no one time activity will be included) that are organised by Indic Wikimedians with our support. It is essential that Indic WIkimedians devise programs, consultations and community meet-ups and outreach events that spread awareness related to Wikimedia projects. This metric will also be able to provide useful insights as to support garnered for Wikimedia projects by local bodies and interest shown by communities. Further this metric will help in devising efficient follow-up mechanisms and will avoid 'reinventing the wheel' regarding social events and needs assessment. A2K team would only count one footprint per city per project irrespective of the frequency of follow-up event or multiple venues for the event. This metric would utilise the geograpical distribution of Wikimedians in India and also provide an excellent opportunity for participants of TTT to expand the reach of Wikimedia projects in their communities.
2. Value of Bytes deleted: Increasing quality of articles and number of articles that have quality content has always been a priority for the A2K team. Our earlier WEP initiatives have been criticised by community members for addition of irrelevant and low quality content on to Wikimedia projects. As a learning from our the feedback received by the community and embracing a best practice of Telugu community A2K team will invest in improving the existing content on our Focus language projects. The deleting of data will be done after consultation of the community and only with the approval of the community. A2K would not be deleting any of the exisiting content but would initially work towards improving the article/content and only after attempts to improve the quality of the content have not yielded sufficient result will the deletion activity be suggested to the community members (for example tagging for deletion, prioritizing activity, Proofreading, etc.,).
|Value of bytes deleted||3,583,120|
|Metric||Kannada||Odia||Marathi||Telugu||Bridging Gender Gap initiatives||Global Engagement||Skill Building initiatives|
|Value of bytes deleted||3,583,120 bytes|
|Value of Bytes Deleted|
- 2. Please list your goals and objectives for each program. Please be sure your objectives meet all three criteria for each program
- The objectives listed are each SMART: specific, measurable, attainable and relevant, and include time-bound targets.
- Include both qualitative targets and quantitative targets, and remember to highlight your baseline metrics.
- Provide any additional information that is important to our understanding of this program. For example, you may include needs assessments, logic models, timelines, tables, or charts. Share how this program will contribute more broadly to movement learning, or explain how your program aligns with important Wikimedia priorities such as increasing participation and improving content on the Wikimedia projects.
Content Enrichment Activities
Skill Building Activities
Staff and contractors: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Please describe your organization's staffing plan or strategy here, and provide a link to your organization's staffing plan or organogram if you have one.
- CIS-A2K appoints employees based on program need, and community suggestion/consultation. CIS-A2K would like to appoint a Community Advocate for Kannada Wikimedia project works. CIS-A2K would also work with an intern/staff for our Bridging Gender Gap project. The appointment of Community Advocate for Kannada Wikimedia projects will be done after consultation with Kannada Wikimedia Community.
- 2. List of staff by department or function.
- You can use this table (or substitute your own list) to show us the number of FTEs (fulltime equivalents) for each department or function, where one person working at 100% time would be counted as 1.0. We need this information about the total number of staff (FTEs) you plan to have by the end of the current funding period, and staff you plan to have by the end of the upcoming funding period.
FTEs Department or function End of current funding period End of upcoming funding period Explanation of changes Program Director 1 1 Sunil Abraham, the Executive Director of the Centre for Internet and Society, will remain our Program Director Program Manager 1 1 Tanveer Hasan will take the responsibility of Program Manager this year Sr. Program Officer 1 1 Program Officer 1 2 Community Advocates 4 5 Other than the 4 current Community Advocate (CA), we expect to hire one CA for Kannada community Intern 1 1 For bridging gender gap research. Total (should equal the sum of the rows): 9 11 1 Kannada Language community advocate, and 1 intern to be hired
Table 4 notes or explanation of significant changes:
- 3. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the current funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- 6,838,792.56(INR) or 102,581.88(USD)
- 4. How much does your organization plan to spend on staff by the end of the upcoming funding period, in currency requested and US dollars?
- We expect that CIS-A2K's staff costs, during the work plan year 2017-2018, will be around: 3,865,512.1 INR or 57,982.68 USD
This is the organizational structure of the CIS-A2K team. It serves to reflect:
- That while the work is structured as such, work of the team comes from the community;
- Impact of staff transition and subsequent change in staffing strategy;
- Re-shaping the allocation of funds
It is to be noted that this is not a work flow chart that describes the work(consultation, implementation, et al) of the community advocates or any of the other team members.
Financials: upcoming yearEdit
Detailed budget: upcoming yearEdit
- Please link to your organization's detailed budget showing planned revenues and expenses for the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017). This may be a document included on this Wiki (Meta) or a publicly available spreadsheet.
- Please see the detailed budget for CIS-A2K's 2016-2017 work plan here.
Revenues: upcoming yearEdit
Please use this table to list your organization's anticipated revenues (income, or the amount your organization is bringing in) by revenue source (where the revenue is coming from) in the upcoming funding period (e.g. 1 January 2017 to 31 December 2017).
- Use the status column to show if this funding is already guaranteed, if you are in the process of requesting funding, or if you are planning to request funding at a later time.
- Please include in-kind donations and resources in this table, as applicable, and use the status column to show that they are in-kind resources.
