Wikimedia Diversity Conference 2017/Scholarships
|Main||Program||Scholarships||Ambassadors||Volunteers||Participants||Venue and visa||Travel guide||Discussion||Documentation|
Scholarships will be given to participants based on the information given at registration about previous engagement and experiences, intention to assist in the successful planning and execution of the conference, and future engagement. Applicants are advised to look at the role of ambassadors for ideas of how to engage with the conference planning.
Other Wikimedia affiliates might also award scholarships for e.g. the cost of travel. All participants are responsible for making their own travel arrangements, including successful scholarship applicants.
Participants can apply for one of these three types of scholarships.
(1) Scholarship for conference participation This scholarship covers the cost of conference participation, including one social dinner, two lunches, two larger "fika" and two smaller ones. Number of type 1 scholarships: 25
(2) Scholarship for conference participation + accommodation. This scholarship is mainly intended for participants traveling from either Sweden or Europe OR participants with travel expenses covered by e.g. another Chapter. This scholarship covers participation and shared accommodation at the Conference hotel. Number of type 2 scholarships: 20
(3) Scholarship for conference participation + accommodation + support for travel expenses. Currently 287 USD is secured for each scholarship recipient to cover part of the travel cost (we are looking for more funding opportunities). Number of type 3 scholarships: 35
- Sunday 20 Aug: Deadline for Scholarship applications for accommodation and travel
- 21 Aug - 27 Aug: Application review by Scholarship committee
- By 31 August: All successful scholarship applicants are notified
- Successful scholarship notifications delayed. Please see announcement.
- Sara Mörtsell (WMSE)
- Netha Hussain
- John Andersson (WMSE)
- Anass Sedrati
- Felix Nartey
- Sofie Sigrinn
Criteria for ScholarshipsEdit
Eligibility to applyEdit
We’re looking for attendees who:
- Participate in Wikimedia projects in their capacity as staff or volunteer.
- Can share information about diversity in the community they work with, able to identify the challenges and propose solutions for the same.
- Want to work together and share strategies to support and promote diversity in Wikimedia.
- Are from a diverse range of backgrounds and experience levels. Anyone with rare or notable experience or background that would add value to the event are particularly welcome.
Scholarship award will be based on the following criteria:
Impact on Wikimedia communityEdit
Examples of impact on Wikimedia community:
- Improved the skills/increased the awareness of persons from underrepresented groups about Wikimedia projects (such as organizing an event for teaching senior citizens to edit Wikipedia).
- Identified/addressed content gaps/participation gaps in Wikimedia movement (conducted research about gender gap on Wikipedia’s content, created a social media platform for helping LGBT+ Wikimedians to socialize and collaborate).
- Increased access to Wikimedia projects among underrepresented groups (worked on Wikipedia Zero to allow free access to Wikipedia, improved Kiwix to support offline Wikipedia).
Collaboration within the movementEdit
Examples of collaboration within the movement:
- Has undertaken leadership roles to promote diversity of participation in Wikimedia projects (such as started a taskforce or Wikiproject to bring knowledge from/about Indian art forms).
- Has championed for the cause of diversity by working with/for underrepresented groups as a leader or ally and increased their visibility within Wikimedia projects (worked on anti-harassment policy, wrote a press article about Wikimedians with special needs).
- Has helped to bring about cultural change towards making Wikimedia projects more accessible and welcoming to underrepresented groups (worked on notability policy to allow perspectives from underrepresented groups on Wikipedia, advocated for diversity in Wikimedia movement’s strategy process).
- Has worked towards creating partnerships between Wikimedia movement and external organizations that resonate Wikimedia’s value of commitment to openness and diversity.
Participants are encouraged to think beyond these examples and write freely about any experience they think is valid in the context of diversity in Wikimedia movement. We are particularly looking for rare experiences and perspectives that can be shaped into a concrete idea or a working goal during the conference.