Wikimedians India Technical User Group of wikimedians which work on various Wikimedia projects, Application and Community request. The group is also working with Indic communities to collect their problems/requests and try to fix an issue. Anyone can become a member of this group.
- Spreading the ideas of Wikimedia projects.
- Introducing Wikipedia technologies to volunteer/member.
- Encouraging people to become contributors.
- Maintaining the community and obtaining more community members.
- Helping on cooperation with other communities or institutions.
- Helping to other community if they have any technical problem.
Plans for activitiesEdit
- Conducting Hackathon/Workshops and Meetups.
- Promotion of Wikimedia projects and Free content in general. To encourage the use of Wikimedia resources in education
- Organize workshops of Wikimedia technology for a community member/College student.
- Develop new student technical group.
- Will organize more outreach program to increase awareness about the Wikimedia technical education.
happened on june 28 2014 at the IIT Bombay in Mumbai. It was a one day, 8-hour event focusing on getting people
together to hack on stuff related to all Wikimedia projects.
We have mentioned in our goal that we wanted to involve students in this Hackathon. This helped us to create new volunteers for Wikipedia. These students are now having knowledge of Wikimedia technologies
WikiConference India 2016Edit
A hackathon is a gathering where programmers collaboratively code in an extreme manner over a short period of time. Hackathons are at least a few days. This coding event happening concurrently with the WikiConference India 2016. We are welcoming all Technical/Programmer participant in a hackathon. The hackathon's 35 participants made substantial progress with the following projects:
- WikiSpeak with native language (web and Android): Speaking the text of Wikipedia articles
- Edit Tamil Wiktionary (Android)
- Audio file upload to Wikidata (Android): Assists users in uploading small files that demonstrate the pronunciation of lexical items
- A layer that shows local Wikipedia articles on a Google Map
- Optical character recognition for Hindi and Malayalam
- Communication platform [WebRTC] (Web Application): Santosh wrote this app himself; hackathon participants used it to communicate
- Notifications: browser notifications for Wikipedia functions such as recent changes
Open source contributionsEdit
Firefox OS hackathonEdit
We have experiences to attend Hackathon, but it was the first time to organize Hackathon at our place. Since the duration of organizing was pretty less, decisions had to be taken quickly and accurately. Soumya and Kaustav, helped me get through all the pre-event activities like Swags Request, Budget Request, etc. Hackathon began with introductory sessions by Frédéric Harper, Sr. Technical Evangelist at Mozilla.
- The bylaws of the organisation are available here.
You can connect with us in the talk page of this page, or by email to the sysops at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are also active on Twitter and Facebook group and page. During our IRC office hours, you can catch up in the IRC channel #India-Technical-Group.
Interested in participatingEdit
- Santosh Shingare (talk) 13:25, 3 January 2019 (UTC)
- Harish satpute (talk) 09:21, 7 January 2019 (UTC)
- Skasturee (talk) 15:06, 7 January 2019 (UTC)
- Shriamit1 (talk) 08:46, 8 January 2019 (UTC)
- Asmita Pote (talk) 11:37, 8 January 2019 (UTC)
- Raut123 (talk) 11:40, 8 January 2019 (UTC)
- Dhiruraghuvanshi (talk) 04:45, 10 January 2019 (UTC)
- Aniket.shende (talk) 06:07, 10 January 2019 (UTC)
- Radha.shende (talk) 06:22, 10 January 2019 (UTC)
- Nalawade.ashwini (talk) 06:29, 10 January 2019 (UTC)
- Kselvarani (talk) 11:26, 30 January 2019 (UTC)
- Ranjithsiji (talk) 04:08, 31 March 2019 (UTC)
- Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 07:01, 31 March 2019 (UTC)
- Bhuvana Meenakshi (talk) 10:00,29 January 2020 (UTC)