- Do not include money you plan to draw from your reserves during the upcoming funding period.
Anticipated revenues for the upcoming funding period Revenue source Currency requested US dollars Status (e.g. guaranteed, application) Wikimedia Foundation 12,000,000 180,000 Proposal and work plan submitted to Wikimedia Foundation Telangana Government, India 2,000,000 30,000 Discussion started, work-plan to be submitted Total revenues (should equal the sum of the rows): 14,000,000 210,000 -
Table 5 notes: If your organization has significant funding other than FDC funds, please note how those funds will be used.
Operating reserves: current and upcoming yearsEdit
Please note that there is a policy that places restrictions on how much FDC funding your organization can use to build its operating reserves. If you would like to use FDC funding to for your organization's reserves, you must note that here. You will not be able to decide to allocate FDC funding from this grant to your reserves at a later date.
- 1. What is your plan for maintaining, building, or spending your reserves in the current year and the upcoming funding period? Please use the table below to show the amounts in your reserves at the beginning, year-to-date, and end of your current year, and the amount you plan to have in your reserves by the end of the upcoming funding period.
In 2016-2017 work plan year, CIS-A2K did not use FDC fund for operating reserve. This year also we are not going to reserve any fund for the purpose.
Year Year start Year start (US) Year-to-date Year-to-date (US) Year end Year end (US) Current year (e.g. 2017) N. A. N. A. N. A. N. A. N. A. N. A. Upcoming year (e.g. 2018) - - - - N. A. N. A.
- 2. How much FDC funding is your organization requesting to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period? If you are not requesting any FDC funding to add to your reserves in the upcoming funding period, you can write zero.
- We are not requesting any fund to add to our reserves.
Expenses: upcoming year's annual planEdit
- 1. Expenses by program (excludes staff and operations).
- Program expenses are the costs associated specifically with your organization's programs, and do not include operating expenses or staff salaries, which will be described in separate tables. Program expenses may be the costs of an event, the costs of outreach materials specific to a program, budgets for microgrants and reimbursements, or technical costs associated with specific programs, for example. The programs listed in this table should correspond to the programs you have listed in the programs section of this proposal form.
Budget for FLA Currency requested US dollars Skill Building Initiatives 553,750 8,306.25 Content Enrichment 581,750 8,726.25 Wikipedia Education Program 244,750 3,671.25 GLAM activities 274,750 4,121.25 Budget for General Support and Service to the Movement in India Skill Building Initiatives 1,764,250 26,193.75 Content Enrichment 1,514,250 22,713.75 Wikipedia Education Program 749,250 11,238.75 GLAM activities 1,294,250 19,413.75 Total program expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 6,977,000 104,655
- 2. Total expenses. Please use this table to summarize your organization's total expenses overall.
- These are divided into three categories: (1) staff expenses from Table 4 (including expenses for staff working on both programs and operations), (2) expenses for programs from Table 7 (does not include staff expenses or operations expenses), and (3) expenses for operations (does not include staff expenses or program expenses). Be sure to check the totals in this table to make sure they are consistent with the totals in the other tables you have submitted with this form. For example, your total program expenses excluding staff will be equal to the total in Table 7, while your total staff expenses will be equal to the total in Table 4 and your total expenses will be equal to the total in Table 1.
Expense type Currency requested US dollars Program expenses (total from Table 7, excludes staff) 6,977,000 104,655 Operations (excludes staff and programs) 400,000 6,000 Upcoming staff total expenses (from Table 4) 3,865,512.1 57,982.68 Total expenses (should equal the sum of the rows) 11,242,512.1 168,637.68
Table 8 notes:
Verification and signatureEdit
Please enter "yes" or "no" for the verification below.
- The term “political or legislative activities” includes any activities relating to political campaigns or candidates (including the contribution of funds and the publication of position statements relating to political campaigns or candidates); voter registration activities; meetings with or submissions and petitions to government executives, ministers, officers or agencies on political or policy issues; and any other activities seeking government intervention or policy implementation (like “lobbying”), whether directed toward the government or the community or public at large. General operating support through the FDC may not be used to cover political and legislative activities, although you may make a separate grant agreement with the WMF for these purposes.
I verify that no funds from the Wikimedia Foundation will be used
for political or legislative activities except as permitted by a grant agreement
Please sign below to complete this proposal form.
- IMPORTANT. Please do not make any changes to this proposal form after the proposal submission deadline for this round. If a change that is essential to an understanding of your organization's proposal is needed, please request the change on the discussion page of this form so it may be reviewed by FDC staff. Once submitted, complete and valid proposal forms submitted on time by eligible organizations will be considered unless an organization withdraws its application in writing or fails to remain eligible for the duration of the FDC process.
Please sign here once this proposal form is complete, using four tildes. Lahariyaniyathi (talk) 19:27, 1 April 2017 (UTC)
- This amount includes in-kind support
- (INR 200,000 In-kind support for all the activities)
- (USD 2,918 In-kind support for all the activities)
- (INR 200,000 In-kind support for all the activities)
- (USD2,918 In-kind support for all the activities)