Wikimania 2009/Judging criteria
|Main page (site)|
|Wikimania 2005 (site)|
|Wikimania 2006 (site)|
|Wikimania 2007 (site)|
|Wikimania 2008 (site)|
see also the 2008 judging criteria
Quality of venueEdit
- General suitability: suitability, proximity to accommodation, number and size of rooms available, whether Wikimania will be the sole user of the venue during the event, venue owner's experience with handling conferences of this size
- Internet access: access within the venue, access within the accommodation, access within the social areas. Whether or not free access can be provided. Whether or not the area is covered by wi-fi. Provision of laptop rental (and cost of this)
- Social areas: whether a space for socialising is available, whether that space is open 24 hours a day, proximity to venue and accommodation, facilities available (food, drinks, internet access)
Location, location, locationEdit
- Accommodation: proximity to venue, suitability, variety available, availability for the event as well as for the hacking days and post-event meetings
- General location: proximity to an international airport, facilities nearby (restaurants, tourist sites for outings, etc)
- Local laws, customs, attitudes, and culture: whether these are likely to provide any benefits or problems for attendees, and whether they are in keeping with the values of the Wikimedia Foundation
- Separate note about safety and potential catastrophes, for venues that make attendees wary (help needed to measure safety here and avoid this becoming a point for unsourced political/religious debates)
- Visas/immigration: any issues with attending this location from any other location, difficulty and cost, possibility of local help with getting these
- Rotation of location: whether the location is too close to Wikimania location in the preceding 1-2 years, primarily an extension of "cost/ease of attendance" varying significantly with distance from the location.
- Organizing team: number of local Wikimedians willing to help, skills available (technical, networking, PR, financial, English language for communication with WMF/international communities, etc.), experience with arranging prior events and conferences
- Organizational support from local governments, universities, venues, and NGOs.
- Press: Media interest and PR opportunities: prior and expected interest, both locally and internationally
Cost/ease of attendanceEdit
- General cost: of accomodation, food, net access after hours, phone service, &c.
- Funding: amount of local sponsorship available
- Travel: costs of travel to the location from various countries, particularly those with high numbers of Wikimedians, options available for travel (alternatives to flying). Cost of lodging stay for attendees. Cost of travel within city.