Wikitongues is a global nonprofit community of over 1,000 volunteers working to ensure every person has the tools to preserve, promote, and pass their languages on to the next generation. In addition to distributing accessible frameworks for language preservation, we're building a public archive of oral histories in every language in the world. This user group facilitates contribution from our initiative to Wikimedia projects.
Wikitongues began as a grassroots initiative in 2014 and has been a registered 501(c)(3) not-for-profit since 2016.
Wikitongues is increasing the scope of language content for Wikimedia projects and expanding their overall linguistic diversity.
All appropriately licensed Wikitongues content is hosted on the the Wikimedia Commons.
- We recruit volunteers to record video oral histories in their native language.
- We contribute all appropriately licensed Wikitongues language documentation to relevant Wikimedia projects.
- We introduce language activists to the Wikimedia movement and educate the general public about:
- Linguistic preservation;
- Oral history production; and
- Digital media publishing as it pertains to Creative Commons Licensing.
Wikitongues aims to organize events that expand the quantity and quality of language-related content on Wikimedia projects and improve the overall linguistic diversity of Wikimedia. These will include translate-a-thons, edit-a-thons, and “record-a-thons” for the Wikimedia Commons.
- We coordinate with local WMF affiliates and partners to organize translate-a-thons for Wikimedia projects.
- In the future, we aim to organize Wikipedia training sessions for language activists who wish to launch Wikipedia editions in their language.
- Daniel Bogre Udell (talk) gave a lightning talk about language preservation in the digital age.
- Subhashish Panigrahi (talk) gave a tutorial about Kathabhidhana, open source software for contributing words and phonemes to Wiktionary.
- Daniel Bogre Udell (talk), Subhashish Panigrahi (talk), Sailesh Patnaik staffed a Wikitongues table at the community village.
2018 was a big year for Wikitongues and Wikimedia!
- We launched our official Wikimedia user group.
- We participated in Wikipedia Day 2018 in New York City
- We updated our licensing system to track language documentation under CCbySA.
- We co-organized the April 2018 Translate-A-Thon at LaGuardia Community College in New York City.
- We co-organized the Wiki Loves Pride Edit-A-Thon.
- We participated at Wikimania 2018 in Cape Town
- Ben Jones-White presented Wikitongues at WikiConference North America in Ohio.
- We contributed over 300 language videos to the Wikimedia Commons.
- We systemized the Wikitongues-Wikimedia contribution flow for future language videos.
- We co-organized the first-ever Afro-Recordathon in at LaGuardia Community College in New York City.
All 2019 activities to date may be found in our 2018-2019 User Group report.
How to ContributeEdit
Submit a videoEdit
Join our volunteer communityEdit
Anyone who speaks a language (everyone) is invited join our community: either add your name to the community section below or fill out our volunteer application.
- If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to leave them on the talk page.
- You can also visit us online at wikitongues.org or drop us a line at hello wikitongues.org.
To join us, simply add your name below.
- Daniel Bogre Udell (talk) 20:00, 22 January 2018 (UTC)
- Subhashish Panigrahi (talk) 20:13, 22 January 2018 (UTC)
- Sailesh Patnaik 03:19, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
- Chinmayee Mishra (talk) 21:53, 25 January 2018 (UTC)
- Satdeep Gill (talk) 16:00, 30 January 2018 (UTC)
- Atlasowa (talk) 10:35, 31 January 2018 (UTC)
- Aliceba (talk) 20:50, 24 February 2018 (UTC)
- Anass Sedrati (talk) 10:56, 12 March 2018 (UTC)
- Abhinavgarule (talk) 10:45, 16 March 2018 (UTC)
- Rossouw van Rooyen (talk) 13:38, 28 March 2018 (UTC)
- Abantika 02:47, 24 April 2018 (UTC)
- User:Zoe Malik 18:28, 25 April 2018 (UTC)
- User:RaananRobertson 02:34, 01 May 2018 (UTC)
- Sami Mlouhi (talk) 09:49, 03 May 2018 (UTC)
- Sophie Kuzma (talk) 02:09, 10 May 2018 (UTC)
- Alexmar983 (talk) 16:55, 11 May 2018 (UTC)
- Amqui (talk) 17:22, 11 May 2018 (UTC)
- -Hasive • talk • 10:31, 12 May 2018 (UTC)
- Jawad Yuwono 12:59, 12 May 2018 (UTC)
- —M@sssly✉ 14:09, 12 May 2018 (UTC)
- --Holder (talk) 08:07, 17 May 2018 (UTC)
- Abderrahman Ait Ali
- Mompati Dikunwane (talk) 18:43, 13 June 2018 (UTC)
- Adroit (talk)
- Jennifer C Young (talk) 06:12, 4 July 2018 (UTC)
- Lokesha kunchadka
- Isaac Kanguya (talk) 09:40, 25 July 2018 (UTC)
- Matheus Berriel (talk) 14:39, 27 July 2018 (UTC)
- Faandrade (talk) 02:44, 10 August 2018 (UTC)
- Olaniyan Olushola (talk) 23:51, 24 August 2018 (UTC)
- FULBERT (talk) 00:39, 30 August 2018 (UTC)
- Rajeeb (talk) 21:05, 11 September 2018 (UTC)
- Mohammed Bachounda (talk) 10:52, 16 September 2018 (UTC)
- --Ziko (talk) 04:57, 31 October 2018 (UTC)
- Abbad (talk) 00:10, 27 November 2018 (UTC).
- Kristen Tcherneshoff 03:19, 23 January 2018 (UTC)
- Marwan Mohamad (talk) 23.02, 11 Februari 2019 (UTC)
- Filipinayzd (talk) 09:44, 13 February 2019 (UTC)
- Blair Gilbert (talk) 2:26, 17 March 2019 (UTC)
- Liang(WMTW) (talk) 18:11, 24 March 2019 (UTC)
- Tung-Le Pan (talk) 18:02, 17 May 2019 (UTC)
- Ba Mwine01 (talk) 10:04, 1 June 2019 (UTC)
- Kaizenify (talk) 09:22, 26 June 2019 (UTC)
- Muhraz (talk) 14:29, 17 August 2019 (UTC)
- BNA-PS (talk) 07:11, 18 August 2019 (UTC)
- Ashay vb (talk) 15:12, 18 August 2019 (UTC)
- Vishwanatha Badikana (talk) 16:52, 26 August 2019 (UTC)
- WikiLucas00 (talk) 21:22, 26 September 2019 (UTC)
- ToniSant (talk) 12:12, 17 November 2019 (UTC)
- Nevborg (talk) 08:59, 26 March 2020 (UTC)