Please make sure to log in to Wikimedia Meta before creating your Proposal. If your submission is selected, we will contact your Wikipedia account so make sure your Username is correct.
- Title of the submission
Newcomer Retention on English Wikipedia
- Your Username (For the submission author)
- Type of presentation
- Abstract (in about 300 words)
In the last few years, the number of active editors on the English Wikipedia has reduced, thanks to automation and article patrolling. There are too many difficulties facing a newcomer on Wikipedia to actively contribute. This presentation will talk about four on-Wiki measures that attempt to reduce them.
- The Teahouse has become an active friendly place for newcomers to ask questions and be answered
- There are editors who Adopt newcomers while some measures were made to make a dedicated mentorship space.
- Tools like Snuggle help identify useful newcomers who contribute to a project, so experienced editors can invite them
- Interactive tools like The Wikipedia Adventure make it easier for newcomers to learn the basics of editing on their own.
- A really interesting talk. I would like to attend it.--Satdeep Gill (talk) 18:46, 13 July 2016 (UTC)
- Jim Carter (talk) 09:15, 14 July 2016 (UTC)
- Tito Dutta (talk) 19:20, 20 July 2016 (UTC)
- Would love to discuss and collaborate further. This has a few relations to Growth Hacking and other new concepts. Dharav Solanki --18.104.22.168 14:39, 22 July 2016 (UTC)